Ares Games

Thread: Big Ships - Battlestar Galactica Weapons

Default Big Ships - Battlestar Galactica Weapons

What does the Galactica have for weapons? As best I can determine, from other sources, and image analysis, it is something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GAL_BSG_Ortho_Top_&_Bottom_Guns.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	294994

This thing has a Bunch of Point Defence weapons! The PD weapons on the engine nacelles are located above and below the approach path to the Hangar Pods (nice!), so that shouldn't be a problem on approach, if the pilot doesn't try anything too extreme. There aren't many (by what I can determine) on the center belly of the ship, nor on the bottom of the Hangar Pods (although there are some along the bottom edge of the belly that could bear below the Hangar Pods.

If we extrapolate Neil's [Skafloc] ship rules, perhaps we can come up with what these things do for range and damage? Asteriod chits for the Main Guns at two to four rulers (using WGF/S AA rules), and regular chits for the PD weapons (Viper shooting rules)? For PD weapons, use a chit per battery, as opposed to a chit per turret? Still very ugly (as it should be, I suppose).

Thoughts?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

In my 1/700 Pacific War gaming, my experience of attempting to regulate anti-Kamikaze AA defence on WW2 U.S. Navy warships, most of which were festooned with myriads of 20mm and 40mm guns to supplement their 5 inch Dual Purpose secondary battery, was to give up on gun-by-gun systems, and also on gun mount groupings, but instead to concentrate on area defence, grouped by available fire direction equipment.

For example:
    a 1941 vintage 1/700 scale U.S. battleship model kit, such as the U.S.S. 'North Carolina', presented with a battery of ten 5 inch guns on each side (5 x twin turrets), with sixteen 1.1 inch automatics (4 x quad mount "Chicago Pianos", two on each beam), and twenty single 20mm Oerlikon cannons, ten per side.

I had the 5 inch guns fire by Director (4 carried, diamond layout, so up to 3 on one beam) - one die roll for each shot.
    The 1.1 inch fired by mounting, so two rolls on either beam, 4 guns to each single die roll.
    The 20mm guns fired by groups, from single mounts up to 3 guns per die roll (assumed to be under the orders of the senior officer in each location).

This was quite easy, even for a battleship, and each "shot" engaged a declared target model aircraft. Up to 8 aircraft could be engaged on one beam, leaving a maximum of 6 shots available on the other beam.
    Of course, the great majority of warship models had considerably fewer gun mountings (some destroyer model kits had none at all beyond the 5 inch single mounts, and usually only 4 or 5 of those, mounted on the centreline and controlled by a single fire-director, so only generating a single defensive AA die roll each turn).

By 1945, the 1/700 scale U.S.S. 'North Carolina' kit still carried the 20 5 inch guns in two 10-gun batteries, with 4 directors, but now had 15 quad-mount 40mm guns, plus some 55 single 20mm Oerlikons; far too many to adjudicate by die rolls based on gun groupings - more than 20 separate aircraft targets could be simultaneously engaged on each side simultaneously, so 40 die rolls per game turn!

My solution was to divide the defence fire into "zone defence" die rolls - long range (5 inch), medium range (40mm) and close range (20mm).
    Attacking aircraft could be engaged by any or all of the available "zones", depending on range: at close range, a lone attacking plane could thus draw the fire of ALL the defence zones on that beam!
    eg.
    Port Beam
    2 x 5 inch "zones" Long Range, 2 and 3 turret groups of 5-inch twin mountings
    4 x 40mm "zones" Medium Range, 2 x 40mm quads together
    4 x 20mm "zones" Short Range, 6 single 20mm guns together

if a lone attacker moves to close range, all 10 "zones" will engage it (and it WILL be destroyed!)

If 5 planes approach, 2 @ Close, 2 @ Medium and 1 @ Long, the battleship could choose to engage the Long Range target with both 5inch "zones", and both Medium Range targets with 2 "zones" each of 40mm, and also the two Close Range targets with 2 "zones" each of 20mm, thereby bringing all 5 attackers under fire. Ten die rolls in total.
    Alternatively, she could elect to engage only the two closest targets, with FIVE "zones" onto each (1 Long, 2 Medium and 2 Close) to make sure of killing them, and ignoring the other three.

