Ares Games

Thread: attention all Zeppelin Droolers

Default attention all Zeppelin Droolers

Stirring the pot .... there has been a few posts lately about Airships. These things look magnificent and fire our imagination, but in game terms I am thinking they will always come second to an Ares Zeppelin Staaken. Airships are too big, too slow, hard to out climb, and I do not think there is any way to simulate a burning exploding Zepp on a gaming table.

What do you think?

Having played both quite a bit I will admit there is a strong element of inevitable disaster, your end is near. If you are the airship you are flying a time bomb, it's a race to your demise. If you are the Staaken it is your attacker who is about to cash in. Both bring an electric and exotic tension into the game . . .

I have played in a few games with Zeppelins and had a good time. Mike jr74 has run a few and we all had a good time. Never went up against a Staaken but I think that would be a chlange to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter
    I do not think there is any way to simulate a burning exploding Zepp on a gaming table.

What do you think?
    You could always try setting the Zepp player's hair on fire.

Don't you have to buy a bigger table if you use a Zeppelin airship?
    We played using a paper outline of the airship and there wasn't a lot of room left for aircraft to manoeuvre around.

Dave [Clipper1801] did a battle damaged Zeppelin a few years ago. I don't remember how that turned out.

I was thinking of inserting some magnets into my Zepp, and overpainting them. Then, when the sections of gas bags are ignited, attaching flickering flame markers. There are a few How-Tos on making the flame thingies, and it might take wiring up a Zeppelin in advance to get it to look really good. But, for now, I just go with the monster on the table, and occassionally rest flame markers on the top.

I don't have a Zeppelin-Staaken, and don't plan to buy either of the Giants. I don't get my two-seaters out of their boxes often enough to justify buying the giants.

At conventions (if we ever get back to that), the Zeppelins always draw a crowd. Sort of like a 1/200 scale WWII Aircraft Carrier does. That is another huge target waiting to burn...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I was thinking of inserting some magnets into my Zepp, and overpainting them. Then, when the sections of gas bags are ignited, attaching flickering flame markers. There are a few How-Tos on making the flame thingies, and it might take wiring up a Zeppelin in advance to get it to look really good. But, for now, I just go with the monster on the table, and occassionally rest flame markers on the top.
    Now that is an amazing idea.

The elves suggest cool flames and damage can be painted/printed to card stock or heavy paper and attached to the hull using repositionable glue stick adhesive - think Post-It notes of war . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The elves suggest cool flames and damage can be painted/printed to card stock or heavy paper and attached to the hull using repositionable glue stick adhesive - think Post-It notes of war . . .
    Well, seeing as Wayne is the Zeppelin owner in our little group i am hoping he is reading this thread.

Unfortunately he is away from home base for a couple of weeks and will not be playing with the rest of us till November. Always something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Well, seeing as Wayne is the Zeppelin owner in our little group i am hoping he is reading this thread.

Unfortunately he is away from home base for a couple of weeks and will not be playing with the rest of us till November. Always something to look forward to.
    Watching you!

How about using decal stickers of flames?

Like Mike's magnet idea - a lo-tech version might be to mount magnets in Herr Oberst's flame markers, through the peg hole, then attach to a magnet inserted into the side of the gasbag.

"He is wise who watches"

I'm thinking that Zepps on fire generally went down in a few minutes. I would treat mine in the same way as the Blimps. a large set of plastic flamed lapping around the Zepp and fixed to the support rods.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Attention All Zeppelin owners!
    By clipper1801 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-06-2020, 09:42
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-14-2018, 19:17
  3. WGF 2-D Zeppelin 'how-to' or 'How to cook a Zeppelin for minimal outlay'
    By Biggles downunder in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 23:56
  4. Attention Ames Ace.