Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your November Workbench? 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    Attachment 294205

The trouble with moving is that sometimes you put something in a clearly marked box...then forget where you put the box. But finally stumbled across my half-finished Fokker E.IV with Gulf racing colors. And somewhere in the box in the garage is the actual propeller for this.

Somewhere I have the original sketch...

Attachment 294207

Anyway, good enough for play. On to the Fokker D.IIs and Airco DH.2s.
    Hmmm... Another plane I didn't have a template for...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fokker EIV Work.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	294273

Unit and pilot?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Unit and pilot? Dang - never a thought to that. Ummmm, Leutnant Rickard Müller. Honestly, I can’t name a single unit before the Jastas, so dealer’s choice.

...Rickard Müller.
    Rickard or Richard?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    BobP, according to French Aircraft of the First World War by Dr. James J. Davilla, et.al., the Nieuport 12 was used by France, Chile, Estonia, Poland, Russia. Siam, and the United Kingdom. The Belgian Air Service in the First World War by Walter Pieters has no mention of the Nieuport 12. Windsock Datafile 68: Nieuport 10-12 mentions 2 Belgian squadrons using the Nieuport 10, but none using the Nieuport 12.

I prefer well researched books rather than the vagaries of Wikipedia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Never trust Wikipedia!
    My researches into Jasta 2 have thrown up multiple mistakes, misquotes and plain (plane, geddit?) factual errors.
    I have wasted too much time to ever trust it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    My attempts at online research led me to try accessing the Belgian Defense website. I was hoping to find a list of aviation units and their histories, so I could put a reconnaissance squadron on the card. First, I don't read whatever language their website is using. I could have handled French, German, or English. I could have taken a swing at Dutch. With that handicap, I did get to the Air Force part, but I couldn't find any listings of actual squadrons, nor their histories. Complete bust. Wikipedia is only as good as its contributors, and there doesn't appear to be anyone contributing anything detailed for the WWI Belgian Air Component. It provided only a slightly confusing mention of a few of the fighter squadrons, not really mentioning the other roles performed by the others. So, I took a stab.

Also, many air forces didn't start with dedicated role squadrons in WWI, as nobody really had clear ideas of what airplanes would do, tactically, let alone operationally or strategically. As the French started narrowing the mission scope of their squadrons, the Germans followed suit, and then everyone else did in self-defense.

It would be nice to have a good library to draw from, and I did have access to a 6000+ book aviation library before COVID-19, but even that library would have very little for the Belgian Air Force, I suspect.

Are we having fun, yet?
    I wanted to delete Belgium as a user on Wiki, but there are plenty of others that were confirmed as a "non-users": Argentina, (Belgium), Greece, Japan, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, USA and, on the other hand, Chile is missing Bloody hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    William, that's from a '94 Testors 3-pack, appears to have been first tooled by O-Lin back in '49. The Testor paint codes are a distinctive identifier.
    https://www.scalemates.com/kits/test...hters--1137350

Some of those old tools have seen a lot of hard use and don't shoot moldings as well as they used to or have bad warping propensity... I cringe every time I think about taking another stab at the Monogram F-106 to try to build a pair of 318th FIS birds painted with one as the '60s birds my grandfather slung wrenches on in the post-Pueblo Incident deployment to Korea and the other as my old prof's "Boss Bird" near the last days of McChord Sixes.
    Wow, thank you for the history. I will let my brother know and add it to our Blog.

Hope this is remotely accurate for name and unit. There was a Muller in Kest 6.

Name:	Fokker EIV_Kest6 Lt Muller Card2s.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	294277
    Mike

That works. Great!

Another brilliant card, well done and thank you Mike.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

What would the Le Mans Mazda 787B paint scheme look like on an E.IV?

Perhaps something like this?

Name:	Fokker EIV Mazda787B.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	294288

PS: From this car:

Name:	Mazda_787B_8c04431938a10b293fdc05d5590f8d7c.jpg 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	294289
    Mike

These schemes would be great for the racing variant of WGF

I didn't know that having a Belgum Nieuport 12 would cause such a contravirsy so forgive me for doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    What would the Le Mans Mazda 787B paint scheme look like on an E.IV?

Perhaps something like this?