The "re-imagined" 'Galactica' would be easier to run; only two ranges, Long and Short.....

Idea #1
    Long-range guns can engage individual fighters or ships (Base Stars!), not both simultaneously, and may not engage missiles at Close Range.
    Point Defence guns spray out ordnance in "curtains" of area fire into their fire arc, without targeting individual fighters and/or missiles (may NOT engage Ships).
    Assign fire arcs to the 'Galactica' (I suggest 6, in line with the hex cards) but with the broadside arcs double-sized; so Front Port, Front Starboard, Rear Port, Rear Starboard, Port Broadside (double size), Starboard Broadside (double sized).
    Long Range guns can track into any fire arc into which they can traverse - player choice.
    Short Range Point Defence can never engage outside their own arc.

In the TV series, at the Battle of Ragnar Anchorage, 'Galactica' emerged from the storm and immediately turned broadside-on to the Cylons, presumably to maximise the number of weapons she could bring to bear, both for offence and for defence.
    Apollo advised the Viper pilots: "For Frak's sake stay out of 'Galactica's firing solution!", which to my mind implies that the Point Defence weapons will engage ANY small target in their fire "zone", friend or foe.

Having the Long Range guns targeting specific models and inflicting Asteroid chits sounds good, but could result in mass chit-draws which will bring the game to a halt.
    Having the Point Defence guns inflict regular chits also sounds good, but the sheer number needed to be drawn and applied might be a problem?

My idea - have the Point Defence in a Broadside "zone" inflict, say, 30 chits, but have 5 chits auto-destroy a single target, without needing them to be physically drawn.
    Thus, if three Cylon Raiders enter the Broadside zone firing solution, they are all automatically destroyed, without needing any chits to be drawn (3 x 5).
    However, if the 3 Raiders each launch 2 missiles, there are now 9 targets (3 x 3) so they cannot all be auto-destroyed (this would need 9 x 5 = 45 chits).
    The Colonial player might choose to auto-destroy all 6 missiles (6 x 5), and assign Long Range Guns to engage the 3 Raiders (drawing Asteroid chits).

The Cylon player would therefore need to position his Raiders and missiles in such a way as to swamp 'Galactica's defences, since penny-packet attacks will always fail.

The Colonial player will need to keep his Vipers out of harm's way - they will be engaged by 'Galactica's Point Defence!

If the number of targets in the broadside "zone" exceeds 6, the Point Defence should eliminate targets one by one, starting with the closest, expending 5 chits on each (without drawing them) regardless of whether they are Raiders, Vipers or missiles.

Obviously, if the Cylons can attack from one of the smaller "zones" they will face much less Point Defence fire, perhaps only 10 chits, so a smaller number of Raiders will be able to achieve some successes.

Idea #2
    As above, but with "Dradis" fire control.
    This would allow the Colonial player to allocate defence assets against specific, selected targets of his own choice, regardless of Range.
    For instance, against a Cylon attack consisting of 3 Raiders, 2 missiles and 1 "Nuke" missile @ Long range, 5 missiles and 2 "Nuke" missiles @ Close range, a "Dradis" defence could allow 10 chits to kill the 2 Close "Nukes" (greatest threat), 5 more against the distant "Nuke" and the remaining 15 taking out 3 more Close missiles; Long Range guns can target the Raiders and the last 2 Close missiles ae allowed through to impact the ship, hopefully on the Armour.

Sorry to waffle on, but you did ask for thoughts, and mine are a bit scatter-shot at the moment!
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 12-02-2020 at 14:34.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    In my 1/700 Pacific War gaming, my experience of attempting to regulate anti-Kamikaze AA defence on WW2 U.S. Navy warships, most of which were festooned with myriads of 20mm and 40mm guns to supplement their 5 inch Dual Purpose secondary battery, was to give up on gun-by-gun systems, and also on gun mount groupings, but instead to concentrate on area defence, grouped by available fire direction equipment.

