Ares Games

Thread: Comox Air Force Museum Giftshop Surprise

Default Comox Air Force Museum Giftshop Surprise

I haven't been in the main building of the Museum for a few months, other than a few Friday shifts in August. I've been in the workshop building refurbishing the Heritage Stones, working solo to maintain social distance. I stopped in because I forgot my keys at home, to sign out spares, and they had new stock on display in the gift shop.

One of the new t-shirts looked like this:
    Name:  NP-IH.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  60.5 KB

Being that I custom painted this very plane for Wing of Glory Prague 2019, I had to get one.
    Name:  Bishop1aComp.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  108.7 KB

So, the t-shirts are not West Coast Canadian Military Aviation, they do have Canadian Ace pilots on them. Next one to get is William Barker's Sopwith Camel, if Keith (Aerodrome Accessories) doesn't offer Camel shirts, that is.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Love it Mike

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Oh that’s good, wonder how a Bristol would look on a shirt like that...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

You mean your special Brisfit? I can show you if you have a scissors

That is a good looking t-shirt, Mike.

Next surprise!

My Comox Campaign opponent needed something to wear while I was flying my Ni.17s, so I managed to snag this:
    Name:  Albatros DIII Jasta5 Strobel T-Shirt.png
Views: 422
Size:  202.8 KB

Hmmm... I need to repaint one of my Albatros D.IIIs to match, I think...
    Mike

That too is a good looking tee-shirt, Mike!
    Last edited by Naharaht; 11-30-2020 at 07:49.

Nice!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Now that is a great t shirt... definitely want that one.... could always try telling my wife ‘what this old thing? I’ve had it years’

Err... do they do one with a Bristol Fighter?

Mike, I've been in touch with Miriam at Comox to see if they mail order to the U.K. She suggested I order direct from the manufacturer - Labusch Skywear - as the mailing charges will be lower, and I'd avoid the museum markup. Refreshingly honest of her, I must say.

https://www.skywear.com/collections

Looking at the site I see there is also a Camel, but no Bristol Chris. However, you are spoilt for choice on the WW2 side of things.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I was just about to look at the Comos Gift Shop but seems you've done the legwork Steve, thanks. Lots of great images to wear at the site you linked. Too bad there are not many WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Mike, I've been in touch with Miriam at Comox to see if they mail order to the U.K. She suggested I order direct from the manufacturer - Labusch Skywear - as the mailing charges will be lower, and I'd avoid the museum markup. Refreshingly honest of her, I must say.

https://www.skywear.com/collections

Looking at the site I see there is also a Camel, but no Bristol Chris. However, you are spoilt for choice on the WW2 side of things.
    Steve,
    The Museum and staff are pretty much devoted to the history of aviation, and not the making of money. I have been at the front counter when potential clients have been advised that there are cheaper places to get products. The hand-carved mahogany planes (usually sourced from Malaysia) were available from our gift shop, but no longer, due to shipping and mark-up resulting in unaffordable pricing.

The Museum has made choices in stock that cater to the mission for the most part. I was surprised to see the WWI t-shirts. Billy Bishop is mentioned in our displays, as is William Barker, so the subjects are part of Canadian Aviation history. The sad thing is that there isn't more stuff available with Canadian focus. We suffer from niche marketing syndrome, I'm afraid. Were there any famous aces flying Bristol Fighters?

Darn! The things you learn when posting on this Forum. Lt Col Andrew Edward McKeever, DSO, MC & Bar, DFC. A Canadian with 31 victories, the highest scoring pilot on Bristol F.2 Fighter! But, from Listowel, Ontario, so not West Coast. Potential T-shirt material.
    Mike

Staff there are to be commended Mike.

Fact is, we've visited V.I. on a number of occasions and I was not aware that there was a museum there worth a visit.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Staff there are to be commended Mike.

Fact is, we've visited V.I. on a number of occasions and I was not aware that there was a museum there worth a visit.
    It is a small museum, with a lot of stuff in it. There is an external park with some planes located close by.

A virtual tour can be viewed here: Comox Air Force Museum - Virtual Tour
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Err... do they do one with a Bristol Fighter?
    Try here, Chris : https://www.redbubble.com/shop/bristol+fighter+t-shirts

I expect there are other stores also.

Like here: https://fineartamerica.com/shop/tshirts/bristol+fighter
    Last edited by Naharaht; 11-30-2020 at 08:13.

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - November 2019
    By OldGuy59 in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2019, 04:46
  2. British Columbia: Open Cockpit Day at the Comox Air Force Museum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2019, 23:38
  3. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum - June 2019
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-30-2019, 05:31
  4. British Columbia: Wings of Glory at the Comox Air Force Museum