Name:	Fokker EIV Mazda787B.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	294288

PS: From this car:

Name:	Mazda_787B_8c04431938a10b293fdc05d5590f8d7c.jpg 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	294289
    Not that far off - more green down the fuselage before cross-patterning into the Orange is how I have imagined it. The thing I ‘m wrestling more with is whether to stick with the bright colors of the actual car, or the more subdued drab green used on the Eindeckers, and the pastel orange of my Gulf Fokker, so that it looks more period appropriate (I have no problem with being idiosyncratic and non-historical).

Also, painting the dashes: cheat and use a gel white pen? I’ll have to experiment with that to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Love it Mike! How about some RedBull colors!

Name:	16051299591798971152521338538980.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	294290
    Nakajima Ki.43:

Name:	Nakajima_Ki_43-I_RedBull_Falken.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	294385

Name:	Nakajima_Ki_43-I_RedBull_Racer.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	294386
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-11-2020 at 19:41.
    Mike

Not that far off - more green down the fuselage before cross-patterning into the Orange is how I have imagined it. The thing I ‘m wrestling more with is whether to stick with the bright colors of the actual car, or the more subdued drab green used on the Eindeckers, and the pastel orange of my Gulf Fokker, so that it looks more period appropriate (I have no problem with being idiosyncratic and non-historical).

Also, painting the dashes: cheat and use a gel white pen? I’ll have to experiment with that to see if it works.
    I have seen a version without the dashed white lines, just the green and orange diamonds.

Name:	Mazda_787B_mcldc-32.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	294387
    OK. This is an image of a Hi-Tech decal set, and it includes the dashed white lines as a separate decal. So, not a different color scheme, just part of the same.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-11-2020 at 19:50.
    Mike

There was a version - 767B rather than 787b, I think - that had hard-to-see silver dashes rather than white dashes. But I’m dealing specifically with Le Mans winners. I think it was ‘68 for the Gulf Ford GT40 (the year after Gurney defined racing celebrations forever after by hosing down the press corps with champagne), and ‘91 for Mazda’s stunning upset victory. Alas, my favorite car was boring white and never actually won (Chaparral 2D). Of course, I could just primer it and almost be done...

Oh, the trigger for all this. I was driving down the 10 freeway in SoCal from JPL to downtown Pasadena, when I saw a car transport truck up ahead. And my eyes immediately were riveted to the Italian Racing red rear end of a car that looked like a Ferrari 330 P3. Number 21 - Bandini’s car! And another! And a couple of Ford GT40s! And Porsche 906s! We’re those real? Because if they were, I’d hate to be the insurer if that truck crashed! Only much later while watching the movie, Ford vs. Ferrari, did I realize those were the cars from the film, on their way to the Fontana roval for filming (stand in for Daytona).
    Last edited by Dawn Patrol; 11-11-2020 at 20:33.

I have to say, the race themed WWI plane idea is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I have to say, the race themed WWI plane idea is awesome!
    Or WW2; I have rules from Strangely Brown to run sometime
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Racing is a good idea, mind you so is a stop the Pigeon themed game...

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Racing is a good idea, mind you so is a stop the Pigeon themed game...
    You can write the rules for anvils and pigeon-slapping hands
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Next lot I have been amusing myself with. Getting a bit busy around here between painting and casting lead.

Name:	100_7396.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	294543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7400.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	294544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7401.jpg 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	294545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7404.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	294546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7405.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	294547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7409.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	294548

I picked up a WoW Albatros D.Va (Weber) recently and over the last couple of days turned it into this interpretation of a WoW MvR's Albatros D.V 1177/17.
    It didn't go quite as expected but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out all the same.
    I painted out the lozenge on the wings with an earlier style cammo then over painted it all with some old GW Ruby Red, added some decals, varnish & a Peter Pig pilot to finish it off.

Name:	IMG_20201115_171323461.jpg 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	294563

The colour differences are greater than I expected, the ruby red is a little more translucent than the blood red I usually use and maybe I should have given it a coat of that first

Name:	IMG_20201115_171414498.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	294564

but I do like how it looks

Name:	IMG_20201115_171429301.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	294565
    Last edited by flash; 11-15-2020 at 11:27.

