Ares Games

Thread: Veteran's Day

Default Veteran's Day

Here in the U.S. November 11 is Veteran's Day. I would like to remember and honor my Dad -- World War II veteran Chief Petty Officer George H. Brown, US Navy. His service medals include the American Campaign medal, the European and Middle Eastern campaign medal, the Pacific campaign medal, the Philippine Liberation medal, the World War II Victory medal, the Japan Occupation medal, and the Good Conduct medal. The crew of his ship also received a commendation from the French government for rescuing the survivors of a Free French ship torpedoed alongside them -- the water filled with ignited oil and many of the surviving French sailors were severely burned. He was also part of a shore patrol in Hiroshima several weeks after the bombing -- what he saw there was sobering.
    Rest In Peace Dad -- I miss you.

Remembering fallen family members, brothers/sisters in arms, and suffering veterans here in Canada.

As I've said to friends this past week, this will be the first time I will not be at a Remembrance Parade since 1973. I have attended parades since then, in an Air Cadet uniform (for four years), a Canadian Forces uniform (for 36 years), and as a veteran (for the past seven years). This is so strange for me.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Another reason to hate 2020. Hopefully next year will be so much better.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

US and Canadian flags are mounted on the front of our house, and I am wearing a poppy my daughter brought down from Canada last year, and a pin I got from the RAF Museum online shop a couple of years ago.

Remembering all those who served, and especially those who never came home.

There is a WWII monument in my original hometown: We gave blood, you give love. Trying to do it every single day.

Remembering all who served, for our freedoms.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Tim 4;7.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	294287

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Loss of a Korean War Veteran
    By Future Pilot in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2018, 07:02
  2. Undecorated WWI Veteran
    By Walter Nowotny in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-2016, 19:03
  3. Last U.S. WWI veteran dies at 110 in W. Virginia
    By Justin3.14 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1