For example:
    a 1941 vintage 1/700 scale U.S. battleship model kit, such as the U.S.S. 'North Carolina', presented with a battery of ten 5 inch guns on each side (5 x twin turrets), with sixteen 1.1 inch automatics (4 x quad mount "Chicago Pianos", two on each beam), and twenty single 20mm Oerlikon cannons, ten per side.

I had the 5 inch guns fire by Director (4 carried, diamond layout, so up to 3 on one beam) - one die roll for each shot.
    The 1.1 inch fired by mounting, so two rolls on either beam, 4 guns to each single die roll.
    The 20mm guns fired by groups, from single mounts up to 3 guns per die roll (assumed to be under the orders of the senior officer in each location).

This was quite easy, even for a battleship, and each "shot" engaged a declared target model aircraft. Up to 8 aircraft could be engaged on one beam, leaving a maximum of 6 shots available on the other beam.
    Of course, the great majority of warship models had considerably fewer gun mountings (some destroyer model kits had none at all beyond the 5 inch single mounts, and usually only 4 or 5 of those, mounted on the centreline and controlled by a single fire-director, so only generating a single defensive AA die roll each turn).

By 1945, the 1/700 scale U.S.S. 'North Carolina' kit still carried the 20 5 inch guns in two 10-gun batteries, with 4 directors, but now had 15 quad-mount 40mm guns, plus some 55 single 20mm Oerlikons; far too many to adjudicate by die rolls based on gun groupings - more than 20 separate aircraft targets could be simultaneously engaged on each side simultaneously, so 40 die rolls per game turn!

My solution was to divide the defence fire into "zone defence" die rolls - long range (5 inch), medium range (40mm) and close range (20mm).
    Attacking aircraft could be engaged by any or all of the available "zones", depending on range: at close range, a lone attacking plane could thus draw the fire of ALL the defence zones on that beam!
    eg.
    Port Beam
    2 x 5 inch "zones" Long Range, 2 and 3 turret groups of 5-inch twin mountings
    4 x 40mm "zones" Medium Range, 2 x 40mm quads together
    4 x 20mm "zones" Short Range, 6 single 20mm guns together

if a lone attacker moves to close range, all 10 "zones" will engage it (and it WILL be destroyed!)

If 5 planes approach, 2 @ Close, 2 @ Medium and 1 @ Long, the battleship could choose to engage the Long Range target with both 5inch "zones", and both Medium Range targets with 2 "zones" each of 40mm, and also the two Close Range targets with 2 "zones" each of 20mm, thereby bringing all 5 attackers under fire. Ten die rolls in total.
    Alternatively, she could elect to engage only the two closest targets, with FIVE "zones" onto each (1 Long, 2 Medium and 2 Close) to make sure of killing them, and ignoring the other three.

The "re-imagined" 'Galactica' would be easier to run; only two ranges, Long and Short.....

Idea #1
    Long-range guns can engage individual fighters or ships (Base Stars!), not both simultaneously, and may not engage missiles at Close Range.
    Point Defence guns spray out ordnance in "curtains" of area fire into their fire arc, without targeting individual fighters and/or missiles (may NOT engage Ships).
    Assign fire arcs to the 'Galactica' (I suggest 6, in line with the hex cards) but with the broadside arcs double-sized; so Front Port, Front Starboard, Rear Port, Rear Starboard, Port Broadside (double size), Starboard Broadside (double sized).
    Long Range guns can track into any fire arc into which they can traverse - player choice.
    Short Range Point Defence can never engage outside their own arc.

In the TV series, at the Battle of Ragnar Anchorage, 'Galactica' emerged from the storm and immediately turned broadside-on to the Cylons, presumably to maximise the number of weapons she could bring to bear, both for offence and for defence.
    Apollo advised the Viper pilots: "For Frak's sake stay out of 'Galactica's firing solution!", which to my mind implies that the Point Defence weapons will engage ANY small target in their fire "zone", friend or foe.

