just a story

I'd totally forgotten about David Rimmington, last seen heading Westwards for no apparent reason. This is what happened, read on:

With his rudder jammed Rimmington headed East. With half a tank of fuel he could fly for miles, deeper into enemy territory.

"Rimmington old boy, this is not good and is steadily getting worse"

He flew on, suddenly realising that if he saw a likely landing spot he could turn the engine off and glide in, saving miles.

"There's a good spot" as he saw a meadow between the trees.

He turned the engine off and put the nose down as a hail of bullets burst through the space he had occupied a split second earlier, followed by a green and blue Albatros streaking overhead. Luckily the Albatros flew on and didn't come back for a second go.

The shaken Rimmington landed rather heavily, the undercarriage creaked but held and rolled towards the woods. He jumped out and leant heavily against the SE.5.

"That's the easy part" he thought "Now how do I get home and more importantly which way is home? Think quickly because that Hun is going to report the incident and then the place will be swarming with search parties looking for you know who"

He was just about to begin his journey when he remembered "Destroy The Plane" Two bullets into the fuel tank and the SE.5 turned into a mass of flames, with plumes of thick, black smoke heading skywards.

"Well, that's indicated my position to the neighbours. Better get away sharpish"

He found a small lane heading Westwards and started his weary trudge back to the airfield. He couldn't have gone more than a mile or two when the sound of a lorry had him diving over a hedge, just in time, as the German lorry, loaded with soldiers, rushed towards where he had been standing, before it continued towards the wreckage of his plane.

"Well the hunt is on. Run rabbit, run"

As the sun sank into the West, accompanied by the rumble of guns, he was facing a dilema. Travel by night reduces the risk of being spotted but you can't see where you're going or travel by day. It's faster but you run a greater risk of being apprehended. The adrenaline that had kept him going for about fifteen miles, stopped pumping, so exhausted, he crept into the bushes around the base of an old, oak tree.

The sound of the guns woke him with a start. The sun was well up in the sky, he was cold, damp and hungry and things were unlikely to improve in the near future.

"Monsieur Pilote, Monsieur Pilote, je suis un ami, friend.

Rimmington peeked out from his hiding place. A lone figure was standing about twenty yards away with a concerned look on his face. Rimmington scanned past the middle aged man for signof the enemy. No one else seemed to be around.

"Yes" damn what was the word, oh yes "Oui"

The man turned around, startled and spoke quickly to Rimmington (who could only understand about one word in ten) The man slowed down and in faltering English

"Come, quickly, hide you, many Germans.

Rimmington understood and hurried after the man. Rushing through the forest they finally arrived at a cottage, where he was pulled inside. After two days hidden in the loft (at least it was dry and he fed me) Rimmington was led towards the Front where they met up with the prearranged British patrol that had been sent to retrieve him. After more hiding for a couple of hours, in the darkness just before dawn, they sneaked back over to the British side of the lines.

"And that's how yours truly is back where he belongs. My round chaps"

Butcher's Bill

Crash and Wounds: Rolled 10 -1 (dodgy landing and had to subtract something for damage) = 9 All's Well that Ends Well.

Escape and Evasion: Rolled 7 BEL -1 Flames (destroying the plane and attention) -1 =5 In hiding Skip 1d2 Rolled 5 miss 2 missions