Ares Games

Thread: german airfields

Default german airfields

Got this thing about matching up allied/central airfields. Picked up bits and pieces from various locations, then hit paydirt from an unexpected source. Of all places Wikipedia. got round to typing "how many Jastas" into the machine and up came Wikipedia with about 100. Went into Jasta 1 and part of the information was Airfields. Loads of place airfield place names and a rough locations. All I've got to do is enter "squadrons" for the Allies - and then spend ages locating all of em on a map and away I go. The things you do after getting the history bug and wanting to add a bit more colour to the stories. Hope this helps some one else.

I wish you luck, but in my experience "Beware Wikipedia", or "Wrongipedia" as it is more usually known.......

My researches into Jasta 2 repeatedly fell into failed follow-ups indicated by Wrongipedia - I'll never get those hours back.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

There was an interactive site once that listed and mapped them all Iain but it stopped working.
    Have a search for the books 'Airfields and Airmen ..' by Mike O'Connor though you may find something you like; he covers Arras, Cambrai, Somme, Ypres & the Channel Coast.

"He is wise who watches"

Ello Dave

Ta for the information. Just sorted out my Xmas presents from one of my cherubs

If you can get a copy of "KEKs and Fokkerstaffels" it lists a load of German airfields one by one, with layout maps, locations, histories and modern how-to-see-them details.

Obviously it doesn't cater for late war airfields, but there's a lot of useful information included.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hello Tim

Ta everso for the information. Just sorted mx Xmas pressie from my other cherub. Yay. Was just thinking this morning "what do I want for Xmas" and it's now sorted. the planes are my Christmas present to me LOL because I know SHMBO was not going to get them for me

Similar Missions

1. Map of WW1 Airfields.
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-28-2018, 01:29
  2. AAR AAR BoB mission 7 Attack on coastal airfields.
    By tikkifriend in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-10-2016, 04:30
  3. Tents on airfields
    By BB401 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2016, 14:49
  4. Small and abandoned WWI airfields in Belgium.
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 04:31
  5. Airfields & Airmen book deals
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 10:44