Ares Games

Thread: DAMBUSTERS : rules issues and corrections

Default DAMBUSTERS : rules issues and corrections

.With french forumer Chee911sc, we have translated a french version of Ares Dambuster rules.
    We noticed a few issues that we sent to Ares.
    Here are a review of the corrections checked by Ares.
    Numbers refer to red squared notifications on the pictures below.

As a bonus, here is the bombing sequence we have created as a reminder :

BOMBING SEQUENCE
    TURN -1 : first straight maneuver (at altitude 1), use bomb template to place bomb counter that must be over water (optional : use aim device ; spotlight counter ON).
    TURN 0 : second straight maneuver (at altitude 1), bomb is dropped (optional : spotlight counter OFF at the end of the turn ).
    TURN 1 : move bomb counter with ruler n.1
    TURN 2 : move bomb counter with ruler n.2
    TURN 3 : move bomb counter with ruler n.3

DROPPING THE BOMB Chapter:
    1) « only the bomb counter must be totally on water when dropped.»
    (Do not worry if the plane or the maneuvre card or the bomb ruler is not)

AIMING DEVICE Chapter:
    2) « When the two arms of the Y on the counter connect, in an ideal path, toward the 2 red dots at each end of the red line along the dam width, the position of ... »
    (as the Möhne dam doesn’t have the 2 towers)

MOVING THE BOMB chapter :
    3) [Advanced rules] « ***Only airplanes (within a distance of a half combat) at altitude 1 are damaged by a bouncing bomb exploding. »
    (the damage for the explosion is taken anyway, both if the bomb explodes overlapping the dam and if it explodes elsewhere).

NIGHT ATTACK AND SPOTLIGHTS chapter
    4) «The AA gun only takes half damage from attacks by the airplane »
    (you have to halve the points amount indicated in the damage chit. If it’s an odd number, you have to round it up. Example : A 3 damages chit inflicts 2 points (1.5 rounded up). A 1 damage chit inflicts 1 point (0.5 rounded up)).

AA GUNS PROTECTING THE DAM chapter :
    5) LIGHT AA GUNS PROTECTING THE DAM
    « The Mohne dam has two light AA guns,represented by two red dots on it.
    Each light AA gun can shoot every turn at any plane within a ruler ... ».

6) [Advanced rules] « *** The light AA guns can shoot at altitude 1 inflicting a C chit damage at one ruler distance, and at altitude 2 inflicting a C chit damage at half-ruler distance. »

ATTACK AGAINST THE MOHNE DAM chapter :
    7) « Take two AA guns cards »
    8) « Note these AA guns are AA light guns and are in addition to those on the dam itself. »

Last edited by monse; 11-19-2020 at 01:53.

Thanks for pointing these notes out. I've been wanting to fly these missions and this may be what spurs me on!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thanks for pointing these notes out. I've been wanting to fly these missions and this may be what spurs me on!
    Add me to that list.

With no 'proper' Thanksgiving this year it might be a good time to try one of these missions.

Thank you for correcting these rules, Monse. Please thank your friend also.

Well done Monse & chee911sc, good work on the clarifications with Ares.
    Check your example in the response to #4 though
    4) «The AA gun only takes half damage from attacks by the airplane » (you have to halve the points amount indicated in the damage chit. If it’s an odd number, you have to round it up. Example : with a 3 damage chit, 1 damage is dealt)
    If you round up half damage then in the example given 2 damage should be dealt not 1..

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Please thank your friend also.
    Chee911sc is a member of the WOG Aerodrome and a talented one !
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/me...9192-chee911sc

Please feel free to send him any comments and / or reputation points.
    He really deserves it, as he made the first translation work, before finalising 7 versions of the french translations, after I sent to Ares dozen of remarks and issues about their rules.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    If you round up half damage then in the example given 2 damage should be dealt not 1..
    You are right, the answer of Ares was wrong and a few mails were required to get the correct answer from Andrea Angiolino :

A 3 damages chit inflicts 2 points (1.5 rounded up).
    A 1 damage chit inflicts 1 point (0.5 rounded up).

I have made the correction in the first post of the thread.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by monse; 11-19-2020 at 03:50.

Thanks Chee911sc and Monse

Aahh..., yes ..., right ...., well well ..., now I have to find me a Dambuster Lanc .... seems they are "rather" rare nowadays ...
    Oh well ... he who searches will find one in the end ....
    cheerio,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

I know a guy . . . he has a wing of them and a dam . . .

Hi Dave,
    how about having a Dutch pilot flying one of your Dambusters ?? There were quite some Dutchmen in the RAF (e.g. 320(Dutch) Bomber Sqn, 322(Dutch) Fighter Sqn, 182 Fighter-bomber Sqn, ...)
    An offer to fly alongside you to the German dams would be a honor
    cheerio,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    now I have to find me a Dambuster Lanc
    Lancaster Dambuster are available on Miniature Market in the USA : https://www.miniaturemarket.com/arewgs304b.html
    and on Philibert in France : https://www.philibertnet.com/fr/rech...submit_search=

Check which is more interesting with shipping fees :
    https://www.philibertnet.com/en/cont...-and-deadlines

Guus, Entoyment, here in the U.K., have one Lancaster Dambuster model left. https://entoyment.co.uk/product/avro...ter-dambuster/

Monse, Naharat/David,
    thanks for saving me the time to search
    Miniature Market in the US is the cheapist, but then the P&P and import duties kick in ...
    Entoyment and Philibert are about even on cost and P&P, burt recent experience with goods coming from the UK are ....
    So I ordered with Philibert (where I ordered before with good results).
    So, I'm sitting back enjoying (?) my wait ...
    Thanks again guys !
    cheerio,
    Guus

Thank you Chee911sc and Monse!
    My modifier on (8) is that the 1x light AA located on the "air" side of the Möhne dam is located as shown on the briefing model.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mohne_extraAA_AirSide.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	294687
    It's about 1x card length away from the dam, but only comes into action if/when a plane's base is on that side of the dam.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mohne_extraAAplacement.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	294689
    Yes, I do change the AA's location, so the game does vary and makes for "what if" scenarios.

I really like the game mechanics of using a second plane when using additional AA, and that the game design allows for use of the card for those with just one Lanc. The extra AA makes for a very challenging and brutal scenario, reflecting on all those involved and impacted.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoonbeam View Post
    My modifier on (8) is that the 1x light AA located on the "air" side of the Möhne dam is located as shown on the briefing model.
    This is an interesting option, Terry.

Haha ... my Dambuster Lanc arrived the day before yesterday (Nov 26th), I ordered on Nov 20th
    I really can recommend Philibert (www.philibertnet.com)
    Thanks again Monse and David for helping me find one !

cheerio,
    Guus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kenneth
    Sorties Flown

Default Dambusters Rules

Hi, I would be grateful if you could tell me where I can download a copy of the dambuster Rules for the Lancaster. Would like to try that scenario.
    Many thanks

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kenneth
    Sorties Flown

Default Dambusters Rules

Hi, I would be grateful if you could tell me where I can download a copy of the dambuster Rules for the Lancaster. Would like to try that scenario.
    Many thanks

The leaflet of the Dambuster rules is shown in the first message above.
    Including the 8 corrections notified in red with the explanations added.

Similar Missions

1. Unofficial aircraft corrections and additions
    By Jager in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-04-2024, 14:46
  2. What did the Dambusters do next?
    By Naharaht in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 12:27