Ares Games

Thread: Cheap source of models in 1/300 scale

Default Cheap source of models in 1/300 scale

Hi everyone,

I have every single WoW edition and expansion, but in card form.

I never bought the miniatures because of their price.

Found this instead that I bought and I aim to paint.

https://www.theplasticsoldiercompany...stic-grab-bag/

They are 100 planes, many of which in the game... at 10 pounds...

The scale of 1/300 should actually be identical or very cose to the scale of the planes on the cards, so maybe even better than the 1/200 scale of the WoW/WoG official miniatures.

What do you think? Should we pressure PSC to produce models for all the other planes in the game? :-D

Well, that's different!

Looks like a bargain at that price - thanks for flagging it up!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

There are members on this site that only want ready-to-play planes out of the box, and don't want to pick up a brush, or decals actually, to play the game. There are others that have converted their entire collections to 1/144th scale (for WWII Wings of War/Glory that was released in 1/200th scale), because there are many, many models of all sorts of planes, in-game produced or not. There are some that will repaint existing planes, or buy 1/200th scale third party planes, again to get more, or different planes into the game. And still others that will sculpt up a prototype and make resin casts to produce planes they want at the right scale, and paint them.

It is one of the reasons I produce the custom cards I do, besides repaints of custom pilots and crews.

If you want planes at 1/300th scale, you can ask the company. But it might be a bit difficult to get all the different groups on this Forum to back a jump to yet another scale. I could produce cards for any scale, though.

PS: Scale comparison:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScaleSize-1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	293710

Yup. The 1/300 scale image is almost exactly the image on a card. Cool.

You do know that the ground scale in the game, for movement, is 1/2270th scale? Just saying.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-21-2020 at 13:23.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Wow that is one way of getting back into WW2 in a hurry... thanks for sharing that

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

10 pence a plane is not a bad deal at all
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Well, that's different!

Looks like a bargain at that price - thanks for flagging it up!
    My pleasure. I will need some guidance and hints on how to paint them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    10 pence a plane is not a bad deal at all
    Not at all and there are a good range of models for the main planes, including gladiator and Stuka which are not even present in the main Battle of Britain game by PSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Wow that is one way of getting back into WW2 in a hurry... thanks for sharing that
    Welcome! Will appreciate hints and guidance on what i need to paint them. But there should be plenty even to deal with mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    There are members on this site that only want ready-to-play planes out of the box, and don't want to pick up a brush, or decals actually, to play the game. There are others that have converted their entire collections to 1/144th scale (for WWII Wings of War/Glory that was released in 1/200th scale), because there are many, many models of all sorts of planes, in-game produced or not. There are some that will repaint existing planes, or buy 1/200th scale third party planes, again to get more, or different planes into the game. And still others that will sculpt up a prototype and make resin casts to produce planes they want at the right scale, and paint them.

It is one of the reasons I produce the custom cards I do, besides repaints of custom pilots and crews.

If you want planes at 1/300th scale, you can ask the company. But it might be a bit difficult to get all the different groups on this Forum to back a jump to yet another scale. I could produce cards for any scale, though.

PS: Scale comparison:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScaleSize-1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	293710

Yup. The 1/300 scale image is almost exactly the image on a card. Cool.

You do know that the ground scale in the game, for movement, is 1/2270th scale? Just saying.
    Great to hear that they are at scale with the planes on the cards. The larger miniatures always made me a bit wary that they make targets easier to reach and contacts more probable. But yeah... after all the whole thing including trajectories is completely off scale... :-)

But how do you calculate the scale of trajectories without factoring in time... just the turning angles?
    Last edited by kolvorok; 10-22-2020 at 03:27.

Does anyone know how to make or where to buy the transparent stand platforms and risers?

If you mean in the standard WOG size then I bought some from Litko fairly cheaply.

Yeah, I was thinking of buying the litko ones.

A few issues I noticed:
    1) They do not have the rear firing arc for the Stukas... but I can add that with a permanent marker easily.

2) In terms of risers/altitude pegs they do not seem to be selling those.

So I was thinking of either using some sort of telescopic antenna...

Or doing what this guy has done with lego bricks...
    http://anotherwargamesblog.blogspot....-aircraft.html

Lego sells those bits for Ł0.06 each, so Ł6 pounds plus shipping for a pack of 100 (makes you realise how cheap those planes in my link are...)