"He is wise who watches"

Shadowcat, you have taken some of my miniatures and made them beautiful!!!!

Just teasing about taking anything. I find it amusing that you just painted some of the miniatures I have in my fantasy collection that we used for RPG. Wonderful work!

Flash, that Albatros looks really nice!

Well, not super amazing but I am happy with my results. I wanted a few more Jasta 10 Pfalz. Here are my recruits.

Name:	DSC09938.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	294566

First is my version of Aloys Helmann. Vallejo Pale Grey Blue one the Fuselage with Vallejo Blue for the tail. Decals from the Aerodrome Store.

Name:	DSC09942.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	294567

I continued the scheme of different color tails. Next is Pilot Roter Schwanz. Vallejo Pale Grey Blue one the Fuselage with Vallejo Vermilion for the tail. Decals from the Aerodrome Store.

Name:	DSC09939.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	294568

Finally is Pilot Lila Schwanz. Vallejo Pale Grey Blue one the Fuselage with Vallejo Blue Violet for the tail. Decals from the Aerodrome Store.

Name:	DSC09941.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	294569

Now Werner Voss and Hans Klein have some wing men to go hunting with.

Name:	DSC09944.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	294570

Nice result on the Richthofen D.V., Flash!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Great work, Dan!

I've left you Rep on the "Jasta/Flik" thread.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Those look good, Dan.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Smart Jasta 10 Dan

"He is wise who watches"

Good work on Jasta 10 Dan. May have to steal that idea. Rep incoming.

Nice Albatrosses there... great Zombies as well.

I am loving all of the fine work going on aircraft related, cars, soldiers etc. etc. to much to mention. The last time my brother and I got together we not only flew a WWI mission, but he introduced me to Bolt Action gaming as well. He has been slowly collecting various period soldiers and equipment all in the 1/56 scale. Not only that, he has been building scenery - buildings, bridges, walls and the like. Ok, where am I going with all of this? A few weeks ago another get together was suggested and I said let's try Bolt Action. He asked for a scenario, I said a German town battle. He said he would have to quickly build some destroyed buildings, an excuse he was waiting for. Not only a destroyed building but the cafe at the corner in the final scenes of Saving Private Ryan! My response was "we need a Tiger 1", which was not yet in his armor collection. Now the pressure switched to me so I bought a 1/56 Tiger 1 kit with the following results. If you want to see all the gory details of this build go to The Atom Furnace Blog.

https://theatomfurnace.blogspot.com/

Name:	9470.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	294644 Here is what I was trying to replicate in miniature.

Name:	IMG_3187.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	294645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3185.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	294646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62731892055__33327B79-2939-46B1-BB58-6A37526C122B.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	294647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62731897375__946FA8D8-9C43-43A3-97AC-6531A4ED2EA8.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	294648

I was able to make the Commander's hatch operable so he could "Button Up" Were are now ready for Die Krieg!
    Last edited by Willi; 11-17-2020 at 13:59. Reason: typos

That 431 looks like one out of Kelly's Hero's, a converted T34 or the like. Look at the turret, too far forward and the road wheels are not interwoven like a Tiger. Nice paint job though, done a few myself.

Name:	100_4436.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	294653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6182.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	294654

Nice. Very awesome looking tanks!!!

Very nice tanks, I have a troop of Churchills that would love a crack at them

Here is my latest project. Not the most creative, but I had fun doing this.

We all know what a bumblebee is.

Name:	SIERRA Bumble Bee Pollen WB.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	294664

Most fish and aquarium enthusiasts know what a Bumblebee Cichlid is.

Name:	bumblebee-cichlid.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	294665

Those who are into classical music know what The Flight of the Bumblebee by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and Sergei Rachmaninoff is. A pretty fun composition if you ask me.

When I saw the Ares Fokker E.V Osterkamp release the first thing that came to my mind was, "Look, a bumblebee!"

So, here is my Flight of the Bumblebees. Don't mess with these bumblebees, their sting is lethal!

Name:	DSC09947.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	294666

Name:	DSC09953.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	294667

Microscale decals for the top wing numbers.
    Vallejo White to touch up the tails.
    Vallejo Flat Yellow to touch up the yellow.

