OTT / Mission 3A Hold The Line

Main reason I'm including this is that it was the first mission I flew over my brand new mats that I got as a birthday present. What a difference it makes, no longer flying over a table!!!!

As we join 95 Squadron in the main room, the Germans have control of the skies

"Evening gentleman" said the Commanding Officer. "Seems that Headquarters are getting bothered by the number of planes that our neighbours over the lines are "in their words" flaunting themselves over our territory with complete impunity - do something about it"

"Well as we must do what our paymasters request (roar of derision from the assembled pilots) we'll see what we can do for them. "A" flight, you will patrol behind our lines as far down as Amiens. "B" flight, you will patrol up to Hazebrouk. Stooge up and down for a bit. According to HQ you will be surrounded by targets. Chase them off. A bit of good news. Seems that our French allies have got themselves a new plane. Reports say it's a Spad VII. Maneouverable bugger, better speed than our Nieuports. We will do our best to get hold of a couple - for trials. Goodnight gentlemen.
As he walked away they heard him mutter "Impunity. Bloody cheek. What do they think we're doing?"

Nieuport 17 - 2nd Leutenant Kenneth Anderson

Nieuport 17 - 2nd Leutentant Timothy Krumrie

Nieuport 17 - 2nd Leutenant Stamford Jennings

Albatros D.II - Leutnant Ernst Weissener

Albatros D.II - Leutnant Hans von Weddall

Albatros D.II - Leutnant Gustav Brom

The C/O scanned the skies until he heard, then saw, the Nieuport coming home.

"Anderson" he thought "Where are the others?"

Anderson landed and jumped down from his plane

"What happened Kenneth?

"Well sir. We were just coming back from Hazebrook, when we ran into 3 Albatros'

Both sides spread out to gain an advantage. Anderson headed for the Albatros of Weissener and they exchanged fire. Weissenener missed but Anderson caused damage (1 plus NRR) which nearly led to a collision.

Further north, the other planes closed - very closed. Von Weddell fired on Krumrie (4, 4 +Smoke) Brom introduced Jennings to the reality of war (4, 1) Krumrie's return fire on Weissener was poor (0, 0) Jenning's introduction was cut very short as von Weddell ended his day (1, 2 + Fire) Jennings manoeuvres failed to extinguish the fire (2, 1, 3) and his plane headed downward. Von Weddell flew on through the smoke. The next thing he saw was the sky full of Albatross. Luck favoured both pilots von Weddell (0) Brom (0) but then deserted Brom (2) von Weddell (0) as the planes collided again. Von Weddell managed to control his plane and saw Brom for some unknown reason, heading North. He wondered a) where Brom had come from and b) where was he going now?

As the planes started to separate Weissener gave Krumrie a couple of reasons to get home (2 +Fire) Krumrie's manoeuvres managed to extinguish the flames (4, 0) but at least he was low behind British lines.

Von Weddeil had a clear view of the final acts of the patrol as Weissener gave Anderson a parting gift (1) but missed (0) the final shots, as Anderson put the nose down and dived for home.

"I saw the new chap - Jennings, was that his name? getting badly mauled by two Albatros', with Tim trying to help hom. He went down in flames, poor bugger. Then they turned on Tim and I saw flames but the flames went out last I saw. Then they came after me.

The C/O patted the young man on the shoulder. "Young man! I can't be more than four years older than him?" "Give your report and get some food and rest Kenneth"

Krumrie brought his plane home about twenty minutes later. Just before a final nightcap, there was uproar, as into the bar, covered in oil, singed hair and no eyebrows, walked
Jennings.

"Hello chaps" And the drinks flowed once more

Von Weddell - RTB 1 kill (can he claim Jenniings - he thinks so)
Weissener - RTB
Brom - RTB, eventually

Anderson - RTB
Krumrie - FRTB-F (rooled 6+1) no crash on landing Rolled 7 RTB +1, FRTBF -1 =7 miss 1
Jennings Rolled 11 Flamer -2 =9 All's well, when you land well