Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News from the front - Series 5, Duel Packs and Balloon reprints confirmed for 2021!

Good signs from Ares there then. I hope they also get their fingers out over the British Medium Bombers too.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

...and BoB Starter Set! That is important for new players interested in ETO.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

I love it when good news gets better!

The magic timetable...
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    The magic timetable...
    Name:  DavidCopperfield.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  33.8 KB

Lots of hope here! As long as it is a different paint scheme I will buy one, maybe two of each.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Lots of hope here! As long as it is a different paint scheme I will buy one, maybe two of each.
    Balloons are generic, I'd snag even straight reissues.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

That is a good idea, specially since I don't have much of that Series. So correction. I would buy them anyways.

I figure two of each deco is good enough for me... or better yet enough to have pairs for each Balloon Busters decal option.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

I was surprised how less players applied decals on old Caquots. It is a pity, they (decals on balloons) can "turn on the ligth" on a gaming table.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I was surprised how less players applied decals on old Caquots. It is a pity, they (decals on balloons) can "turn on the ligth" on a gaming table.
    I haven't put the decals on my balloons, because I don't have enough to do a barrage (Three balloons minimum) for one side, let alone two. So, without decals, I can use the balloons for either side, as required. I'm not sure all balloons carried roundels. It should have been obvious which side of the trenches the balloon was flying, anyway.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Sadly, there is nothing on the Ares website about new paint schemes for the Duel Packs. it still says they are MvR versus Roy Brown and Baumer versus Luke. That will be good for more recent players because the last 3 paint schemes have not been used for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I haven't put the decals on my balloons, because I don't have enough to do a barrage (Three balloons minimum) for one side, let alone two. So, without decals, I can use the balloons for either side, as required. I'm not sure all balloons carried roundels. It should have been obvious which side of the trenches the balloon was flying, anyway.
    That is an advantage of playing in groups - three balloons (or four) are not a problem. But I understand we are really lucky to have fellow colleagues to play together.

You can never get enough balloons. A couple more and I will be able to start decaling mine for each side and the odd Italian one. What did the Austrians put on their balloons? I assume it would be the Balkenkreuz.

Rob.

I am far from telling anybody what he should do with his balloons, just surprised

And I am also curious how many minis with not applied decals from Squadron Sets I will see on events next year

That is a very moot point Daniel.

We always had a rule at our club that unfinished figures or their bases were not allowed on the gaming tables.
    The Squadron sets should not be a problem though as the same reasons do not apply to them as the Balloons.
    They are mainly for one country of your choice, are much cheaper to provide variants and far more easy to obtain than the Balloons.
    I may be proved wrong, but would tend to deal with the problem if it arises, rather than assume that a problem pre existed.
    rob.

I need to get a balloon before I can even think about putting decals on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That is a very moot point Daniel.

We always had a rule at our club that unfinished figures or their bases were not allowed on the gaming tables.
    The Squadron sets should not be a problem though as the same reasons do not apply to them as the Balloons.
    They are mainly for one country of your choice, are much cheaper to provide variants and far more easy to obtain than the Balloons.
    I may be proved wrong, but would tend to deal with the problem if it arises, rather than assume that a problem pre existed.
    rob.
    I like this rule, Rob. It is motivating and there are definitely players who respect it by their hearth (simply can't imagine Tim playing with unfinished mini!). The very first thing I did after buying Ju.88 and Do.217 was applying decals. I did it the same day because I feel it the same way (and know my laziness) (does anybody says "mañana"?). On the other side, let me count them in Prague, I am pretty sure I will see some. If not, your Saturday drinking bill in Doncaster is on me!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I need to get a balloon before I can even think about putting decals on it.
    I have one spare brown Caquot with a German Cross in white square, if you want.

Yes,
    I would gladly give it a good home!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Alright!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What did the Austrians put on their balloons? I assume it would be the Balkenkreuz.

Rob.
    Personally, I'd go with a "thick" eisnerkreuz.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Sadly, there is nothing on the Ares website about new paint schemes for the Duel Packs. it still says they are MvR versus Roy Brown and Baumer versus Luke. That will be good for more recent players because the last 3 paint schemes have not been used for a while.
    When I brought it up with Rob, IIRC he said this run would be those decoes, but he was open to my suggestion about working up another group of decoes for next batch. (I pointed out that straight reissues a lot of us old hands sit out, but introducing something new into the mix would mean two sales from the newbies plus one from the oldtimers that otherwise would've stayed on the sidelines.)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    When I brought it up with Rob, IIRC he said this run would be those decoes, but he was open to my suggestion about working up another group of decoes for next batch. (I pointed out that straight reissues a lot of us old hands sit out, but introducing something new into the mix would mean two sales from the newbies plus one from the oldtimers that otherwise would've stayed on the sidelines.)
    Thanks for that! I would love to buy something from these new releases, but if there are 1: no new airplane models, and 2: no new paint schemes on the old models, then, sadly, my wallet stays in my pocket.

Will the balloons come with the Nieuports again? Hopefully at least *those* may sport some new paint job. Though the dream would be including a whole new model - such as the Sopwith Pup!

Wonderful little plane the Sopwith Pup was. A lot of us wish for an official Ares Sopwith Pup.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Will the balloons come with the Nieuports again? Hopefully at least *those* may sport some new paint job. Though the dream would be including a whole new model - such as the Sopwith Pup!
    THAT is a question I was unable to get an answer to, but I expect not, even though one of the selling points most in Balloon Busters's favor--and I've mentioned it as such--was a complete solitaire game in one box.