Maybe with a sphere instead of a flat magnet.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by kolvorok View Post

The scale of 1/300
    Wow, I thought 1/200 were very very small until you came up with 1/300 :-)

Anyway, enjoy your painting

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post

I know... it is going to be a challenge... but at least I can afford to have several planes in different color schemes... even just 20 official planes, even just fighters at their current pricing would easily cost me more than 200-300 pounds... and I am being conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post

They're not small - my 1/700 air fleets, now THOSE planes are small!

And the GHQ 1/2400 are TEENY-TINY!!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Not a bad find. I like especially the mix of types - it looks somebody was thinking during production

Seen PSC banging them out at shows for a while after releasing their BoB game - probably the bendy ones they mention but even they looked good so these should be even better if stiffer plastic. A project what with painting, stands & cards but may be a cheap alternative. look forward to seeing the end results.

"He is wise who watches"

Dino Litko makes bases with a rear firing arch. They come in two different types. I one is called ALLIED arch and the other DUAL arch.

Great to hear that they are at scale with the planes on the cards. The larger miniatures always made me a bit wary that they make targets easier to reach and contacts more probable. But yeah... after all the whole thing including trajectories is completely off scale... :-)

But how do you calculate the scale of trajectories without factoring in time... just the turning angles?
    Not sure what you are getting at, concerning the scale of trajectories? Are you looking at creating new maneuver cards at 1/300 scale? You will need a gymnasium to play the game.

Please consider the Forum associated Aerodrome Accessories site for stands. They have two-seater stands for Stukas, and Heavy Fighter and Bomber stands, too. Custom stands for the Do.17 and He.111 are already available.

Link: Aerodrome Accessories.com - Unofficial WWII Flight Stands
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-22-2020 at 11:27.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Not sure what you are getting at, concerning the scale of trajectories? Are you looking at creating new maneuver cards at 1/300 scale? You will need a gymnasium to play the game.

Please consider the Forum associated Aerodrome Accessories site for stands. They have two-year stands for Stakes, and Heavy fighter and Bomber stands, too. Custom stands for the Do.17 and He.111 are already available.

Link: Aerodrome Accessories.com - Unofficial WWII Flight Stands
    Precisely why I was commenting I don't really think the trajectories scale matters... or can be calculated fort that matter really... as long as al lanes are on the same proportions it does not affect gameplay and leaves the gymnasium for games in a different ballpark... literally.

Will have a look at those sites, thanks.

I've experimented with 1/285 models on Litko stands for WoG. Works good. I use the altitude dials with a solid peg rather than the stackable pegs, because I like to use the advanced altitude rules.

... The larger miniatures always made me a bit wary that they make targets easier to reach and contacts more probable...
    The size of the mini doesn't have a bearing on targeting or contact as it's all to do with the peg & base size. If you use the same bases & cards with smaller or bigger scale models it will work the same.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The size of the mini doesn't have a bearing on targeting or contact as it's all to do with the peg & base size. If you use the same bases & cards with smaller or bigger scale models it will work the same.
    Ok, I thought it was when the ruler crossed the image of the plane on the card was the rule and this extended to the mini when using them.

Ok, I thought it was when the ruler crossed the image of the plane on the card was the rule and this extended to the mini when using them.
    Shooting measured from peg to base (red dot to card) in most cases Dino, some larger models may measure from points shown on their base though.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Shooting measured from peg to base (red dot to card) in most cases Dino, some larger models may measure from points shown on their base though.
    I stand corrected, I have always made it harder for myself by calculating target distance to the actual plane picture on the card and not the card/base itself. I now see how the miniature size is irrelevant.

Just received them and apart a two or three planes (out of 100) with minor problems they are just perfect for my use!

They are PRECISELY the size of the planes on the cards and the plastic and detail is good, can’t wait to have a go at painting some of them and attaching a gimble magnet.

Struggling to upload pictures from my phone for some reason...

Similar Missions

1. Another new source of resin, 3D printed models
    By miscmini in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-14-2021, 13:04
  2. A Possible New Source of 1:200 scale Aircraft Models.
    By Naharaht in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2020, 05:25
  3. New source of 1:200 WW2 models
    By PilGrim in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2020, 15:26
  4. Fast and Cheap Bases for Skytrex Models
    By jbudz922 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 00:47
  5. Source for F-Toys WW1 models?