Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 9 - Look 'who's stalking who' Flash - 5th September 1916

Default OTT CYM Mission 9 - Look 'who's stalking who' Flash - 5th September 1916

Returning from dawn patrol after a fruitless search for the enemy 2Lt Cameron Paine in a shiny new silver Nieuport 17 & F/Sgt Robert Pynne in a cammo Nieuport 16 marked D come across a pair of eagles heading to the front. They have the advantage, being slightly above and behind their targets at their five o'clock.
    There's something odd about the nearer machine ... what is that ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2335.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	294469

Pynne dives in but doesn't have the range, he slips lower hoping it's enough but the odd type has been alerted and turns into his attack - Gawd but he's quick...

Name:	SAM_2337.JPG 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	294470

Paine pushes on after the Halberstadt, flown by Ltn Max Manschott, who finally twigs there's a problem and breaks left when he sees the silver Nieuport dropping in above and behind him.
    Pynne hauls his N.16 right in a hope he can get on the other type that is quickly reefing round him.

Name:	SAM_2339.JPG 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	294471

The chase is on ! The Halberstadt seems to have outfoxed Paine and Pynne can only hope he can out turn the faster Hun as he certainly won't catch him otherwise.

Name:	SAM_2340.JPG 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	294472

Paine throws his machine into an Immel - he's lucky as he catches the Halberstadt as it turns in after him and sets it on fire but it scores a solid hit itself.

Name:	SAM_2342.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	294473

The strange machine has turned on his pursuer and stalled - Pynne opens fire as he turns in the meet the threat -
    'What the.. the blighter's got two spandaus !' Rounds crash through the fragile Nieuport 16, more pour in from that of the flaming Halberstadt as it seeks to avoid Paine's attention.

Name:	SAM_2344.JPG 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	294474

Paine gets in a long range effort at the strange new machine as he passes Pynne and the Halberstadt close aboard (it was a 4 but somehow I lost the card in the shot ! )

Name:	SAM_2347.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	294475

Though his next, final burst from that pan was less successful

Name:	SAM_2349.JPG 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	294476

Pynne catches a packet from the flaming Halberstadt at close range as they fly a switch back for position.
    The damage is not bad but enough to send Pynne on his way home.

Name:	SAM_2350.JPG 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	294477

For a moment Ltn Raven Busse, the pilot of the new Albatros D.I machine, thinks he's dead as he sets to cross the nose of the silver Nieuport but much to his relief he sees the pilot is working to reload his Lewis gun.

Name:	SAM_2351.JPG 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	294478

Paine, gun now reloaded, gets a smashing view of the new type as Busse throws it into a reversal, Paine noses up and pumps another burst into it and knocking some lumps from it's tail..

Name:	SAM_2354.JPG 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	294479

Having found some space Pynne takes the chance to leave the battle space before his machine's integrity is fully compromised

Name:	SAM_2356.JPG 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	294480

Seeing his opponent leave Manschott turns his attention toward the other enemy machine - he is surprised to find it heading straight for him and they exchange fire - both scoring hits but no serious damage

Name:	SAM_2359.JPG 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	294481

As Paine closes he gets another chance at close range - he empties his drum but to his dismay the Halberstadt appears unaffected

Name:	SAM_2360.JPG 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	294482

Paine breaks right, reversing his turn and reloads his gun as the enemy jockey for position.

Name:	SAM_2361.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	294483

After more circling, close shave passes and a reversal by Paine the game is soon back on

Name:	SAM_2365.JPG 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	294484

Paine trades blows with the Halberstadt as it races in; his gun jams in the process.

Name:	SAM_2367.JPG 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	294485

He presses on after the new type, hoping to keep it in front of him while he clears the jam.

Name:	SAM_2368.JPG 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	294486

Both Huns reverse their turns with a hope of getting back onto the Paine's Nieuport but he had another idea and breaks out of the circle...

Name:	SAM_2370.JPG 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	294487

..Hooking back with a reversal catching the Halberstadt as it passes beneath him and damaging it's controls.
    Turns out it's enough to send Manschott packing.

