Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News from the front - Series 5, Duel Packs and Balloon reprints confirmed for 2021!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Thumbs up News from the front - Series 5, Duel Packs and Balloon reprints confirmed for 2021!

Roberto Di Meglio posted in the official WoG Facebook group a few hours ago...

Roberto Di Meglio
    Next in the pipeline for 2021: ww1 reprints of rule pack, duel packs, then drachens. For ww2, SM-79 and Bristol Blenheim.

Exequiel Lopresti
    Roberto: will Duel Packs match the usual foes (Camel vs Fokker Dr1, Albatros DV vs SPAD XIII)? Or will pair a diferent match?

Roberto Di Meglio
    Exequiel Lopresti: the usual ones as it is a reprint, but I plan to issue 1915 Duel Packs with the reprint of the E3, DH2...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Fans...ghts&ref=notif

Last edited by Spino; 10-14-2020 at 18:37.

The third duel pack didn’t exactly sound definitive, but as long as the E.III and Dh.2 are returning in some format next year, I’m reasonably happy.

Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

Name:  takemymoney.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  53.4 KB

That are great News.

After the silence of the last Weeks/month I had a bad feeling that they cancel the whole line finally.

In time for Christmas? One could hope...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    In time for Christmas? One could hope...
    Christmas '21 maybe...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Alas still no Sopwith Pup on the horizon, but few duel packs and balloons will be welcome
    Last edited by David Manley; 10-15-2020 at 04:55.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    The third duel pack didn’t exactly sound definitive, but as long as the E.III and Dh.2 are returning in some format next year, I’m reasonably happy.
    Agreed, but getting a duel pack with Baumer & Luke at a more earthly price than the Ebay insanity will be nice.

I'm peachy with just a reprint of series 5, everything else is icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Christmas '21 maybe...
    Good things come to those who wait. Who knows, maybe they'll stagger the releases?

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Alas still no Sopwith Pup on the horizon, but few deul packs and balloons will be welcome
    I believe Diamondback(?) posted elsewhere in the forum stating that Ares are done making new planes for WGF, it's only reprints from here on out. Hopefully this will change.
    Last edited by Spino; 10-14-2020 at 23:22.

awesome news!!! glad to hear about the 1915 duel pack as well!!! maybe theyll take up my other suggestion and have a fokkerd7 v se5a as well!

We will see.

Hoping the best.

A 4th balloon would be cool, so the duel packs.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Anything at all is great news at this stage!

Personally I have all those covered, so probably won't indulge, unless the DH2s and E.IIIs have pretty colour schemes.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Spino View Post
    Roberto Di Meglio posted in the official WoG Facebook group a few hours ago... News from the front - Series 5, Duel Packs and Balloon reprints confirmed for 2021!
    I don't see the mention of a series 5 reprint, let alone confirmation of it's release, in any of the comments
    ww1 reprints of rule pack - RAP, check.
    duel packs - the usual ones as it is a reprint - check.
    drachens - same Caquot balloons - check
    PLAN to release E.III v DH.2 duel pack - so not a release, a future plan likely after the release of series 5, whenever that is. - check

Unless I missed something... ?

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I probably miss the mention about Caquot balloon type. Can you link it to me, please?

So looking forward to this.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

I don't see the mention of a series 5 reprint, let alone confirmation of it's release, in any of the comments
    ww1 reprints of rule pack - RAP, check.
    duel packs - the usual ones as it is a reprint - check.
    PLAN to release E.III v DH.2 duel pack - so not a release, a future plan likely after the release of series 5, whenever that is. - check

Unless I missed something... ?
    Ye gods man, not in front of the children! Christmas is just around the corner!

Name:  ElfThroneofLies.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  30.1 KB

You make a valid point. It was Roberto's follow-up post that got me excited...

but I plan to issue 1915 Duel Packs with the reprint of the E3, DH2...

My interpretation of the language in Roberto's post is that the 1915 duel packs are 'planned' but the reprints are assured. The former cannot happen without the latter. From what I understand there is one master mold for each series (4 planes to a mold). This is problematic for Ares as they cannot tailor production for high demand planes (e.g. Fokker D.VII) from a given series without spending money on the materials & labor required to produce the low demand planes from the same mold as well (e.g. Sopwith Snipe & Roland C.II). So two different 1915 duel packs make sense IF a series 5 reprint is in the cards.

Balloons will be a red hot item for sure but moreso than a series 5 reprint? I have no idea. Given that Halberstadt D.IIIs are commanding upwards of $100+ on Ebay the absolute dearth of planes from series 5 it makes me wonder which option would be the most lucrative for Ares? Overall revenue might be higher for balloons but would the profit margins be as large?
    Last edited by Spino; 10-15-2020 at 09:24.

I believe Diamondback(?) posted elsewhere in the forum stating that Ares are done making new planes for WGF, it's only reprints from here on out. Hopefully this will change.
    Not an official statement, just an impression based on how far past normal time-between-new-sculpts releases we are combined with comm silence. And one I hope is wrong, there are still some big early and mid-war holes to fill.

