Ares Games

Thread: nungesser spad vii a / b gun

Default nungesser spad vii a / b gun

got my Spad VIIs so I could fly mid 1916 scenarios and the Nugesser because I liked the plane and could RFC them with decals. Were the VIIs generally armed with "B" guns and Nungesser was a lucky bugger to have "A" guns fitted. Not flying them as Nungessers just VIIs, so "A" gun or "B" gun? Was it about this time that the German's were outgunning everybody?

ARES didn't do a Nungesser S.VII but they did his Nieuport 17 as A or B... Is that what you meant ?
    SPAD VII's were armed with one Vickers - apparently the RFC tried mounting a Lewis on it but it degraded the performance so much they abandoned the idea.

"He is wise who watches"

it would really help if my brain operated at times. I meant Nieuport 17s so where spad come from I've no idea. So let's rephrase the question. Nieuport 17s "A" gun or "B" gun

The Wings of War « Hit and Run » booster pack (cards version ) includes 2 cards of Spad VII with A damage.
    English and French pilots :
    - Lieutenant Howard De Havilland du 30 Squadron (Royal Flying Corps)
    - Sous Lieutenant Georges Lachmann du N581 (Aviation Militaire).

Upper machine gun can be seen on left and central planes :

Name:  F00C2AE1-CFAB-432D-8098-43E57C46788A.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  63.7 KB

Picture of Lachmann’s Spad VII on Albin Denis site : http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escad...adrille581.htm

Name:  8C7D0C72-7B41-461B-8BA7-28C8C994B19B.jpeg
Views: 248
Size:  29.0 KB.

On this document Aircam Aviation Serie : Spad VII - Spad XIII : http://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/his...VII-SXIIII.pdf
    A Spad VII built in England (N6210) had a Lewis machine gun on upper wing (text on page 5, left column).
    The profile (page 28) and the picture (page 18) of this Spad VII :

Name:  B0B1F05A-1B27-4B78-A00B-7F3288D9B14E.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  33.7 KB
    Name:  6DFA8742-4F72-4A85-98E3-0A126035AF9E.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  56.9 KB

A special Spad VII with machine guns fixed to wing struts in a french squadron (Spa 48), for a total of 3 MG.
    http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escad...adrille048.htm

Name:  F58CFC2C-CF65-4B00-B398-4306C97794F2.jpeg
Views: 236
Size:  40.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    it would really help if my brain operated at times. I meant Nieuport 17s so where spad come from I've no idea. So let's rephrase the question. Nieuport 17s "A" gun or "B" gun
    Now this can be a tricky question. The Italian Nieuport 17 are "B". The French have a mixture of "A" and "B" it depends on what squadron you want to do.

The French/American "Lafayette" started with 'B', and progressed to 'A'.

RFC started with Lewis gun ('B'), but as Vickers + interrupter gear became available ('B') they specifically ordered all guns and mountings of the Lewis to be deleted from the planes they ordered from the French; so, very few 'A', nearly all 'B'
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

thanks for the information. also just had a look on the interwebby thing. all confirm what I thought "B" deck it is

Not sure where this fits into the conversation, but someone with the appropriate reference material will sort me out.

This is supposed to be Eddie Richenbacker in a SPAD XIII:
    Name:  SPAD_XIII_TwinGun_eddierickenbacker.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  117.5 KB

Note the unusual configuration of the two MGs. Most drawings I have of SPAD XIIIs have the guns over the top of the engine in a symetrical configuration. Was this a trial of a new twin mounting? Or the implementation of the 11mm incendiary MG?

Anyone?

PS: Sorted.

Not a SPAD XIII, but a Nieuport 28:
    Name:  Eddie_Rickenbacker_Nieuport_28.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  38.6 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-12-2020 at 15:24.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    The Wings of War « Hit and Run » booster pack (cards version ) includes 2 cards of Spad VII with A damage.
    English and French pilots :
    - Lieutenant Howard De Havilland du 30 Squadron (Royal Flying Corps)
    - Sous Lieutenant Georges Lachmann du N581 (Aviation Militaire).