Having the Long Range guns targeting specific models and inflicting Asteroid chits sounds good, but could result in mass chit-draws which will bring the game to a halt.
    Having the Point Defence guns inflict regular chits also sounds good, but the sheer number needed to be drawn and applied might be a problem?

My idea - have the Point Defence in a Broadside "zone" inflict, say, 30 chits, but have 5 chits auto-destroy a single target, without needing them to be physically drawn.
    Thus, if three Cylon Raiders enter the Broadside zone firing solution, they are all automatically destroyed, without needing any chits to be drawn (3 x 5).
    However, if the 3 Raiders each launch 2 missiles, there are now 9 targets (3 x 3) so they cannot all be auto-destroyed (this would need 9 x 5 = 45 chits).
    The Colonial player might choose to auto-destroy all 6 missiles (6 x 5), and assign Long Range Guns to engage the 3 Raiders (drawing Asteroid chits).

The Cylon player would therefore need to position his Raiders and missiles in such a way as to swamp 'Galactica's defences, since penny-packet attacks will always fail.

The Colonial player will need to keep his Vipers out of harm's way - they will be engaged by 'Galactica's Point Defence!

If the number of targets in the broadside "zone" exceeds 6, the Point Defence should eliminate targets one by one, starting with the closest, expending 5 chits on each (without drawing them) regardless of whether they are Raiders, Vipers or missiles.

Obviously, if the Cylons can attack from one of the smaller "zones" they will face much less Point Defence fire, perhaps only 10 chits, so a smaller number of Raiders will be able to achieve some successes.

Idea #2
    As above, but with "Dradis" fire control.
    This would allow the Colonial player to allocate defence assets against specific, selected targets of his own choice, regardless of Range.
    For instance, against a Cylon attack consisting of 3 Raiders, 2 missiles and 1 "Nuke" missile @ Long range, 5 missiles and 2 "Nuke" missiles @ Close range, a "Dradis" defence could allow 10 chits to kill the 2 Close "Nukes" (greatest threat), 5 more against the distant "Nuke" and the remaining 15 taking out 3 more Close missiles; Long Range guns can target the Raiders and the last 2 Close missiles ae allowed through to impact the ship, hopefully on the Armour.

Sorry to waffle on, but you did ask for thoughts, and mine are a bit scatter-shot at the moment!
    Some good ideas in the above.

Play balance is the key, as I found out with the HMS Glorious. If you limit the Stukas to slow speed with full bomb loads, and the AA guns have a four ruler range, you need four or more Stukas to get bombs on the deck. Most of the Stukas don't survive to get to the ship, let alone get off the map.

With a Galactica scenario, there should be lots of ships on the table, though. A Cloud of attackers and a bunch of defenders, with the Galactica as the main target. So, if the scenario allows for that many ships/players, the PD weapons might have to prioritize the incoming missiles, and not be shooting at too many Raiders.
    Mike

Some very good thoughts there, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Some good ideas in the above.

Play balance is the key, as I found out with the HMS Glorious. If you limit the Stukas to slow speed with full bomb loads, and the AA guns have a four ruler range, you need four or more Stukas to get bombs on the deck. Most of the Stukas don't survive to get to the ship, let alone get off the map.

With a Galactica scenario, there should be lots of ships on the table, though. A Cloud of attackers and a bunch of defenders, with the Galactica as the main target. So, if the scenario allows for that many ships/players, the PD weapons might have to prioritize the incoming missiles, and not be shooting at too many Raiders.
    Mike: did you use the solo rules for AAA in the WGS box? They make shipboard AAA a bit less daunting.
    That said, late war USN ships were almost impossible to get to with conventional bombing attacks. Thus the Kamikazes.
    I know there's a thread about this that was started several years ago based on an Origins game.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Maybe you should investigate the effectiveness of modern point defence gun systems like Goalkeeper or Vulcan Phalanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Maybe you should investigate the effectiveness of modern point defence gun systems like Goalkeeper or Vulcan Phalanx.
    I've seen a 'live fire' exercise with a Phalanx. It was very impressive.