Name:	SAM_2371.JPG 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	294488

As he pulls out Paine runs straight into the new type and they exchange greetings as expected - the twin guns wreak more havoc upon the Nieuport and Paine, his gun empty, is also forced to retire from the battle.

Name:	SAM_2372.JPG 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	294489

A near miss with his opponent gives him a chance and Paine soon dives away from the fight leaving his supposed victims to make their way home.

Name:	SAM_2373.JPG 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	294490

Butcher's Tally

AM Patrol

Eagles

Name:	SAM_2377.JPG 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	294491
    Ltn Max Manschott: (Halberstadt) FRTB-D 0 kills
    Rolled double 4... crashed on landing when his undercart collapsed.
    Rolled 11 -1FRTB +1RTB = All's well when you crash land well !

Ltn Raven Busse: (Albatros D.I) RTB 0 kills

Bulldogs

Name:	SAM_2378.JPG 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	294492
    F/Sgt Robert Pynne: (Nieuport 16 D) FRTB-D 0 kills
    Rolled 5,2 landed OK.

2Lt Cameron Paine: (Nieuport 17) FRTB-D 0 kills
    Rolled 2,1 Landed OK. I flew as Paine.

Afternoon Sortie:

Later that day 2lt Percy Veer & 2lt Evan Keel in Nieuport 16's F & J respectively come across a brace of Fokker's in a very similar position to that of the Dawn Patrol.
    They instantly dive into action, Veer has the range and his Lewis chatters it's song of destruction it's missiles finding the nearest Fokker's engine

Name:	SAM_2380.JPG 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	294493

He's up for a scrap and seeing his wingman is out of position Veer pushes straight on and empties his ammo into the second machine

Name:	SAM_2381.JPG 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	294494

Name:	SAM_2383.JPG 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	294495

Veer's target on the left promptly Immels, the other, trailing a thin trail of smoke from it's damaged engine, breaks right as Keel sets himself to the pursuit.

Name:	SAM_2384.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	294496

The slippery Fokker's leave the Bulldog's in their wake.

Name:	SAM_2386.JPG 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	294497

The damaged Fokker makes use of the separation and escapes toward home. Veer breaks left as his opposition breaks right in the background

Name:	SAM_2389.JPG 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	294498

Veer and the Fokker complete the circle with an exchange of compliments - Veer coming off distinctly second best as his engine blows smoke & his controls are damaged.

Name:	SAM_2391.JPG 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	294499

They both reverse their turns and within seconds Veer unleashes the killer blow that takes the Fokker out..

Name:	SAM_2394.JPG 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	294500

Butcher's Tally:

PM Patrol

Eagles:

Name:	SAM_2395.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	294501
    Ltn Kurt Bertram Drekman: (plain E.III) FRTB-E 0 kills
    Rolled 6,3 landed safely.

Ltn Hugo Stark: (striped E.III) SD-EXP-ET 0 kills
    Rolled 11 -3EXP = 8 Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario Rolled 5 = skip 2
    E&E Rolled 7 -1EXP -1WIC -1BEL = 4 Captured and escaped! - Skip 1D3 Scenarios Rolled 5 = skip 3

Bulldogs:

Name:	SAM_2396.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	294502
    2lt Percy Veer: (N.16-F) RTB 1 Kill (1 FRTB)

2lt Evan Keel: (N.16-J) RTB 0 kills

Well a similar start but a very different outcome... I flew Keel and didn't get a look in - Veer really got the bit between his teeth and snatched the win.

Victory Points:
    1 point for each of your aircraft that successfully Return to Base.
    2 points for each enemy aircraft shot down.
    1 point for each enemy aircraft FRTB.

AM: Bulldogs: 1 Point for Eagle FRTB, 2 Points for 2 x RTB = 3 Points.
    Eagles : 2 Points for 2 x Bulldogs FRTB, 2 Points for 2 x RTB = 4 Points.

