Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 9 “Who’s Stalking Who?” 5 September 1916 by ShadowDragon

Default OTT CYM Mission 9 “Who’s Stalking Who?” 5 September 1916 by ShadowDragon

OTT-CYM Mission 9: Who’s Stalking who)? – 5th September 1916 – by ShadowDragon
    Original scenario by Stumptonian

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...September-1916

The CO of X-Squadron, Rumsbottle, wasn’t happy. Except for the Aussie’s solo mission (#5) when FSL Dundee had mixed it up with a half dozen Huns and bagged two, it had been over a month since the squadron had any real mission successes. Sure they had added to their reputation as killers but the RFC was beginning to wonder if the RNAS squadron wasn’t cut out for inland aerial combat. They hadn’t stopped the Hun photo recce missions on 27 July (mission #4); the Admiral at Dover threatened to throw any X-squadron crew in the brig if they came around his way again (mission #6); the plan to trap the Huns had went badly with the loss of FL Hastings (mission #7) and they had failed to take down the Hun bomber formation (mission #8). If what they were good at was killing Huns, then let them have at – clear the sky of Hun scouts or don’t come back.

The scout flight was short 2 pilots. Dundee was back in Blimy on a PR tour to bolster support for the war effort and the Canadian, Jack Wilde, was malingering in hospital – no doubt chasing nurses and having a grand time of it all. A pity they were two of the top three pilots in the flight other than the flight leader, Nigel Flashman. The Scotsman, Jock, was experienced but with just 1 kill to his credit. The remaining two – the Irishman, Fergis O’Neil, and the young British Columbian lad, Al Smith, had a grand total of zero between them. The CO wanted Flashman to watch the Irishman. That meant Jock would fly with Smith – on the morning patrol while Flashman and O’Neil took the afternoon slot. Hopefully they get a Hun or two and get the old man off their backs.

Morning Patrol
    Jock thought he had spotted a couple of Huns through a break in the clouds and signalled Al to dive down from their cover. Luck was with them; they had the jump on the Huns – right behind them at 6 and 7 o’clock. Perfect timing. Och! Two Halberstadts! A couple of Eindeckers would have suited Jock just fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09AM01.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	294355

Jock got into perfect firing position and fired off a burst from the Lewis. From the looks of it, Jock thought he might have hit the pilot as the Halberstadt veered to the left.

Name:	CYM09AM02.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	294354

The Halberstadt was flying erratically – perhaps the wounded enemy was struggling to keep his crate flying. Jock glanced over at Al to see if he was alright. The young Canadian had got a nice deflection shot at the other Halberstadt.

Name:	CYM09AM03.jpg 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	294353

The nearest Halberstadt pulled an Immelmann – that must have hurt him a wee bit, thought Jock. Jock got another good shot at the Hun, who was probably fighting blood loss and couldn’t fire back. [Note: this was the 3rd planned manoeuvre of the turn for Fritz. The next turn Fritz will break off and head for the aerodrome.]

Name:	CYM09AM04.jpg 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	294352

Jock flipped his Bébé in an Immelmann to get back into the fight but the Hun had broken off. He had too much of a head start for Jock to catch him. Meanwhile Al and the other Hun (Hans Bohenkamp) circled each other looking for an opportunity.

Name:	CYM09AM05A.jpg 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	294388 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09AM05B.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	294389

Jock decided to join the Al’s fray rather than fruitlessly chasing the wounded Hun. He and the Hun jockeyed for an advantage.

Name:	CYM09AM06A.jpg 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	294390 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09AM06B.jpg 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	294398

Jock got the edge first but missed a tough deflection shop while the Hun, Hans, slipped away.

Name:	CYM09AM07A.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	294392 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09AM07B.jpg 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	294393

But not for long, Jock was on the Hun’s tail and dealt out some major damage to the Halberstadt.