If a ship had 20 batteries of twin Phalanx turrets, it would be suicide to attack it with manned vehicles. And staying clear of the firing solution would be, at a minimum, prudent, if not absolutely necessary for self-preservation.

Here we enter the realm of playability again. Realistically, TV drama aside, any fighter getting in close enough to do a straffing run over a Battlestar would be shredded metal. That would be the same for Star Wars or any other sci-fi show that shows point defense systems and fighters close in to heavy ships.

Game-wise, how do we represent some defense, without obliterating the attackers. If you could table 500 Raiders, then, perhaps the swarm could overwhelm the turret batteries. Especially if they all launched missiles as a screen on the way in.
    Mike

All I can think of is to pick a number, and playtest it to find a number which will allow occasional penetrations of the point defence "curtain".
    Reviewing the combat footage from the TV show might give some idea of the number of defence chits required, but I suspect that the number of weapons/shots used will be inconsistent across combats portrayed in the various episodes. It is a fantasy show, after all.

When the missile expansion comes out in February, and the relative difficulty of shooting down incoming missiles is explained, it might become easier to begin working out large ship Point Defence values.

When the 1978 "Original Series" Vipers, Raiders and ships come out, they will be MUCH easier to manage; no missiles, no "nukes" and Battlestar defence weapons limited to just a few (? 20 or so) twin-laser turrets.

Latest iteration:

Name:	GAL_BSG_Ortho_GunArcs.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	295164

This could be more manageable in a game. How many chits per arc can be decided depending on attacking Raider numbers and defending Viper numbers. Missile affect on this to be determined...

PS: The Main Forward Battery is able to fire directly forward with full power, but only to the forward sides (use the PD weapon arcs) at half strength, as only four of the eight turrets can fire to each side. This Battery can not fire upward, but can fire below the Hangar Pod level. If using 3D rules, the Main Forward Battery can fire at level and downwards, only.

If using 3D rules, any Raider that is below the Hangar Pod level can be targeted by the Ventral PD weapons, with similar arcs and strength of firepower. This effectively doubles the PD weapons for a Battlestar. Also, there is a Main Gun battery on the belly, this is the Main Ventral Battery, with 360 degree arcs.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-06-2020 at 22:49.
    Mike

The 1978 Galactica used point def4ecee laser weapons, which fired in pulses. I seem to remember that it also had heavy lasers and large missiles, which may have been tipped with nukes, for use against Cylon Base Stars.

The use of rapid fire cannons in space would produce a problem in that, because there is no gravity and it is a vacuum, they would release streams or clouds of shells, which miss the target and just keep on going. These would be a hazard to other vessels.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 12-07-2020 at 17:49.

The use of rapid fire cannons in space would produce a problem in that, because there is no gravity and it is a vacuum, they would release streams or clouds of shells, which miss the target and just keep on going. These would be a hazard to other vessels.
    Oh, Yes! Hence the comment, "For Frak's sake stay out of 'Galactica's firing solution!".

Even using physical ammunition now is a problem. What goes up, must come down. And the US has developed a Vulcan Phalanx system for use defending cities from rocket and mortar fire? How do they establish safe firing arcs for those things? 6000 rounds of depleted uranium doesn't all hit the target, so they land somewhere.

Anyway, we're dealing with sci-fi, so we don't have to worry about the mini-missiles all over the map. Unless, as I was working out, no shooting targets from the Galactica through Vipers. If friendly ships are flying about, some arcs may not be allowed to fire during a phase, or Vipers may not be allowed to fly into some arcs because rounds are out-bound. Things like that should be a consideration in all of this. In my opinion, anyway. I did implement house rules for the HMS Glorious for AA guns not shooting through the CAP at incoming bombers, so that friendly planes didn't get hit.
    Mike

Ok, I give in. How large a Galactica would be functionally awesome? I have a cunning plan . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Ok, I give in. How large a Galactica would be functionally awesome? I have a cunning plan . . .
    I get worried when clipper uses the phrase ‘a cunning plan’!!

