Ares Games

Thread: OTTCYM - Mission 10 - Keep On Trucking - Sept 12-18th 1916 By Tikkifriend

Default OTTCYM - Mission 10 - Keep On Trucking - Sept 12-18th 1916 By Tikkifriend

A subsidiary attack of the Somme Offensive, the Battle of Flers-Courcelette was notable for the introduction of tanks. The attack was launched across a 12 km front from Rawlinson's Fourth Army salient on 15 September. Twelve divisions were employed, along with all the tanks the British army possessed: 49.

The attack was preceded by an artillery-bombardment designed to leave unshelled lanes open for the advance of the new mobile weapon.

Navigation and visibility were poor - the latter leading on more than one occasion to the tank directing friendly fire from its guns onto its own forces. Radio communication was not available until late in the war: carrier pigeons were used instead.

Accordingly, on 11 September the 49 tanks began to move slowly into position in the line. As a measure of their fundamental unreliability, 17 tanks were unable to make it as far as the front line. Of the 22 that did, a further 7 failed to work at zero hour. Thus 15 of the 49 tanks rolled slowly into No Man's Land with the start of the attack on 15 September.
    Tanks need fuel and these were thirsty beasts. .To ensure that they didnt run dry during the attack several convoys of trucks carrying barrels of fuel were dispatched to the front.

Traveling the muddy roads by night was deemed to be to dangerous, forcing the Allies to expose the convoys to the threat of aerial attack from the Germans newest plane the Albatross DI.

The Mission.

Set up.
    2 mats long sides on . The type of mats is not important as the features on it are to be ignored.
    The convoy will consist of 4 trucks one of which may carry a AAMG with a 360 degree arc and B firing. The trucks have a HP of 8.

The convoy will travel bumper to bumper that is in single file the front of one card touching the rear of another. You will use a XB deck for their movement consisting of 1 left 1 right and 4 straights(use the dive card for the 4th straight). The movement card is placed on the lead truck and all trucks use the same card movement.
    Exception when a left or right turn card is drawn the lead truck makes that move. The following trucks move up in a straight line to the point where the lead truck made its turn and then they make the same turn.
    A turn cannot be followed by the same turn card Only a straight or an opposite turn card can be played. An opposite turn card is automatically played after 2 straights. This hopefully avoids the convoy going round in circles.
    The Convoy plays 1 card at the beginning of each 3 card round.

Exception

Should a truck be destroyed the convoy halts for 1 card turn to allow the wreck to be removed. the remaining trucks then bunch up to the nose to tail formation and carry on.

The German flight start 1/2 ruler from the opp edge to the convoy.

RFC start 1/2 ruler anywhere on the convoy edge of the mat.

Objectives.

Allies
    Get as many trucks of fuel across an imaginary line 1 1/2 rulers from the opposing edge of the mats .

Central Powers Prevent the above.

2 points for every truck destroyed .
    3 points for every enemy plane shot down.
    For each truck across the line 3 points

Forces.
    The RFC will provide fighter cover consisting of 2 scouts If an AAMG truck is employed in the convoy. If not they may have 3

The Central Powers will have 4 scouts at there disposal and a 5th in reserve should they loose a plane in the first 3 turns (9 cards)

here is the link to the truck card in the files section https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=403

Germans might want to consider playing an WoW Alb DII as a DI and B firing .
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 11-29-2020 at 23:15. Reason: Title adjust

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Nice one Paul, I'll get this mapped across later.

That's done - though I won't be doing this for my Eagles..
    Germans might want to consider playing an WoW Alb DII as a DI and B firing... ?
    The boys that get them will be A firing, I will randomise how many they get though.
    The D.I & D.II were developed simultaneously, so you could have either, Jasta 2 who got the first ones in early September got 5 D.I & 1 D.II which Boelke took as his machine.
    Last edited by flash; 11-29-2020 at 08:01.

"He is wise who watches"

A couple of questions/suggestions I've come with as I was preparing for this mission.
    The convoy - if using base sized cards - will be quite long (27.2cm). Do they start on the table & whereabouts ?
    I'm thinking I may reduce the size of the cards and to start on table in a corner aiming to exit in the opposite corner on the diagonal to give maximum exposure to Eagle attack.
    Looking forward to having a crack at this but it won't be until next weekend as lots going on at the Hangar this week.

"He is wise who watches"

Full size cards is what I used and assuming all straights it takes 10 convoy turns, 30 aerial cards to get the lead truck over the line. I started with them all in a line from the centre of the mats edge. Feel free to adapt as you need to.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Roger that Paul, that helps a lot.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 5: Going Solo - 5th August 1916 - by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 07:55
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-22-2020, 00:11
  3. AAR OTT CYM Mission 1 - Back to Front - July 5th 1916 - by Tikkifriend