Name:	CYM09AM08.jpg 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	294348

The Hun wasn’t giving up though, and with an Immelmann traded blows with the Scotsman. The Nieuport’s fuel line was hit and smoked obscured the Jock’s vision. For his trouble Hans took a bullet in the leg. He might be out of action for a bit – if he made it back to base.

Name:	CYM09AM09A.jpg 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	294379 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09AM09B.jpg 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	294399

While Hans was tying his tourniquet, the Canadian, Al, had returned to fight on the tail of the Halberstadt. Making it back to the aerodrome wasn’t looking like it was in the cards for Hans.

Name:	CYM09AM10A.jpg 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	294394 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09AM10B.jpg 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	294395

Han’s plane was terribly damaged and it would be difficult to keep it in the air even without his leg wound, but it was a mattered little as Al kept on the Halberstadt, sending it into an earthward spiral. Just in time too as the Nieuport’s Lewis jammed as the last round tore into what was left of the enemy aeroplane.

Name:	CYM09AM11A.jpg 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	294396 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09AM11B.jpg 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	294397

Afternoon Patrol
    The morning patrol had gone well – both Jack the Canadian, Al Smith, had returned with little damage with Smith picking up his first kill. Perhaps luck would be with Flashman and Fergis. Hopefully they wouldn’t end up facing one or two of the new Hun aeroplanes – the Albatros. Fortune did indeed smile on Flashman and his wingman. The broke cover and ended up in nearly the same position as the morning lads – just a bit higher and a bit further back. This time the Hun machines were a captured Nieuport and a Halberstadt.

Name:	CYM09PM01.jpg 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	294368

Flashman dove on the nearest Hun in the captured Nieuport, but the Hun had spotted him and used the Nieuport’s manoeuvrability to full advantage – thwarting Flashman’s designs.

Name:	CYM09PM02A.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	294431 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09PM02B.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	294432

Oh well, there was the CDL Halberstadt in sight. Flashman fired a burst that went wide – and just barely avoiding a collision with his target.

Name:	CYM09PM03A.jpg 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	294433 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09PM03B.jpg 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	294434

Skillfully, Flashman flipped the Nieuport onto the tail of the enemy – a direct hit on the Halberstadt. Perhaps engine damage which would take the Hun out of the fight. The captured Nieuport was back at it but its shots were off the mark.

Name:	CYM09PM04.jpg 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	294365

Flashman kept on the tail of the Halberstadt, while the enemy Nieuport traded shots with the Irishman. More like courtesy shots than a real attempt to damage each other thought Flashman.

Name:	CYM09PM05.jpg 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	294364

The Irishman and Hun avoided a collision – or was it? Flashman thought he saw the Irishman and the German exchange hand signals as they passed each other.

Name:	CYM09PM06.jpg 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	294363

The Halberstadt was breaking off as Flashman anticipated. With his Lewis still jammed from the last burst at the Halberstadt, he gave up the chase and turned towards the other dogfight.

Name:	CYM09PM07A.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	294435 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09PM07B.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	294436

Or what was supposed to be a dogfight. The Irishman’s Nieuport nearly flew into Flashman. What was Fergis trying to do – head Flashman off????

Name:	CYM09PM08A.jpg 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	294437 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09PM08B.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	294438

Now time to think about that now. The enemy Nieuport was in Flashman’s gunsights but after a quick burst the Lewis jammed again.

Name:	CYM09PM09.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	294360

The enemy and Flashman both manoeuvred their Nieuports in an Immelmann for another head on pass at each other. Flashman’s gun was still jammed. The enemy fired but Flashman could see the Hun banging at his Lewis. Welcome to my day, thought Flashman.

Name:	CYM09PM10A.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	294439 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM09PM10B.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	294440

His Lewis cleared – ah, thanks to that mallet trick the RFC bloke taught us. He fired at the Hun. But where was Fergis??

Name:	CYM09PM11.jpg 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	294358

An Immelmann and Flashman was on the tail of the Hun Nieuport. Another burst hit something flammable on the captured Nieuport.

