Ares Games

Thread: AAR OOT CYM Mission 1 Battle Over The Trenches/Back To The Front - camel crew

Default AAR OOT CYM Mission 1 Battle Over The Trenches/Back To The Front - camel crew

Okay, here goes. Apologies if this doesn't fit here but someone suggested I should have a go. I'll go back to reporting through Missions if that's better for you all. It doesn't quite fit because my planes are starting from September 1916. I used the KoTA/OTT timeline, the CYM combatants generator, Rookie rules and the d8 solo sheets.

I ran this mission first from the 95 Squadron point of view to an inconclusive conclusion. So here's how the start of the campaign went from Jasta 25's point of view. Hope you'll enjoy.

Albatros D.II - Leutnant Hans von Weddall
    Albatros D.II - Leutnant Kurt Hertze
    Albatros D.II - Leutnant Theodore Kronitz

Nieuport 17 - 2nd Lieutenant Giles Osborne
    Nieuport 17 - 2nd Lieutenant Arthur Sidicote

Leutnant Hans von Weddell led his flight out of the clouds to find them just out of firing range of two Nieuport 17s, who were unaware of their arrival. He fired a long shot, not in the hope of hitting anything but just as a distraction. His ply worked as the Nieuports split left and right, to face the enemy.

von Weddal and Hertze followed the port side plan. von Weddal overflew the turning Nieuport of Osborne but Hertze had flown inside the turn and he and Osborne traded shots Hertze (1) Osborne (0) with minor damage to Hertze. von Weddall now closed on Osbourne and saw his bullets walk up the fusilage and into the cockpit (0, 5 plus Wounded Pilot) Hertze continued to make Osborne's day one full of misery (3, 0 plus Gun Jam) It was the last thing he remembered as Osborne returned fire (2 plus NLR, Boom) and he fell from the sky. von Weddall failed to hit Osborne (0,0) as Osborne flew out of his sights.

von Weddall's sights were instantly filled with the Nieuport of Sidicote flying directly towards him guns blazing, von Weddall (2, 2 plus Flame) von Weddall's guns fired and them stopped Sidicote (2, 2 plus Gun Jam) With his guns jammed and his plane on fire, all von Weddall's attention was now focussed on trying not to go down in flames.

Osborne's one idea was to get his battered plane and body out of this battle and head for home. This wasn't to be as Kronitz flew in close and ended his day (3 plus Wounded Pilot, 2 plus Flame)

Sidicote was trying to to target the twisted, flaming plane in front of him. von Weddell finally extinguished the flames (0,0,0) only to find Sidicote flying directly towards him. They both fired von Weddall (1) Sidicote (4) The disorientated von Weddall couldn't avoid the collision von Weddall (1) Sidicote (0) Sidicote decided enough was enough and turned for home. von Weddall swung his plane left away from the Entente side of the lines, lining up a close shot on Sidicote. His bullets tore through the Nieuport before stopping (2 plus NLR, 2 plus Gun Jam) The Nieuport started to plummet towards the ground.

The exiliaration of victory of victory was tinged with the bitterness of seeing one of their comrades fall. They headed back to their base.

BUTCHER'S TALLY

Leutnant Hans von Weddall Rolled 10 RTB +1 = 11 All's well + 1 kill
    Leutnant Theodore Kronitz Rolled 5 RTB +1 =6 Miss 2 scenarios + 1 kill
    Leutnant Kurt Hertze Rolled 11 EXPL -3 = 8 Miss 2 scenarios

2nd Lieutenant Giles Osborne Rolled 8 SD -1 WIA -2 = 5 Miss 2 scenarios
    E & E Rolled 8 WIA - 2 NML + 1 = 7 Landed almost home

2nd Lieutenant Arthur Sidicote Rolled 6 SD -1 WIA - 1 NML + 1 = 5 miss 3 scenarios
    E & E Rolled 6 SD -1 NML +1 = 6 In hiding miss 2 scenarios

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    ...Okay, here goes. Apologies if this doesn't fit here but someone suggested I should have a go. I'll go back to reporting through Missions if that's better for you all...
    Good effort Iain, and apologies accepted, you can only post threads in OTT if enrolled in the current campaign but by all means play them & post your AAR's in that sub-forum. We will be starting the next campaign early next year if you're interested then, see the joining instructions in the rules sticky.
    Meanwhile this thread will be moved.
    Last edited by flash; 10-22-2020 at 06:45.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Back to Front - Mike's AAR
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-05-2020, 09:19
  2. AAR OTT CYM - Mission 1 - Flash Back to Front - 5th July 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-04-2020, 12:31
  3. AAR: Italian Front - OTT CYM Mission 1 Back to Front
    By ShadowDragon in forum WGF: After Action Reports