Name:	DSC09952.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	294668

I-94 Decals for the fuselage numbers.

Name:	DSC09949.jpg 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	294669

Then for the plane card and base I used some scrap booking number vinyl stickers.

Name:	DSC09946.jpg 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	294670

Been wanting to do this one for a while. I had fun with this!

Nice tanks. When I played Tractics I had a 1/72 Tiger that I named ULLA. This was after War of the Worlds album came out.
    Dan you are doing a great job with the planes you are painting. Those EV are great looking.

Nice flight of EVs Dan. I have a set of the J10 Lowenhardts to do up but now want a flight like yours!

Nothing with wings on my workbench this month.

A set of Space Marine Heroes Terminators.

I'm not into WH40K tabletop, but this squad is a great addition to my painted Space Hulk board game minatures, a second flamer, minigun and some close combat marines. (...think the rocket launcher needs some extra rules.)

Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

space hulk is a great game. I've got a a painted squad

Someone else put up images of tanks, so I'm going to...

Top-down view of the Tank Chess - Central Square expansion:

Name:	TankChess_CentralSqr_4Crop.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	294699
    Color city-scape board, with 3D trees, bill posts, fountains and a statue. The buildings are printed card stock, and require assembly. Being that I have put together 1/144th scale planes, these weren't as tough. But there were a bunch of them.

Another view:

Name:	TankChess_CentralSqr_3Crop.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	294700

The stylized tanks are from the basic game (not included in the Central Square expansion), and shown are the three different types of tanks for the basic game (the basic game actually includes five different types per side).

I also picked up the Fun Set expansion, with minesweepers, bridge layers, armored cars, etc...

This is going to be fun, when I don't want to be up in the air, or sucking vacuum.

PS: Link: Forsage Games - Tank Chess: Central Square Expansion (Standard)

How to assemble the buildings: BoardGameGeek.com - Tank Chess Forum: Central Square Help Please
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-20-2020 at 20:42.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    On deck for November;

Tamiya 1/35 Panzer IV D. This kit is dated 1974! I think I built the same kit about 40 years ago!

3 x AIM 1/200 G4M1 Bettys. These were on deck last month, but didn’t make it.
    6 x AIM 1/200 A6M3 Zeroes.
    2 x Shapeways C5M Babs. One will be painted in IJN and one in IJA colors.

Attachment 293867

Should be another busy month!
    2/3 of the way through the month and;

1) the Panzer IVD is assembled with small parts painted and ready for chipping;
    2) six A6M3’s are primed, base coated and ready for detail painting;
    3) three G4M1’s are painted, clear coated and ready for decals and;
    4) one C5M Babs is done and the other is painted and ready for details.

The only thing that may save me is the four day Thanksgiving here in the US. I may still get this all done before December 1st!

Definitely enjoying all of these projects!

Name:	4F028150-2A39-486D-A951-F1D763CD8BDF.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	294701

Dave, All looks great. I am really liking those G4M1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    ...I'm not into WH40K tabletop, but this squad is a great addition to my painted Space Hulk board game minatures...
    Absolutely Sven, played it since '89, I didn't get into the 3rd edition but have multiples of the first two including the expansions, great game.

Name:	SAM_6718.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	294706

Have a few figures now.. many adaptations, including the Stealers
    I will have a look for rules for the cyclone.. Found them - I will PM them to you.
    Last edited by flash; 11-21-2020 at 13:43.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave.

I‘m a proud owner of the second edition, too.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Didn't have Spacehulk. But I did have 3 squads of terminators in by Warhammer 40K Blood Angels. Great figures!

My latest, just to keep from going crazy during therapy

Name:	20201120_224748.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	294707

Quite fun!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    My latest, just to keep from going crazy during therapy

Name:	20201120_224748.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	294707

Quite fun!
    Almost the right scale?
    Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. April 2020 Workbench
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 05-31-2020, 06:47
  2. November 2019 Workbench
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 12-04-2019, 14:24
  3. What's on your November Workbench?
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 11-30-2018, 21:16
  4. What's On Your Workbench for November 2015?
    By Пилот in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 11-30-2015, 04:16
  5. Whats on your workbench for November?
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-30-2014, 18:50