Name:	CYM09PM12.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	294357

What was the Irishman doing? An Immelman right between the Hun and Flashman’s blazing gun? Was he trying to interrupt Flashman’s aim? But the Irishman was too low and Flashman continued firing at the enemy Nieuport which spiralled towards the earth in a ball of flames.

Name:	CYM09PM13.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	294356

Rumsbottle was pleased. His X-men had done as he asked. They had cleared the skies of the Huns – at least over the little patch they were patrolling. And two more kills to the squadron’s credit with Flight Leader Flashman just one shy of becoming the squadron’s 2nd ace. However, he was a bit troubled by Flashman’s account of the Irishman’s exploits. The wing commander had given Rumsbottle specific instructions to keep an eye on Fergis O’Neil – but with no explanation of why or what specifically they should watch.

Victory Points
    Seadogs: 4 X 1 (4 planes RTB) + 2 X 2 (2 enemy shot down) + 2 X 1 (2 enemy FRTB) = 10 points
    Adlers = 0 points (or is it 1 point for a FRTB without crashing???)

An Adler rout.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 11-12-2020 at 05:40.

Butcher’s Bill

Morning Patrol

The Seadogs
    Nieuport 11
    FSL Jock MacDonald / RTB / - / -

Name:	CYM09AMBBJock.jpg 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	294373

Nieuport 11
    FSL Al Smith / RTB / - / 1 kill

Name:	CYM09AMBBAlan.jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	294376

The Adlers
    Halberstadt D.III
    ObLtn Fritz Böhning / FRTB-W / WIA / -
    Crash Roll = 2, 6 = landed safely
    C&W = = 4 - 1 WIA + 1 RTB = 4; injured roll = 4 = skip 4

Name:	CYM09AMBBFritz.jpg 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	294375

Halberstadt D.III
    Ltn Hans Bohenkamp / SD-NML / WIA / -
    C&W = 6 -1SD -1WIA -1NML = 3; injured = 6, skip 6
    E&E = 3 -1WIA -1WIC +1NML = 2 - Captured - The war is over for this pilot !

Name:	CYM09AMBBHans.jpg 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	294374

Afternoon Patrol

The Seadogs
    FCdr Nigel Flashman / RTB / - /1 kill

Name:	CYM09PMBBFlashman.jpg 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	294370

Nieuport 11
    FSL Fergis O’Neil / RTB / - / -

Name:	CYM09PMBBFergis.jpg 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	294371

The Adlers
    Halberstadt D.III
    Ltn Reinhold Piechulek / FRTB-E/ - / -
    Crash roll = 1,1 = crashed
    C&W = 10 - 1 C + 1 RTB = 10; all well

Name:	CYM09PMBBReinhold.jpg 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	294369

Nieuport 11
    Ltn Ernst Klimke / SF-FT / - / -
    C&W = 2 - 2 FLM = 0; KIA

Name:	CYM09PMBBErnst.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	294372

Last edited by flash; 11-12-2020 at 07:21. Reason: Tally Correction

Argh! I was hoping that the double photos would end up larger. Looks like the forum reduces things so that they are a maximum width. So, my 451Kb photos end up as 93Kb while a 291Kb one ends up as 150Kb. I may have to swap a few - but to late tonight to do that.

Fixed the AM patrol photos and will do the PM ones tomorrow.

Hmmmmm.....
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 11-11-2020 at 20:20.

Nicely done, Paul.
    Glad to see you did the FRTB rolls as well - I think it adds to the story.

As for the photos, I always fix them in Picasa and then export with a resize to 725 pixels which keeps them consistent.

A couple of exciting scraps for the 'Dogs Paul and convincing wins over the Eagles. That'll learn 'em !

Uncle says:

Well done you chaps, that gave them a good seeing too. Last reports from a recce of their 'drome says that the white Halberstadt you saw off may have piled in just short of the field; the pilot of the captured Nieuport was killed and we received a report from the lines that our chaps pulled in a Hun from no mans land after your morning patrol. He's alive but pretty banged up by the sound of it - broke both his legs they reckon. One more in the bag.