Eagles Win

PM: Bulldogs: 1 Point for Eagle FRTB, 2 points for Eagle shot down. 2 Points for 2 x RTB = 5 Points
    Eagles : 1 Point for 1 x RTB = 1 Point

Bulldogs win

Honours even in matches over the day, on points per game, but with a kill for them I think the Bulldogs could claim the day and as they have an overall points win on the day.

Well a slightly frustrating yet fun day's outing over the trenches, a lot to take from this to set up these kind of games.
    Thanks Pete for the ideas & the double game !
    Last edited by flash; 11-13-2020 at 11:47.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, we got the Fokker, the pilot slipped away somehow but I don't think we'll see him again this side of Christmas.
    Young Mr Veer is proving to be one to watch and has provided information of a new type to watch for - it's fast, strong & well armed so keep an eye out for them.
    Last edited by flash; 11-13-2020 at 11:07.

Kudos for just surviving a fight with a Halberstadt and an Albatros. Perhaps not unexpected that it went better against E.III Eindeckers. Oh well, the Bulldogs got 1 kill to their credit and all pilots got home safely; so drinks in the mess.

Nice take on the mission, Dave.
    Good to see totally different aircraft in the morning/afternoon sorties.
    A one all tie is a fair exchange at the end of the day.

Looks like I will have to think about bringing not only the N.17 but D.I (I will sub a D.II) into the mix.
    Things are about to get really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Looks like I will have to think about bringing not only the N.17 but D.I (I will sub a D.II) into the mix.
    Things are about to get really interesting.
    I took Dave's advice and went with 1-3 Fokker E.III, 4-5 Halberstadt D.III and 6 Albatros D.I. I rolled a 5 for the morning missions, so 2 X Halberstadts, but another 5 in the afternoon but I only had one other Halberstadt model. I have an unofficial rule to not use the same model twice in a mission. So I rolled again 1-3 = captured Nieuport 11, 4-5 = Albatros for the 4th plane of the day. Fortunately 1 rolled a 3 for a Nieuport.

However, I'm sure the Albatros will be appearing soon.

I rolled for individual machines - first thing I rolled was a six !

Thumbs up

Interesting games there Dave.
    Those new Albatross will give our chaps some curry in the coming months.
    Pretty good result overall. Cant beat serving the Boom card to the old Hun.

Thanks Baz, would have gone better without the reloads in the first game, double pan is not far off though. If Stark ever makes it to ace he won't need lucky pilot, he seems lucky enough rolling 11 off the boom card . He'll be back next campaign.

Looked like virtually the same set up for both games but a completely different outcome. Just shows the difference a couple of card draws can make, engine and boom on the Elll's and game over.

In the 7th photo you show the N17 firing at the Albatros through the N16 but not the Halberstadt firing at the N17 through the N16, it looks as if it's in angle, was it's gun jammed, from the previous picture I thought it was the Albatros that jammed. I just wondered if I was missing something in the rules which is quite likely because in the 8th photo Paine gets a +1 for a second shot at the same target on a 0 score, I thought on a 0 you didn't get the addition, I must read them more carefully.

I like how you are leaving the movement cards down, was it Barry that started doing this? and I noticed Paul has also taken to the idea as well, I might try this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ...In the 7th photo you show the N17 firing at the Albatros through the N16 but not the Halberstadt firing at the N17 through the N16, it looks as if it's in angle, was it's gun jammed, from the previous picture I thought it was the Albatros that jammed. I just wondered if I was missing something in the rules which is quite likely because in the 8th photo Paine gets a +1 for a second shot at the same target on a 0 score, I thought on a 0 you didn't get the addition, I must read them more carefully.
    I like how you are leaving the movement cards down, was it Barry that started doing this? and I noticed Paul has also taken to the idea as well, I might try this myself.

The silver N.17 is overlapping the N.16. By the rules it's allowed to fire at a target outside of the overlap so took the long shot at the Albatros.
    This is a kinda grey area but as the Halberstadt was also overlapping the other N.17 at the same time I treated the whole thing as one big overlap event rather than two separate ones which means you can't shoot at planes within the overlap.

