Ares Games

Thread: Recent Shapeways Order - Smooth

Default Recent Shapeways Order - Smooth

Has anyone else received an order from Shapeways recently?

I received an order today, and was pleasantly surprised (nay, SHOCKED) at the finish of the planes......

WSF (under the new name) - Smooth (or, at least, much more smooth than any previous orders)!

Many folks have noticed a gradual improvement in quality over time, myself among them. My oldest Shapeways models have slab wings, chunky thick struts and fuselages made of large grit sandpaper.
    Not so these more recent ones.
    Clipper, for one, was very impressed by the wing aerofoil shape a month or so ago.

The huge box I received a few weeks ago contained many planes with very thin struts, curved aerofoil wings and a greatly improved reduction in the "graininess" of the surfaces, but the box I received today contains minis with a big improvement even over that standard.

Some of the wings are almost paper thin, supported on really slender struts, and the surface...well some of the surfaces are very smooth to the touch.
    In particular, the Albatros lower wing undersides are the smoothest they have ever been, and I don't anticipate a need to prepare them before priming. The fuselages are also the best I have ever received.

The Caudron G.3 models have very thin struts, and beautiful thin wings in aerofoil shape. I wish I had ordered more.

Don't get me wrong - they still feel a bit like a cat's tongue! But WAYYY better than before.
    Not as smooth as FUD, but really pleasing just the same.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Will see, I have a large order about to be shipped. I have seen a vast improvement as well, I attribute it to the designers . . .

I received an order a couple of weeks ago and agree, the quality had risen up a notch or two.

Cool, that is nice to know!!!!

The Caudron G3 is one of my most recent - we always like to make slight improvements over previous models, I worked hard to get those aerofoils looking right

I had a bit of trouble with getting that one printed with the PA12 but fingers crossed it's working now.

Nice to hear shapeways are getting improving too - I'll have to order a few of my own soon!

Glad to hear of it, a lot of companies do great initial work to get a rep, and then go to pot 'cause they figure they can still make money on their rep. I might want to look into re-ordering stuff just to compare.

Similar Missions

1. Shapeways Order #5 now assembling
    By Zoe Brain in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 00:58
  2. Another Shapeways Order?
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 20:52
  3. Last Call for Shapeways Order
    Replies: 15