From the other side of the line..
    With ObLtn Fritz Böhning out of action Ltn Reinhold Piechulek takes command of the squadron as the most experienced pilot available.
    Ltn Johannes Odebrett joins the Eagles, hope he has better luck than his predecessors.
    Last edited by flash; 11-12-2020 at 07:15.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nicely done, Paul.
    Glad to see you did the FRTB rolls as well - I think it adds to the story.

As for the photos, I always fix them in Picasa and then export with a resize to 725 pixels which keeps them consistent.
    Thanks, Pete. In playing around I've found that over a certain size it didn't matter if it was, for example, 300Kb or 1.6Mb, the website would re-size it to about the same (e.g., 100-150Kb). The only advantage of the smaller size was that it's faster to upload. However, if photo is small if got re-sized even smaller. Anyway combining two photos into a single jpg didn't work as I wanted. Instead I've uploaded them as separate files and kept on the same line of the AAR, which is more or less what I had intended. They're not the same height but they're close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    A couple of exciting scraps for the 'Dogs Paul and convincing wins over the Eagles. That'll learn 'em !

Uncle says:

Well done you chaps, that gave them a good seeing too. Last reports from a recce of their 'drome says that the white Halberstadt you saw off may have piled in just short of the field; the pilot of the captured Nieuport was killed and we received a report from the lines that our chaps pulled in a Hun from no mans land after your morning patrol. He's alive but pretty banged up by the sound of it - broke both his legs they reckon. One more in the bag.

From the other side of the line..
    With ObLtn Fritz Böhning out of action Ltn Reinhold Piechulek takes command of the squadron as the most experienced pilot available.
    Ltn Johannes Odebrett joins the Eagles, hope he has better luck than his predecessors.
    Thanks, Uncle....and, also, thanks for noticing a -2 for the WIA and a WIC. I don't think the Seadogs are too popular around their opposition.

Thumbs up

That put the old Hun in his place Paul!
    Well done the Sea Doggies.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That put the old Hun in his place Paul!
    Well done the Sea Doggies.
    Sacrificing to the dice gods worked out...they got the initiative on both patrols.

Similar result to Pete's, a complete victory for your chaps, well done and drinks all round.

I see your presentation style has changed again it seems that being late to the party I missed the problems with the photos because they look fine now although it takes a minute or two for my old brain to see where one picture ends and the other starts but they still show your wonderful planes to good advantage.

I missed your rambling openings from the vinyard but I guess if the two ramblers weren't flying thats acceptable this time. and the other mystery is what is that Fergus fellow up to, he's even using the same camouflage as the Halberstadt's, it's a good job he wasn't on the morning patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Similar result to Pete's, a complete victory for your chaps, well done and drinks all round.

I see your presentation style has changed again it seems that being late to the party I missed the problems with the photos because they look fine now although it takes a minute or two for my old brain to see where one picture ends and the other starts but they still show your wonderful planes to good advantage.

I missed your rambling openings from the vinyard but I guess if the two ramblers weren't flying thats acceptable this time. and the other mystery is what is that Fergus fellow up to, he's even using the same camouflage as the Halberstadt's, it's a good job he wasn't on the morning patrol.
    The only problem was that after uploading the previous photos to an album and then inserting into the story it was clear that the photos were far too small. No one commented; it was obvious. So I had to go back and do them differently to ensure that the photos ended up larger. It just had to do with how the website resizes photos. As for photos side by side, I have been only doing one photo in lieu of a sequence of photos where not much was different. I've included a photo from each phase this time. I have an idea for making sure there's clear delineation between photos which I will do next time.

The ramblers will likely return but maybe not until mission 11 as Jack is out until then. This gave a chance for the other squadron members to shine....except for Fergis, who is so far a mystery to me too. I like to weave the history around the 'evidence' of the mission. So far there's no clarity around Fergis. Maybe it's because his parent misspelled his name on his birth certificate and he's ended up a Fergis instead of a Fergus. Haha.