How about just a Hangar Pod? That would still be huge.

PS: Hmmm... A wall screen with the main body of the Galactica, with a Hangar Pod in 3D coming from it?
    Mike

Just answer the questions and no elves will be starved over Christmas . . .
    Preferred version '78 version or latest?
    Scale of minis?
    Best source of 3 or more view images?
    Best plastic scale model kit available?
    Same info for Cylon base ship?
    I recall some thread with projected Galactica size around 6 foot if I remember it right . . . more meds, more sleep . . . Nice paisley horsey wants a sugar cube . . .?

Scale of minis?
    I recall some thread with projected Galactica size around 6 foot if I remember it right . . . more meds, more sleep . . . Nice paisley horsey wants a sugar cube . . .?
    Size and scales:
    BSG Hangar - Post #6

Visual of the Hangar Pod at 640th scale (33 inches):
    BSG Hangar - Post $14

Video of ship size comparison:
    Youtube.com - Battlestar Galactica STARSHIPS Dimensions|3D

One of the best sources for Battlestar Galactica drawings (IMHO):
    Meshweaver.com / ZOIC: Battlestar Galactica TV Series

Fantastic-Plastic.com - Cylon Base Ship
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-08-2020 at 00:22.
    Mike

The 1978 Galactica used point def4ecee laser weapons, which fired in pulses. I seem to remember that it also had heavy lasers and large missiles, which may have been tipped with nukes, for use against Cylon Base Stars.

I've already mentioned the laser turrets, above.

I remember the anti-ship missiles, huge weapons mounted in silos either side of the "head" part of the ship; the programme used ICBM launch footage to show them leaving the silos! Commander Cain's "Pegasus" used them against a pair of Cylon Base Ships while passing between them.

I don't recall any mention of nuclear munitions, at all. Certainly there was no equivalent of the 'reimagined' series "Radiological Alarm" which was set off by a Cylon Raider opening a hatch and exposing the unlaunched missiles to space (Pilot Episode).

I don't remember any heavy lasers - "Pegasus" didn't use any against the aforementioned Base Ships, just the laser turrets and ICBMs.

The Cylon Base Ships did fire lasers at very long range against incoming Vipers (over Carillon, for instance) but we never got to see Cylon point defence against concerted Viper attack.

There would be absolutely no problem at all in firing off myriads of point-defence projectiles in space - simply include a timing fuse in each projectile, so it self-destructs if it fails to hit a target first.
    Combat "footage" from the show clearly demonstrates that the barrage of point defence ordnance does NOT continue off-screen; the bright dots marking each projectile all "wink out" at a short range beyond the target if they don't hit it. Thus it can be assumed that no hazardous munitions remain to drift through space.

Laser shots would be the greater problem - as pulses of high-energy coherent light, they could in theory carry on for ever! and they have no way of "disarming" themselves in the same way that a time fuse can.
    Fortunately, in practice space is NOT a vacuum; very small amounts of gas and dust exist almost everywhere, so the light pulse would be attenuated in energy and scattered out of tight focus the further it travels. Eventually it would dissipate, but not for a considerable distance.

There would be absolutely no problem at all in firing off myriads of point-defence projectiles in space - simply include a timing fuse in each projectile, so it self-destructs if it fails to hit a target first.
    Combat "footage" from the show clearly demonstrates that the barrage of point defence ordnance does NOT continue off-screen; the bright dots marking each projectile all "wink out" at a short range beyond the target if they don't hit it. Thus it can be assumed that no hazardous munitions remain to drift through space.

Tim,

I'm using that!