No, you don't get the +1 on a zero but I count it as being in the +1 pile so I place the marker; it really helps keep track of the shots & Aim bonus when sorting and viewing the images.

I think Baz picked up the movement card habit from me John, I've always done it as it shows what the plane's doing when making or taking a shot and it also helps with tracking the images, particularly if you play with breaks.
    Some regard it as clutter but I like the transparency of it, you don't have to wonder how the plane got to where it is you can instantly see it.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The silver N.17 is overlapping the N.16. By the rules it's allowed to fire at a target outside of the overlap so took the long shot at the Albatros.
    This is a kinda grey area but as the Halberstadt was also overlapping the other N.17 at the same time I treated the whole thing as one big overlap event rather than two separate ones which means you can't shoot at planes within the overlap.

No, you don't get the +1 on a zero but I count it as being in the +1 pile so I place the marker; it really helps keep track of the shots & Aim bonus when sorting and viewing the images.

I think Baz picked up the movement card habit from me John, I've always done it as it shows what the plane's doing when making or taking a shot and it also helps with tracking the images, particularly if you play with breaks.
    Some regard it as clutter but I like the transparency of it, you don't have to wonder how the plane got to where it is you can instantly see it.
    Thanks for the explanation, the overlapping rules are fairly clear but I just wondered if there was some interpretation I was unaware of. I certainly don't always follow them and will make a judgement based on the situation the same as you did.

As you say leaving the cards down is a bit of a trade off between a cluttered photo and clarity of description, I knew I'd seen it done in the past hadn't realised you were the trend setter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, the overlapping rules are fairly clear but I just wondered if there was some interpretation I was unaware of. I certainly don't always follow them and will make a judgement based on the situation the same as you did...
    You haven't missed anything John, this situation is not covered in the rules. In a one on one overlap I believe the idea is that the planes slip past each other, one over the other. I reasoned that with a two on one overlap that one would pass above, the other below the machine being overlapped so the overlappers could not shoot at each other in spite of not overlapping each other.
    It works for me; both sides in that circumstance missed a close range shot and didn't take one but one side was lucky to have another target.
    Some will argue that pilots are too busy trying to avoid a collision to shoot. I see the argument but don't buy it myself; my view is they are aiming/firing throughout the move and it's that distraction that leads to the overlap/collision situations.
    I'm sure there'll be ideas for & against but that's a possible discussion for elsewhere.

Nice one Dave. A good early morning bash and a clear result in the afternoon - what more could be hoped for. Love the Nieuports but they do seem a bit fragile when it comes to damage points, especially with an Albatros around I guess the Bulldogs are in for a thumping unless the pups and tripes come out to play in the next campaign. Sorry, I probably aught to know the answer to that already, but haven't managed to get that far ahead with catching up yet.

I thought the Nieuport 17 was "A" firing too, but I assume then that its too early in the war. Also, good to see those Eindeckers still in the fray.

Agree with you on the overlap situation, assuming altitude is not being played. It's a whole lot easier to deal with if altitude is on the menu.

Thanks for the entertainment.
    REP inbound

Thanks Mike - N.17 can be A firing but most RFC ones had just a Lewis gun as we didn't have a reliable interrupter gear for a Vickers so, although the models are equipped, I usually field them as that. Limited ammo also plays a big part but it is realistic and the worm will turn as far as that goes in November '16.

Great pair of battles Dave. Taking on the new Albatros and it's firepower must have been a shock to Pynne and Pain! Good to see they both were able to fly home and pass on the new intel.

Thanks Peter, we'll always be up against it until the new stuff arrives - bigger pans on the Lewis will help me, better planes with twin mounts will be very welcome too but a long time before that happens..

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-22-2021, 11:42
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-22-2021, 11:32
  3. BRF OTT CYM Mission 9 “Who’s Stalking Who?” 5 September 1916
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-14-2020, 16:20
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-17-2019, 06:48