Well done Paul - a good shoot out there. The early patrol in particular contained some excellent shooting. Shame about Ltn Ernst Klimke, if you're an Eagle that is. RIP. Nice AAR yet again and I repeat, I do like those Nieuport paint jobs. Very nice indeed.
    Congrats for the victories and the great result for the Doggies.
    Have to spread the REP about a bit, but I'll be back

PS Rep now added
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 03-19-2021 at 12:01.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Well done Paul - a good shoot out there. The early patrol in particular contained some excellent shooting. Shame about Ltn Ernst Klimke, if you're an Eagle that is. RIP. Nice AAR yet again and I repeat, I do like those Nieuport paint jobs. Very nice indeed.
    Congrats for the victories and the great result for the Doggies.
    Have to spread the REP about a bit, but I'll be back
    Thanks, Mike. I've had that same "spread the REP about a bit" problem too.

Now, I'm working on the next generation of X Squadron planes - Sopwith Pups. I've done four - and know who will get fly each one if they survive the last mission. I have to do two more - for Jock and Jack. I know what scheme I'll do for Jock MacDonald but haven't decided for Jack Wilde. I expect he'll survive mission 12 as I took "lucky git" for his ace skill - but you never know.

And, yes, my C&W dice seem to have it in for the Adlers. Don't know why, but at the moment the Adlers have suffered 13 KIA and 2 PoW. OMG!

Yep - seen your pups. Very tasty

Re the casualty rates for the enemy -
    at the moment the Adlers have suffered 13 KIA and 2 PoW. OMG!
    seems to go that way for most of us. I guess its because, whether we think we are are not, the sub conscious makes us just a tad biased. I really do try very hard not to let the bias creep in, but looking at my stats, they are not looking any better than yours. At the end of the day though, the missions are there for us to enjoy, so what the hell!

Yep - seen your pups. Very tasty

Re the casualty rates for the enemy - seems to go that way for most of us. I guess its because, whether we think we are are not, the sub conscious makes us just a tad biased. I really do try very hard not to let the bias creep in, but looking at my stats, they are not looking any better than yours. At the end of the day though, the missions are there for us to enjoy, so what the hell!
    The sub conscious makes us a tad biased....that may be...that may be, but I would like the occasional Adler to stick around long enough to become a character and protagonist in my stories. I've had to resort to mistrust and intrigue within the squadron. Heavens, who knows to what will skullduggery will I need to resort to generate tension among the characters, if my Adlers don't live more than one sortie???? For me, it's all about raw material for the story.

..Re the casualty rates for the enemy - seems to go that way for most of us...
    Not really - Paul has almost twice as many as you and nearly the same as the rest of the Bulldogs put together. Anyone would think he has it in for the Eagles !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Well good for the Doggies then I'll drink to them - What? Biased, me? Never

Besides, Paul might just be a better pilot than the rest of us

Besides, Paul might just be a better pilot than the rest of us
    No, it's the C&W dice. Besides, Dave's AI is deciding on the moves for most of the Doggie planes, which makes me think Dave's AI has it in for Fergis.

I barely have half of Paul's and Pete's claims. These are our ace of aces for sure!

Another good show Paul. Your boys swept the sky in line with following orders. Uncle should be pleased.

Love your planes. Can't wait to see your next generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I barely have half of Paul's and Pete's claims. These are our ace of aces for sure!

Another good show Paul. Your boys swept the sky in line with following orders. Uncle should be pleased.

Love your planes. Can't wait to see your next generation.
    Thanks, Peter. Next gen of replacements - Pups - are underway but will need to get some shapeways Tripes to supplement the Ares for the gen after that.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-22-2021, 11:32
  2. AAR OTT CYM Mission 5 Going Solo - 5 August 1916 by ShadowDragon
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-04-2021, 13:53
  3. BRF OTT CYM Mission 9 “Who’s Stalking Who?” 5 September 1916
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-14-2020, 16:20
  4. Replies: 13