PS: There will a caveat. Even with a one-ruler range, they still won't be able to fire through a friendly ship, or with a ship in the same line of fire, and in range of the one ruler distance. If the range ruler passes over the Viper while aiming at a target, the Viper should be included in the spray of projectiles, and draw damage.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-08-2020 at 11:11.
    Mike

Scale of minis?
    Personally, I would go for the latest "reimagined" Series, if only because the Vipers and Raiders from the 1978 show have not yet been released. The 1978 show "big ships" for both sides are fairly common on ebay - I have never seen a "reimagined" Cylon Base Star kit for sale anywhere.
    The 'Ares' minis are ???? - I know the scale is somewhere on the Forum, I just can't find it!
    The 'Moebius'/'Revell' new series Battlestars are 1/1405 scale (as are the 1978 "big ships").
    The 'Revell' new "Galactica" kit is better than the 'Moebius' only in that it has a more comprehensive decal sheet, including coverage of the ship's sides exposed by the deployed landing bays - the moulds are identical.
    The 'Monogram' and 'Revell' Cylon Base Star models from the 1978 show are identical. I have never yet laid eyes on the 'Fantastic-Plastic' reimagined Base Star, or any other version of it other than a wooden scratch-build on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

PS: There will a caveat. Even with a one-ruler range, they still won't be able to fire through a friendly ship, or with a ship in the same line of fire, and in range of the one ruler distance. If the range ruler passes over the Viper while aiming at a target, the Viper should be included in the spray of projectiles, and draw damage.
    Quite right too!

My personal preference would be for the 'Galactica' to lay down a wall of point defence fire, whether or not any "targets" were in range, in anticipation of the possibility of new-launch missiles entering the 'firing solution'. All Vipers would be "banned" from entering the beaten zone - if one did, it would be automatically engaged.
    I don't think the point defence on the TV show is directed or targeted at all - I think it just makes approach next-to-impossible for any potential incoming threats.

Personally, I would go for the latest "reimagined" Series, if only because the Vipers and Raiders from the 1978 show have not yet been released. The 1978 show "big ships" for both sides are fairly common on ebay - I have never seen a "reimagined" Cylon Base Star kit for sale anywhere.
    The 'Ares' minis are ???? - I know the scale is somewhere on the Forum, I just can't find it!
    The 'Moebius'/'Revell' new series Battlestars are 1/1405 scale (as are the 1978 "big ships").
    The 'Revell' new "Galactica" kit is better than the 'Moebius' only in that it has a more comprehensive decal sheet, including coverage of the ship's sides exposed by the deployed landing bays - the moulds are identical.
    The 'Monogram' and 'Revell' Cylon Base Star models from the 1978 show are identical. I have never yet laid eyes on the 'Fantastic-Plastic' reimagined Base Star, or any other version of it other than a wooden scratch-build on ebay.
    Ares BSG fighters are 160th scale, IIRC. Making a scale Battlestar Galactica almost 9 meters long, or completely unwieldy for gaming (not to say anything about transport or storage). All of the models I have seen online of the capital ships have been around 1/4105th scale? This would have a Battlestar at 13.6" (34.5cms), or ludicrously small (although not bad for transport or storage).

As I mentioned above, using 1/640 scale, makes the Hangar Pod 33 inches long. The Battestar would be 87" (221cms), or just beyond manageable, I'd think.
    Mike

D'OH!

Big ships = 1/4105, yes, of course, not 1/1405 as I mistyped.......<<dumbass>>

Thanks, Mike!

Using a 1/640th scale Galactica, and standard play mats (68x98cms), and if I have the scale right in the below image, what two-ruler (48cm) firing arcs might look like for the Hangar Pod PD weapons:

Name:	GAL_TOP_HangarV2_W-MatsPD-Arcs.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	295425

If we extrapolate that the heavy turrets in the top center of the Galactica have four rulers of range (96 cms), then they could hit anything on the mats.

We need a much bigger table...
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. Battlestar Galactica - 3D movement
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum BSG: Rules Help/Stats
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-15-2019, 17:16
  2. Battlestar Galactica
    By andron234 in forum BSG: General Discussions
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 12-30-2018, 12:00
  3. Battlestar Galactica
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 80