To much experience with release dates, right? Don't worry, even 1+1/4 year is good. And we have a plan, that is not bad

...You make a valid point. It was Roberto's follow-up post that got me excited...
    but I plan to issue 1915 Duel Packs with the reprint of the E3, DH2......
    My interpretation of the language in Roberto's post is that the 1915 duel packs are 'planned' but the reprints are assured. The former cannot happen without the latter.
    Over excited I'd say. Yes, it's good news about the duel packs and obviously there has to be a series 5 reprint to get the models for that but to say that it's an official confirmation of a series 5 release in 2021 is way off the mark.
    Lets hope they do but I won't count on it.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    To much experience with release dates, right? Don't worry, even 1+1/4 year is good. And we have a plan, that is not bad
    Dude, you haven't seen release-date cynicism until you've been part of the Sails Kickstarter...

I probably miss the mention about Caquot balloon type. Can you link it to me, please?
    When they spoke about releasing them last year it was confirmed they would be the same type Dan.

"He is wise who watches"

Since I’m new to this wonderful game (less than 10 months), I’m buying whatever Ares releases. At best, I have one copy of some of the things mentioned. And I had to buy it on the secondary market at hyper inflated prices.

Ares... release something and take my money, please?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Over excited I'd say. Yes, it's good news about the duel packs and obviously there has to be a series 5 reprint to get the models for that but to say that it's an official confirmation of a series 5 release in 2021 is way off the mark.
    Lets hope they do but I won't count on it.
    Hoping & waiting with bated breath.

Ok, because I'm a stickler for closure, Roberto was kind enough to respond to a follow-up question posed by yours truly.

Peter Stevenson
    Roberto Di Meglio: Fantastic news, thank you! So will this include a reprint of series 5? I assume a 1915 duel pack would be accompanied by the series reprint since those planes share the same mold.

Roberto Di Meglio
    Peter Stevenson: yes that's the plan.

Admittedly this is not an explicit, 100%, swearing under oath with a gun to his head while clutching crudely etched tablets bearing the word of the divine confirmation... but it's fuel for the faithful, eh?

Cool

Dude, you haven't seen release-date cynicism until you've been part of the Sails Kickstarter...
    Well, I originally wanted to attend, but postage to Europe ruined my passion - it was simply too much to accept.

When they spoke about releasing them last year it was confirmed they would be the same type Dan.
    So I'm nog interested then - I have both. Remember the sale's price around Ł20

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Since I’m new to this wonderful game (less than 10 months), I’m buying whatever Ares releases. At best, I have one copy of some of the things mentioned. And I had to buy it on the secondary market at hyper inflated prices.

Ares... release something and take my money, please?
    I fully understand your troubles. My Brumowski is also from eBay and the price was around 40$ (and I am still happy aboutnit even after those years).

One can say we need more minis more frequent (and it is true), on the other side, it's damn good WoW just transformed in WoG during it's ckinical death in 2011 (thanks Andrea!) they (Ares) are releasing at keast something every year (thanks Roberto!).

Ok, because I'm a stickler for closure, Roberto was kind enough to respond to a follow-up question posed by yours truly.
    Admittedly this is not an explicit, 100%, swearing under oath with a gun to his head while clutching crudely etched tablets bearing the word of the divine confirmation... but it's fuel for the faithful, eh?
    It states the obvious but still doesn't state it's for release in 2021. Maybe that's the question you should have asked.
    Been here too many times before to have faith in comments on timing from Ares. It'll come when it comes and we'll be glad when it does.

"He is wise who watches"

Oberleutnant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andreas
    Sorties Flown

We will See....seems Like 2021 will also be a covid-19 year, so I wouldnt Count in a Release soon.

And how often we heard of plans for a campain book or London Maps.

As Long as there is no official Release announcement I Stick to the Faust quotation:

"Nur, was man schwarz auf weiß besitzt, Kann man getrost nach Hause tragen. "

This is good news. There's been talk of releasing balloons every year for as long as I've been playing. I have a spot for two balloons. Yeah!!!
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 10-16-2020 at 08:25. Reason: spell'in

The way they come out I wonder what calander they are using.

Peter Stevenson
    Roberto Di Meglio: Fantastic news, thank you! So will this include a reprint of series 5? I assume a 1915 duel pack would be accompanied by the series reprint since those planes share the same mold.

Roberto Di Meglio
    Peter Stevenson: yes that's the plan.

“That’s the plan” is one of those Ares-speak things with the unstated but implicit “...if all goes well.” Which it frequently does not. The further out the plans, the more they are subject to change and delay. But...be that as it may, it’s good to know that at least the plans exist and are at least semi-committed to publicly.

Great news! Glad to see a projected release date for Christmas 2021...but in "WingsSpeak" doesn't that translate as late spring of 2024? Just saying, but boy am I hopeful for 2021.

