Ares Games

Thread: You thought our hobby was expensive!

Default You thought our hobby was expensive!

Check these out.

https://youtu.be/s8k1W1UakvU

I wonder what storage solutions users have come up with for these.

Thumbs up

Nice toys though Gary!
    Speaking of expensive hobbies/games, I flinch at how much it would cost to buy into Warhammer 40K these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    ... I wonder what storage solutions users have come up with for these.
    I'd have 'em flat packed in no time !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Nice toys though Gary!
    Speaking of expensive hobbies/games, I flinch at how much it would cost to buy into Warhammer 40K these days.
    Warhammer 40K I remember playing that game. You are always buying more and more very expensive miniatures. Price hasn't gotten any better. Just sold all of mine on ebay. My used primer only figures (yes, no time to paint have to play) sold for more than what I payed fore them. Which was quite a bit to begin with. No to use my money to buy more planes!!!

RC is awesome, but wow....the price on some of the stuff.

Even model kits have gotten quite expensive.

Good move Dan.
    I bailed out when I woke up one morning and found my Squats team and their biker support units, which had cost me an arm and a leg, even in those early days, were no longer included in the revised rules.
    I was ever so slightly miffed by that.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Check these out.

https://youtu.be/s8k1W1UakvU

I wonder what storage solutions users have come up with for these.
    Great share. I love remote control airplane videos. Some of those jets are approaching 200 mph these days.

I have some inexpensive electric radio controlled airplanes. They don't deal with any wind above 5mph, so I rarely fly them. I also get horribly confused about the coming and going control switchover. Found myself getting so anxious about it, that I was not actually having fun. They'll go on eBay when I retire... along with my 1/32 scale slot car collection... and my...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Good move Dan.
    I bailed out when I woke up one morning and found my Squats team and their biker support units, which had cost me an arm and a leg, even in those early days, were no longer included in the revised rules.
    I was ever so slightly miffed by that.
    Rob.
    Not quite as bad, but my squad of Mk XIV Bullock Jet Bike equipped Space Marines was taken out by an edition change. Even the background 'historical' material was, for some inexplicable reason, changed in some places that made no sense to me. I suppose if they took out an entire race and all its material, what were tweaks to a few army lists?

A few too many edition changes were too market driven, not really game improvements, IMHO. Also, the change from lead to plastic should have been something that dropped prices across the line, but the cost per model became outrageous (at the time, I was comparing the cost of a model WWII 1/32 scale tank, and all the parts and historical research, and a GW playing piece with a quarter of the parts). Or a box of 10 lead Terminators, with special figures, and interchangeable/reconfigurable parts, that was 'upgraded' with five-figure plastic Terminator squads, with molded heavy weapons integral to their 'function', also should have been much cheaper. The cost/figure more than doubled. The figure quality was amazing, and customizing in plastic was much easier than lead, but the cost was extortion, not hobby friendly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Coy1Sqda.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	293488
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-14-2020 at 08:00.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    They'll go on eBay when I retire... along with my 1/32 scale slot car collection... and my...

As long as I can pull the control trigger I am keeping my 1/32 slot cars. I will be the most proficient 90 year slot car driver out there. If I live that long!

Games Workshop eventually revised their games to be marketing schemes to sell more miniatures. That is why I eventually bailed. You have all these terminators, air raiders, bikes, etc....then BOOM! They are revised out of the game!!!!! Now you have to buy the new revised model!!! It is made out of plastic and costs more!!!

Hence, I said no more.

FASA did the same with Battletech. Eventually all the new material just revolved around the new miniatures they were trying to push for new designs which really stunk compared to some of the earlier designs.

Great link Gary the Dr1 was pretty good, I didn't think he was going to get it off the ground at first but once up there is was superb. He could have used one of the kids in the crowd instead of fitting a dummy pilot though.

Games Workshop, Historical

Oops I must have misread this John.

Games Workshop, Historical.

I read it as Games Workshop, Hysterical.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rob.
    No you read it correctly Rob

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Rob.
    that is what I had in mind, but to be fair I've never even looked at their Warhammer games and figures so I shouldn't really comment but I do shake my head in sorrow when everyone complains about them but carry's on spending money.
    There's obviously much more to it than I am aware of.

Those were very good RC planes. Thank you for sharing the video, Gary.

Thanks for sharing that with us!

my other hobby can get expensive if youve got the resources for it! it could involve 1:1 scale!

Took these at a WW I air show years ago. Just think how many planes you could buy for the price of one of these.

Name:	IMG_1220.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	293492

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	293493

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	293494

Thanks for that share, Bob. They were truly drool worthy.

Nice RC Planes !

I’ve never played these Pokemon cards before, but maybe someday our Wings of War cards will be worth this ?
    https://www.ign.com/articles/rapper-...or-over-220000

Bob, those are some gorgeous planes. Nice pictures!

Similar Missions

1. Expensive but beautiful...
    By Canestri10 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-12-2017, 16:13
  2. Ooh -- That's Gonna Be Expensive....
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-2016, 13:11
  3. Expensive Sunday!
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22