Ares Games

Thread: incendary bullets

Default incendary bullets

I know the British had "Buckinghams" just wondering if there was a German equivalent and if it was "nicknamed"?

"Buckinghams" were named after the inventor John Buckingham, we also had "Pomeroy", "Brock" & RTS (Richard Threlfall and Sons) explosive types too.
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmi...nch-incendiary

Germans had incendiary/tracer ammo too - I've heard accounts of rounds cooking off and setting their planes on fire, don't know what they were called but it probably wasn't anything good ! Can't find much info on the German stuff.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I know the German incendiaries in 1918 were phosphorus-based, and didn't present any problems in winter; however, in summer the increased temperature sometimes caused the ammunition to "cook off", as Dave stated above, and quite a few planes were lost, and a number of pilots, too (the introduction of parachutes saved quite a few!).

Several Jastas cut extra cooling vents in their aircraft cowlings, to increase engine cooling and thus reduce cowling temperatures, in order to mitigate this risk.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I know the German incendiaries in 1918 were phosphorus-based, and didn't present any problems in winter; however, in summer the increased temperature sometimes caused the ammunition to "cook off", as Dave stated above, and quite a few planes were lost, and a number of pilots, too (the introduction of parachutes saved quite a few!).

Several Jastas cut extra cooling vents in their aircraft cowlings, to increase engine cooling and thus reduce cowling temperatures, in order to mitigate this risk.
    Jeepers As if Balloon busting was not dangerous enough! Thanks for that jnfo.

Similar Missions

1. Ever played the Ten Bullets game?
    By 'Warspite' in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-23-2018, 16:17
  2. Stray bullets
    By AZTiger98 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-08-2015, 11:32
  3. Incendiary Bullets - Limitations on Use?
    By David Manley in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 20:15
  4. bullets in the mud
    By andrea.cuozzo in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 08:17
  5. Death From Incindiary Bullets
    By Charlie3 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 07:47