Ares Games

Thread: Nexus to Ares changes

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default Nexus to Ares changes

I know I saw this before, but can't seem to find it. When Ares took over production, there were some planes that ended up with different maneuver decks. I am thinking they were the Eindecker and the DH2, but can't put my finger on it. Is my memory still good? Were there any other differences?

Thanks!
    Kevin

I am not sure of all of them. I know the Sopwith Snipe decks changed slightly. Some of the steep maneuvers have been made into regular maneuvers.

WW1 deck changes that I remember..

Fokker E.III changed from P to T
    Halberstadt D.III changed from G to P
    Airco DH2 changed from G to P
    Morane Bullet changed from P to T

The R deck changed, too, now including FOUR sideslips (one wide) in each direction! The only deck to do so. This is nuts, because it makes the Nieuport 16 a match in manoeuvrability for the Nieuport 11 (E deck), something which is contrary to ALL experts' opinions. Putting a more powerful, heavier engine in the Nieuport 11 airframe to create the Nieuport 16 caused a significant loss of manoeuvrability. This must be a mistake, the wide sideslips should not be there at all.

Try looking here, too - https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2043
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-25-2020 at 14:40.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Ok, that tracks with what I remember tho the change in the R deck is new. Frankly, I don't even have an R deck! Thanks for the info, guess I'll have to pick up some of the new models to get the updated decks

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by green dragon View Post
    I know I saw this before, but can't seem to find it....
    You're probably remembering this sticky thread in WGF General Discussions Kevin:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post170770

"He is wise who watches"

The new R deck is only in the Tripods Starter Set, IIRC?

Or perhaps a few Kickstater Add-ons?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

It's in the "Albert Ball" Nieuport 16, retailing as a stand-alone mini.

I don't do Tripe-pods, but I have 5 of theses Nieuports...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I dug out a Balloon Buster set and a Tripod Starter set, and compared decks.

The Nexus R deck is 20 cards, including altitude cards, with three regular full-length sideslips (each, left and right). The Ares R deck is 22 cards, including altitude cards, with three regular full-length sideslips (each, left and right) and one each direction of a short non-steep sideslip. Interesting.

I remember reading somewhere that there were restrictions that should be imposed on Rocket-equipped Ni.16s, such as not using sideslips, or not using opposing sideslips consecutively, or something like that. Probably a House-rule? The House-rule would likely forbid the short non-steep sideslip, yes?
    Mike

The restrictions when carrying rockets were applied to the Nieuport 11's, not the Nieuport 16's, Mike.

I have given up with all the changes and trying to make compliant decks. I just fly the deck they come with, and put the differences down to pilot ability or lack thereove. Or the condition of the aircraft structure, engine etc., and the ability of the service mechanics and riggers it has to service it. Kiss methodology!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have given up with all the changes and trying to make compliant decks. I just fly the deck they come with, and put the differences down to pilot ability or lack thereove. Or the condition of the aircraft structure, engine etc., and the ability of the service mechanics and riggers it has to service it. Kiss methodology!
    Rob.

same here. i like the simplistic approach.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Amen. I want to keep flying my eindeckers, even tho I don't have the "correct" deck

Amen as well. Lets just play and have fun.

Rob.
    Mike

Approbation like this and also Rep from yourself Mike is good enough for me.
    Thanks chaps, much appreciated. My real reason for being a Luddite is that I have spent far too much time and money recourcing extra decks for my own builds, printing decks and producing decks which did not exist to go changing them all on a whim from Ares. I had too much of that melarky from Games Workshop in my youth to abide it now!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Approbation like this and also Rep from yourself Mike is good enough for me.
    Thanks chaps, much appreciated. My real reason for being a Luddite is that I have spent far too much time and money recourcing extra decks for my own builds, printing decks and producing decks which did not exist to go changing them all on a whim from Ares. I had too much of that melarky from Games Workshop in my youth to abide it now!
    Rob.
    AMEN to that Rob! Let's keep it simple!

Similar Missions

1. Different paint schemes Nexus-Ares
    By Alfgard in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-05-2020, 11:58
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-26-2017, 13:37
  3. Your Favorite Nexus/Ares Belgian Plane?
    By predhead in forum Polls
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 11:10
  4. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 16:56
  5. Favorite Red Baron Mini - Nexus or Ares?
    By Dwarflord22 in forum Polls
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 07:04