Ares Games

Thread: Fumble fingers :-p

Default Fumble fingers :-p

Hi all,

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.

I am new to WoG and really enjoying it, apart from trying to pick up the aircraft to move them. Has anyone got any solutions for being able to pick up the bevelled aircraft bases more easily? It often ends up with the plane falling off or others being bumped and accidentally moved, especially when in a tight melee.

I am hesitant to glue a peg into the base. Many seem to be too loose, so is it just a matter of finding pegs that are tight?

Thank you, Peter.

PS I love the aerodrome, it is by far the best-organised information source and forum I have seen.

Oberst Hajj sells some sticky, non-setting glue for use with Flight Stands in the Aerodrome Store but he does not appear to have any in stock at the moment.

if you give the pegs slight twist when you put them in the base a lot of times they will stick in it better. be careful and dont twist too much as you might break the peg off in the base.

Thank you both. I think you can also buy removal glue dots that might do the trick.
    Cheers, P
    :-)

think they do straight edged stands at the aerodrome store which are allegedly (I have no knowledge) easier to pick up

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    think they do straight edged stands at the aerodrome store which are allegedly (I have no knowledge) easier to pick up
    They do and they are; I find 'em useful for Shapeways planes which come without bases.

Personally, I have no trouble at all picking up the bevel-edged bases - I guess I must have Gecko fingers, or some such.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks. I’m sure I will get the hang of it :-)
    Incidentally, I see how you earn medals (I am very heartened and impressed by how many are for compassionate reasons and mutual support for those facing difficult times), but how are Aerial Victories earned?

Thanks again for your responses everyone.
    Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot Pete View Post
    Thanks. I’m sure I will get the hang of it :-)
    Incidentally, I see how you earn medals (I am very heartened and impressed by how many are for compassionate reasons and mutual support for those facing difficult times), but how are Aerial Victories earned?

Thanks again for your responses everyone.
    Cheers, Peter
    Aerial Victories are a point value assigned to each of the awards. The higher level award, the more points it is worth.

When I first started playing I had the same problem with the flight pegs. I glued 1 peg to the base of a few planes to keep them from coming off. I bought the glue from the Aerodrome Store and it works well. I think no matter what you do you will still have a problem. I have seen many planes knocked over during games.

If the stand gives me trouble I just pick up by the peg instead.

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    I tried the Aerodrome flight stands and THEY WORK FOR ME. They are thicker and have straight edges. I can definitely grasp them and move them more easily than the stock stands. As a result, I bought a dozen basic flight stands and use them exclusively for game play. I like to paint the lines and numbers before removing the protective film.

If you buy some, be sure to test fit the pegs into the base. Don't just jam 'em in all ape-like (I did). You can split the base. Take a small round file and just the tiniest amount of effort makes the hole perfect.

Thumbs up

A tiny bit of "Blutac" will work with the pegs but I use the Aerodrome store peg glue to fix mine.

Look up "Micro Kristal Kleer" by Microscale Industries--it's a substance similar to Elmer's glue that dries clear and can be used to make small windows in tiny models or join clear panes to their frames in regular ones.

Elmer's would probably give most of the benefits but a bit less clear at a fraction the cost.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I tried the removable glue spots but the holes are too small to jam the glue into, so just found pegs for each plane that grabbed sufficiently when twisted a little.