I've had five or six Duel Packs since they were introduced, but only kept one. The others were "prizes" at conventions at which I've hosted games, trying to get newbies started in the hobby. I have rarely seen those people back at follow-on conventions, sadly. I would still consider picking up more Duel Packs, regardless of paint schemes, for the very same reason, if we are ever allowed back in a convention hall, in the future.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    ..Will the balloons come with the Nieuports again? Hopefully at least *those* may sport some new paint job. Though the dream would be including a whole new model - such as the Sopwith Pup!
    I have a recollection that when this came up a couple of years ago - ie immediate future balloon release - Andrea said it was going to be just the balloon not the plane, though he has been wrong before & time hass moved on. Remember that Balloon Busters was a Nexus release & has not been done by Ares before so they may go a different route than their predecessor.
    Ares has already released the N.11 &, more recently, the N.16 with rockets so they have an option but I expect it will be cheaper to produce just the balloon, the rules are in the RAP, and aircraft are (were) available.

"He is wise who watches"

I wonder if they are going to produce the same balloons already released by Nexus. I know some would like a different type(s), I would like them too. But I already have a space for two of the same type. Oh what a dilemma.

It was discussed some time ago and it looks Caquot Balloons will be released again. If it is a good or bad news depends on your perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I wonder if they are going to produce the same balloons already released by Nexus. I know some would like a different type(s), I would like them too. But I already have a space for two of the same type. Oh what a dilemma.
    Well that is interesting since if the balloons are new to Ares, that means they are paying for new molds for them. I guess that is a good sign as that is a bigger investment in WG1 for them than just a reprint. Hopefully they will see more opportunities in tooling up a few new planes or at least new paint schemes for old ones.

It was discussed some time ago and it looks Caquot Balloons will be released again. If it is a good or bad news depends on your perspective
    Awesome, I have a spot for them just waiting.

I can understand the good news / bad news. Many who play are very much into the history and would like the variety. Others are more into the game and if it looks good on the table. As I said above, I'm good either way, but definitely not disappointed that Caquot is the one coming out. Looking forward to seeing a line of these on the table.

In top management diversity just could be an advantage, in WoG it is an advantage

I would like to see a German type balloon, on the other side: Caquots can be easily used as a WWII balloon barage over London

Direct from RdM: "I plan to include rules and scenarios in the box, but you will require at least a duel pack to play fully, as it will not be a stand-alone product."

Direct from RdM: "I plan to include rules and scenarios in the box, but you will require at least a duel pack to play fully, as it will not be a stand-alone product."
    => no damage deck.
    Based on Ares previous releases, and that the RAP includes the D Damage Deck, it wouldn't need to be in the balloon box.
    Mike

That (complete set of damage decks) was a good move from Ares side, but it does not follow that the aircraft will not be included in this/these set/s. But I guess it won't and it will be simple balloon set.

Rob didn't point-blank say so, but my read from his tone is "no plane."

I would be fine with that if the MSRP was reduced and they offered a couple of different paint schemes in the Nieuport 16 plane pack.

Bear in mind that price levels have gone nuts worldwide... twenty years ago when I was in model railroding, a single HO scale passenger coach--not brass but very good plastic, about a foot long--was $30-$50, today a similar coach sells for $90-$100.

I'd suspect these single balloons will probably street at $30-$50 US, but don't hold me to that.

Rob didn't point-blank say so, but my read from his tone is "no plane."
    See my post: I did not mention plane in positive way.

Bear in mind that price levels have gone nuts worldwide... twenty years ago when I was in model railroding, a single HO scale passenger coach--not brass but very good plastic, about a foot long--was $30-$50, today a similar coach sells for $90-$100.

I'd suspect these single balloons will probably street at $30-$50 US, but don't hold me to that.
    That would be nice, if they came in around $30 USD, or even $40. With exchange, that would keep them in the $50 Cdn range, and better than the $70+ Cdn I paid for my two balloons in 2012.
    Mike

See my post: I did not mention plane in positive way.
    Was trying to support your position, not argue with you. It sucks, but it is what it is, and I think Rob's motivation is more to reduce costs than anything--if you have the RAP, all that's left that you need is the balloon mini and its special rules/scenario book and you already have everything else anyway.

Honestly everyone. I am sure we would all be very happy with whatever content is included if they reprint the balloons.

At least, I know I would be.

It would be good if there were removable decals bearing the national emblems. Then they could be changed between different scenarios.

There is a photograph on this webpage showing an Austro-Hungarion observation balloon bearing a black cross. https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/9...irst-world-war

Removable vinyls usually require a smooth surface to adhere to; not sure the visual and technical requirements are mutually compatible there.

The release of the WW1 Duel Packs - WW2 Battle of Britain - Game mats reprints has been delayed from February to March
    https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

Name:  01E35334-4845-49BD-A8A8-D77FF876DDD0.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  46.1 KB

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Hm Sails of Glory.

I'm not surprised at the delay. January has been pretty rough. I'm just glad that it's not pushed back until December or "indefinitely".

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    Hm Sails of Glory.
    Name:  FlyingJollyRoger.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  98.6 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. About the duel packs
    By dragonwalker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2017, 01:02
  2. Duel Packs available
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2016, 14:48
  3. Right so Ive got both duel packs
    By Trumpet in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 14:08
  4. WGF Duel Packs
    By The Scout in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 19:49
  5. WGF: Series one reprint/repaints confirmed! (new pics inside)
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 492
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 18:32