Ares Games

Thread: Organizing your collections?

Default Organizing your collections?

Starting to think about ordering more Aerodrome Accessories trays, and thought I'd see what the most experienced of us did to organize their collections. Right now I have Nexus WW1 Series 1-3 in Keith's trays, everything else in original boxes, and I'm trying to both reduce cubic-inch volume and keep things logical.

The collector in me says to go by series, while my historian half says "group by date and theater of service" and the small gamer part says "pair by game balance." What do you guys usually do, and do we have any kind of list updated to the latest releases for WGF and WGS about which specific decoes represent what theaters and times? I know Lott's checkertail P-40 is North Africa/MTO mid-war, simply because one of my profs was among the 318th's commanders and he'd put a boot so far up my arse I'd crap my shoulder blades if I missed THAT one...

EDIT for clarity, I'm asking about "Software" not "Hardware," not so much WHAT you use as HOW you group your planes in your solution of choice.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-26-2020 at 16:10.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I store my three collections in different ways.

1) BNIB Collection - one of each "Nexus" and "Ares" minis, still in sealed boxes and stored by Series in "Really Useful" stackable hard plastic boxes.

2) Game-play Collection - stored in "KR Multicase" foam trays, ready for 'pluck and play'. "KR" card boxes, each holding 8 foam trays, sorted and marked up with contents by Nation first, War period second, Jasta / Squadron third, plane type fourth. "KR" steel cases are gradually replacing card boxes for the most commonly-used trays (before COVID). Empty Card cases can be quickly loaded with filled foam trays selected from the main stash (so for a 1918 game meet I can load one case with any 8 1918 German trays, and another with any 8 British, for example) so I don't need to transport the entire multi-hundred plane collection (unless I really want to! )

3) "Spares" Collection - planes for repainting, for supply to needy Forum members, for long-term hold-then-sell "investment", plus ebay bargains which I couldn't resist despite their being surplus to requirements.............
    Stored in original boxes (if they still have them) or "Figures In Comfort" foam trays and carry bags if they don't. Stored primarily by Series, then by plane type. Original box planes are held in large "Really Useful" boxes for ease of locating and access.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

To be honest, Tim, I'm asking more about Process than Products--I'm considerably more modest in scale, just one of everything except 2-3 of each Squadron Pack and more to follow as budget and availability allow. Right now most of it's in catering boxes the size of a ream of copy paper, but a small portion of my collection (the recent releases) is separated from the main body and I'd like to get things consolidated into one site rather than split between house and storage unit.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

In that case I'd recommend some sort of transport bag, containing one make of foam trays.

If the collection is larger than one bag, I'd divide by date - one early bag, one late bag. If the two bags are of a small enough size to be transported together, then the collection can be considered to remain a single whole.

I think a one-of-everything set is a little big for two bags... on a pure "use all available slots" load without regard to time, theater or balance and solely dividing as Entente/CP, according to my Excel spreadsheet WGF alone adds up to a whopping 42 trays for miniatures alone, not including damage decks, rulers, tokens etc. More if I add "future redeco" room or split by time or theater.

WGS, I haven't even started trying to work the math...

OK, I'm out.............

Someone else care to have a go?

Still a LOT of food-for-thought in your posts, Tim, which I'm slowly digesting.

While I have a few transport bags, purchased from AA a long time ago, I've become fond of the clear totes from Staples or Office Max.
    Most of mine are the Irus 46qt, which I can't find anymore, but they have a 56qt that would work. The 46 qt holds 16 trays; at a guess the 56qt would hold 18 trays.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I have a lot of things in Game Plus foam and bags which I like for transport and keeps cards with planes. But I think @teaticket solution is more compact and overall a nice way to store so I just got a few of these photo boxes. Ordered some inexpensive felt with adhesive backing and just going to cut some cardboard boxes for the cross pieces:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...p?albumid=3325

Carry most of mine in a Figures in Comfort bag, has 8 foam trays with between 8 and 10 planes in each. Rest are in Really useful ‘under the bed’ boxes, works for me.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Tim did forget to mention the small haulage company he bought to transport his armada...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Tim did forget to mention the small haulage company he bought to transport his armada...
    I thought he employed Sherpas!

So, without an East/West breakdown and sorting by year, here's what I'm thinking as a roadmap for now, pending future releases. (This allows no reprint room, I'll need to reshuffle if any drop.) Blue trays for Entente, red for CP, yellow for neutrals/switch hitters like balloons.

Scout Trays 2-Seater Trays Special Trays
    1914-16
    14 trays
    Regular
    • Blue #1 3ea M-S N/Ni. 11
    • Blue #2 4x Ni. 16
    • Blue #3 5x Ni. 17/21/23
    • Blue #4 3ea SPAD VII/Sop Tripe

Large
    • Red #1 3ea Fok. E.III/Halb. D.III
    • Red #2 3x Alb D.II
    Regular
    • Red #1 5x Rol. C.II

Large
    • Blue #1 3x Strutter/1x RE8
    • Blue #2 5x RE8
    • Red #1 3x Alb C.III
    2x Blue Caproni (4 planes)
    2x Yellow Caquot (2 balloons)
    20 trays
    Regular
    • Blue #1 6x SPAD XIII
    • Blue #2 2x SPAD XIII, 3x Han. HD1
    • Blue #3 6x Camel
    • Red #1 6x Fok. Dr.I
    • Red #2 2x Fok. Dr.I, 1x Camel

Large
    • Blue #1 5x SE5a
    • Red #1 6x Alb. D.III
    • Red #2 5x Pfalz D.III, 1x Alb D.V
    • Red #3 6x Alb. D.V
    • Red #4 3x Avia. D.I
    Regular
    • Blue #1 6x DH4
    • Red #1 3ea Pho. D.I/Halb CL.II

Large
    • Blue #1 3x F2B, 1x Br.14
    • Blue #2 5x Br.14
    • Blue #3 2x Macchi
    • Red #1 5x Rum C.IV
    • Red #2 1x Rum C.IV, 1x Macchi
    1x Red Gotha (2 planes)
    2x Red Staaken (2 planes)
    8 trays
    Regular
    • Blue #1 3x Ni 28
    • Blue #2 5x Snipe
    • Red #1 3x SSW D.III, 3x Fok. E.V

Large
    • Red #1 5x Fok D.VII
    Regular
    • Red #1 6x UFAG

Large
    • Red #1 3x Hann CL.IIIa
    2x Blue O/400 (2 planes)

Any suggestions about refining this?
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-28-2020 at 02:54.

You'll need to stretch your timescales for the Albatros D.III - 1917, not 1916.

They probably need to stay where they are tray-wise.

Similar Missions

1. Mission collections
    By Kubajs in forum Past Prague Summer Cons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2017, 11:34
  2. Themed Collections
    By Zoe Brain in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 11:45
  3. The Circle Is Now Complete (or my Wow Collections at least)!
    By Dwarflord22 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 14:49