Ares Games

Thread: "They're Here"!

Default "They're Here"!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	293632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	293633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide3.jpg 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	293634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide4.jpg 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	293635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide5.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	293636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide6.jpg 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	293637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide7.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	293638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide8.jpg 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	293639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide9.jpg 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	293640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide10.jpg 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	293641

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=hbOslEE6OLQ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide11.jpg 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	293642

October 17, 2020, another lockdown game with my brother Bob (BB401). We agreed to finally try out Triplanes and Tripods and use the Pegasus 144, 1953 George Pal machines. It was a short experiment, and a learning experience we plan to continue (I have two machines and with more time and experience was can extend an invasion scenario), but we also had lunch and beer, so went the day and a good time had by all! Please click on the short video for a little 1953 sound!!!

rep guns jammed! awesome looking mini!

Love It! I love the 1950's saucer martians!!!!!!

Excellent account of the encounter!

Good stuff!
    Not my cup of tea, but it's great to see someone giving it a go, and doing a great job!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

A proper in scale piece that looks great Will

"He is wise who watches"

hats off to you Willi

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Great sounding game, as F.H. said not my cup of tea but it does look interesting and you did a really good job with the report.
    Cheers

I've got the 1/48 war machine from Pegasus, but now I've got to pick up the 1/144 set too!

Did you base yours on an existing T&T tripod, or did you give them their own stats?

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    hats off to you Willi
    Thanks for the Rep! We gave it a try and kept it simple for a start. I think it will play well. Now I have to get a Locust involved also.

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    I've got the 1/48 war machine from Pegasus, but now I've got to pick up the 1/144 set too!

Did you base yours on an existing T&T tripod, or did you give them their own stats?
    With the big heat ray I gave the machines the attributes of the Mk IV. I reproduced the machine bases with some plexiglass that I had and glued the base print to it. We used the Tri and Tri rules pretty much as is. Perhaps the machines could glide over water but I never saw that in the 1953 movie and I figured if the machines were moving by means of some type of anti-gravity force (when you first see the machines you can see a trio of energy "legs" extending from the bottom) that it may be fine forcing the machine up off of solid ground, but water???? So we used the Tri and Tri rules such that the initial travel over water topples the machine until the energy legs can be adapted to the bottom of the pond and then right itself. Lesson for the Martians to avoid water.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    A proper in scale piece that looks great Will
    Dave, I feel rather foolish because my brother requested that I post this (our first trial of the Tri and Tri game and rules). When he went to look for the AAR he could not find it since it was not in the Tri and Tri section of posts - I did not know that there was one!! I never scrolled far enough to know. The COVID lockdown has kept my head down on my work bench. Anyway, now I know. I scanned your General Discussion post and will need to study it with my brother and come up with a set of attributes for my machines. My thinking at this point that my machines are an advance guard and asset to the "Walkers" (my Star Wars speak). For our first, brief game I used the Locust attributes/cards except we did not use Black Smoke and the center heat ray is red and not yellow!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1884.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	293720

In the book, there was a brief mention of flying machines:

The sun sank into grey clouds, the sky flushed and darkened, the evening star trembled into sight. It was deep twilight when the captain cried out and pointed. My brother strained his eyes. Something rushed up into the sky out of the greyness—rushed slantingly upward and very swiftly into the luminous clearness above the clouds in the western sky; something flat and broad, and very large, that swept round in a vast curve, grew smaller, sank slowly, and vanished again into the grey mystery of the night. And as it flew it rained down darkness upon the land.
    and more in the original serialized version of The War of the Worlds:

It has often been asked why the Martians did not fly immediately after their arrival. They certainly did use a flying apparatus for several days, but only for brief flights of a score or so of miles, in order to reconnoitre and spread their black powder... The fact remains that they did not fly fifty miles from London all through the war. Had they done so, then the destruction they would have caused would have been infinitely greater than it was, though it could not have averted the end, of course, even by a day.
    Using the above as a guideline, we could cram the 1953 martians into Tripods & Triplanes alongside the rest, as the "flying" machines mentioned in the original story, and build their stats around how they were presented in the film.

Perhaps they are slower, and less agile in their maneuver options, with energy requirements that are much higher than that of a typical tripod. In the film, the bell jar -esque shield completely surrounds the fighting machine, but going with the energy demands idea, maybe there's a high cost to maintain it? The single center heat ray would be devastating, with a wide arc, but the wingtip rays would be weaker with a limited arc, but maybe they act more like machine guns, game-wise. Staying within their capabilities in the film, I don't think I'd give them the capability to use black smoke.

Anyway, I'm gonna pick up a couple boxes of the 1/144 set shortly. :]

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    When he went to look for the AAR he could not find it since it was not in the Tri and Tri section of posts - I did not know that there was one!! I never scrolled far enough to know. The COVID lockdown has kept my head down on my work bench. Anyway, now I know.

Hmm, can a moderator move the thread over to T&T?

Similar Missions

1. "Curve" or "Turn" or "Sideslip" ?
    By ricky in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2020, 10:21
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 07:12
  3. National Derby 29th: "Where's my wingman?" "Taking pictures Sir"
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 06:33
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39