Upper machine gun can be seen on left and central planes :

Name:  F00C2AE1-CFAB-432D-8098-43E57C46788A.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  63.7 KB

Picture of Lachmann’s Spad VII on Albin Denis site : http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escad...adrille581.htm

Name:  8C7D0C72-7B41-461B-8BA7-28C8C994B19B.jpeg
Views: 248
Size:  29.0 KB

Yes after Verdun, Lachmann 8 victories fought also on the Russian front 1917 with his Spad VII he will serve with the white armies supported by the British from the port of Arkhangelsk, at the mouth of the Drina River, until September 1918 .and with Spad XIII in Czechoslovakia 1919

Name:  3_-_SPAD_VII_noInc_Esc_581_Lachmann.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  27.6 KB

Edit :
    I use this card A+B Spad VII a lot
    Last edited by Spad VII; 10-13-2020 at 07:42.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    ....This is supposed to be Eddie Richenbacker in a SPAD XIII...PS: Sorted. Not a SPAD XIII, but a Nieuport 28...
    Didn't realise the SPAD/Nieuport thing is catching !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    This is supposed to be Eddie Richenbacker in a SPAD XIII
    In this short footage (27 to 42 seconds), Rickenbacker manipulates both machine guns of his Nieuport 28.
    https://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...ine-of-a-plane

Note that the comment is wrong on Critical Past website :
    Brief shot of Eddie Rickenbacker in his Spad XIII (while it is a Nieuport 28)

Name:  27AFF64F-5651-4DE0-BCB1-EC0D3E405191.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  51.1 KB
    Last edited by monse; 10-13-2020 at 03:54.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression the Nieuport 28 originally came with one gun, then they added the second in the field. Hence, the odd mounting job.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I was under the impression the Nieuport 28 originally came with one gun, then they added the second in the field. Hence, the odd mounting job.
    In order to provide a more streamlined profile, the fuselage was longer and slimmer, so narrow that its twin Vickers machine guns were offset to port, one between the cabane struts and one just outboard of them.

The factory delivered the Nieuport 28s to the Americans in mid-February 1918 without armament.
    At the time, the AEF had no spare Vickers machine guns to supply to the squadrons, so that the first flights were unarmed training flights for pilots to familiarize themselves with the handling and performance of the new type.
    When deliveries of Vickers guns to the American squadrons finally started in mid-March, and until sufficient guns had been received for all of the fighters to be fully equipped, some aircraft were flown on patrol with only one machine gun fitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nieuport_28

...When deliveries of Vickers guns to the American squadrons finally started in mid-March, and until sufficient guns had been received for all of the fighters to be fully equipped, some aircraft were flown on patrol with only one machine gun fitted..
    That would give a good option for a scenario in the early days of USAS flying.

"He is wise who watches"

In order to provide a more streamlined profile, the fuselage was longer and slimmer, so narrow that its twin Vickers machine guns were offset to port, one between the cabane struts and one just outboard of them.

The factory delivered the Nieuport 28s to the Americans in mid-February 1918 without armament.
    At the time, the AEF had no spare Vickers machine guns to supply to the squadrons, so that the first flights were unarmed training flights for pilots to familiarize themselves with the handling and performance of the new type.
    When deliveries of Vickers guns to the American squadrons finally started in mid-March, and until sufficient guns had been received for all of the fighters to be fully equipped, some aircraft were flown on patrol with only one machine gun fitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nieuport_28
    Thank you monse for this nice document threre is three different planes in the video first Salmson 2A2 , Nieuport 28 and Breguet 14 !

Name:  Capture d'écran 2020-10-13 18.51.24.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  Capture d'écran 2020-10-13 18.52.05.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  Capture d'écran 2020-10-13 18.53.02.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  42.8 KB

Monse, thanks for the good info.

Similar Missions

1. Nungesser from over the Ocean or All Over in a Trice!
    By mikeemagnus in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-23-2016, 08:27
  2. WGF nungesser neu 17 for trade
    By Grey Knight in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 16:00
  3. Nungesser's Nieuport 17
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 22:43
  4. Nungesser Nieuport 17 miniature, NIB