Ares Games

Thread: Ideas on AA and infantry?

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

Default Ideas on AA and infantry?

Hi guys.

Today i was just taking a look at Flames of War models as i wanted to have minis for AA and infantry, but i found FoW minis a bit too big in comparison. So i just wondered if any of you plays with minis for those, witch other companies miniatures might be suitable?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitypool View Post
    Hi guys.

Today i was just taking a look at Flames of War models as i wanted to have minis for AA and infantry, but i found FoW minis a bit too big in comparison. So i just wondered if any of you plays with minis for those, witch other companies miniatures might be suitable?

FoW is 15mm or roughly 1/100 scale. There are many companies making this scale and some have ventured into even smaller for certain periods (10mm and 6mm). I think most is probably in the Napolanic to ACW era where games are looking to represent huge armies. WWII is mostly the larger stuff as most of it is games at the tactical combat level like our WoW. Not aware of alot of WWI stuff out there.

Did a quick search and this site lists a number of manufactures:

http://ermtony.pbworks.com/10mm+Miniatures

HTH,

Aaron

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

Thanks afilter, somewhere in your link i found a scale comparison that pointed me that i should go for 6mm figures (as i play with 1/285 planes). So i'm having a look at irregular miniatures page and they have some cool things down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitypool View Post
    Thanks afilter, somewhere in your link i found a scale comparison that pointed me that i should go for 6mm figures (as i play with 1/285 planes). So i'm having a look at irregular miniatures page and they have some cool things down there.
    Ah, 1/285 that would be why the 15mm seem big.

Glad to help!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alex
    Sorties Flown

If you want something to look more to scale for altitude and are using 1/285-1/300 scale aircraft, you could be as well looking at Tumbling Dice or Pico Armor 1/600 gear. See here:-
    http://tumblingdiceuk.com/pdfdocs/Vapour_Trails.pdf (look at the first page) and http://picoarmor.com/ww2_products.html.

The Tumbling Dice site doesn't have any photos, but it is decent stuff. Pico is probably your best bet in the US. I think Brigade Games stock them. This scale is small but would give the impression of looking down on the units from altitude.

1/200 scale - the scale of the WoW models - is 10mm. Skytrex and Pendraken produce WW2 models in this scale.

Hope you find all this helpful

I would also surgest 6mm figures (especially Irregular) they are more to scale for the WW2 Aircraft. Irregular Minatures has a vast range and the are cheep. I use them with the WW1 aircraft and they fit in well, plus there are other items like landing craft and gun boats.