If these do arrive in 2021, it will certainly be good for the game.

i will take whatever i can get, whenever i can get it!!!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

I will defer to the veterans on the forum with regards to their scorecards on Ares' empty & kept promises but it doesn't seem so far fetched that the least one of the more exciting 'plans' will come to fruition in 2021.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with the exception of 2018 and 2020 there have been releases every single year since Ares launched WoG in 2012. 2019 saw the release of reprints for series 1 and 4, seemingly making up for the 'lost year' that was 2018. 2020 was and remains a lost year due to the pandemic. However, it does appear Ares is planning something bigger than usual for 2021. Why should we not expect them to make a good effort to release something in 2021? In the very least a reprint of series 5 seems like a no-brainer.

I understand people's frustrations but Ares must be aware of the risks associated with ignoring their WGF customers for second straight year in a row. The last thing they would want is for a large chunk of their dedicated customer base to redirect their hobby dollars to competing games & manufacturers.

They may not give us the sun, the moon & the stars next year but I'm confident they'll toss us a nice bone or two to gnaw on.

I have no qualms about telling y'all as one of the research team behind it, and even spitballing some engineering ideas for accessories I can't talk about yet, when WGS Guadalcanal drops even though Ares is only gonna do a fraction of what I had suggested for a full Solomons Campaign it's still gonna be some Next Level Stuff.

Personally, I'm hoping that even though it's outside my theater, the combination of Sparviero and Cactus developments will give a springboard for some MTO stuff like Taranto... and then from there Pearl Harbor and maybe Carrier Duels. This is nothing official here, just trying to visualize ways we can sequence one release to build into the next, so don't take my personal musings and wishcasting as anything more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    “That’s the plan” is one of those Ares-speak things with the unstated but implicit “...if all goes well.” Which it frequently does not. The further out the plans, the more they are subject to change and delay. But...be that as it may, it’s good to know that at least the plans exist and are at least semi-committed to publicly.
    Applies to all plans made by everyone, everywhere, for all time. I will admit, I'm one of the seeming bitchers, but really, I have always understood this to be the case with Ares releases. So:
    Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73
    i will take whatever i can get, whenever i can get it!!!!
    is pretty much spot-on.

So, no "campaign and scenarios pack"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol-Pete View Post
    So, no "campaign and scenarios pack"?
    Officially nothing yet; unofficially I've been privately working up some things I'm hoping they'll adopt as part of Guadalcanal that might be one of those previously mentioned "springboards for future development." I'm not the only one on this or even the biggest contributor of work--just the one most talkative, and trying to push the limits of "think outside the box" in pursuit of a bigger and better brand for them and a broader range of game options for us.

There will not be an official announcement until they have some more definite dates.

On the Ares website, the UPCOMING RELEASES page shows February 2021 for WOG reprints :
    WW1 Rules & Accessories Pack
    WW1 Duel Pack
    WW2 Battle of Britain Starter Set

https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

Name:  FDDBC3B9-0C9A-4319-A6E1-EAE9D54AC4FE.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  22.5 KB

Thanks for the Heads up Monse.
    Still no signs of Balloons on the horizon though.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you for that good news, Monse.

Not an official statement, just an impression based on how far past normal time-between-new-sculpts releases we are combined with comm silence. And one I hope is wrong, there are still some big early and mid-war holes to fill.

i also hope its wrong as there are still many important types of aircraft to make!

If Ares do eventually make a Guadalcanal series of models, we might find a jungle playmat useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If Ares do eventually make a Guadalcanal series of models, we might find a jungle playmat useful.
    I shall pass that along, ditto re the CBI and Southeast Asia. We also need some Tropical Beach/Island maps, and I'd really like to see Henderson Field correctly rendered with all its taxiways and shelters and the Lunga Point anchorage in correct ground scale. Ditto Rabaul, and the expanded complexes including satellite fields for both--I doubt Ares would go for this, but my dream scenario is a full campaign map with Rabaul at one end, Henderson the other, and island-hopping from base to base in between.

Deep Cut Studios make a Beach mat, a Forest mat and a sci-fi type Jungle mat in their extensive range but, of course they are not designed to fit together like the Ares ones.

I'd also like to see some more water maps with varying sea conditions from tropical lagoon to Channel chop eventually, given how much "Wings over Water" conflict there was in the PTO.

I'd also like to see some more water maps with varying sea conditions from tropical lagoon to Channel chop eventually, given how much "Wings over Water" conflict there was in the PTO.
    Ares games has just announced a reprint of :
    Sails of Glory sea mat
    Wings of Glory Countryside, City, No man’s land mats.

https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

Name:  390D3799-1213-4A8A-BE14-563C60D20000.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  34.4 KB

That is good news.

I use the No-Mans land map for a region devastated by Tripods.
    Last edited by Naharaht; 11-11-2020 at 19:38.

Yeah! I will be spending some money when all this actual comes out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. About the duel packs
    By dragonwalker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2017, 01:02
  2. Duel Packs available
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2016, 14:48
  3. Right so Ive got both duel packs
    By Trumpet in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 14:08
  4. WGF Duel Packs
    By The Scout in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 19:49
  5. WGF: Series one reprint/repaints confirmed! (new pics inside)
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 492
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 18:32