Ares Games

Thread: How to get started on real tight budget

Default How to get started on real tight budget

Hey, most of us have been affected by this horrible thing we all call covid, and many of us face monetary issues. I was just wondering, for those of us interested in joining this wonderful hobby but are on a tight budget, what are the cheapest ways to get into it? I was wondering if just using the pdf rulebook available on the ares site, and grabbing 2x seperate planes and printing any tokens needed would be enough? Idk what cards or bits I would be missing out if I did that....

Sorry if this has been answered I couldn't find it. Not adverse to getting the big rules pack, but wondering if learning to play without that box is a possibility and if the plane packs include everything needed for each plane like damage decks, maneuvre decks and shooting decks etc.

The cheapest way, I suspect is the Wings of War card game sets. It is the best for storage, as well.

When I started in 2012, Nexus was not producing anything Wings of War, and Ares had yet to start production on Wings of Glory. So, I snapped up anything I found in small hobby shops around the country (worked in the Canadian Military, and was travelling all over the western provinces on a monthly basis at the time). Even then, getting plane minis was hard. I started making paper planes, thinking I was saving so much money. I still have those paper planes, and plans to make more.

Cost-wise, the paper planes were about a dollar each per plane (four planes printed at Staples on photo paper), and then buying scissors, an X-acto knife, cutting board, glue, fine-tip markers, a desk magnifying glass (cause my eyesight wasn't what it used to be), etc... was still wwwaaayyyyy cheaper than planes on eVilBay, at that time. Effort-wise, the planes were worth about $300, based on time to put together at my rate of pay back then.

There are 144th scale planes that could be built and painted, that might be cheaper than current offerings on eVilBay, etc... This would depend on your skill level and dedication. They might be cheaper in cost than second-market planes. They might be less difficult than paper.

It depends on what you want to do. Lucky you, there is an Awesome group of English players to help you out on your island. When I started, there was nobody on Vancouver Island that I could find within two hours drive playing Wings of War/Glory, let alone building/painting any planes.

Fantasy Flight Games.com - Wings of War Rules

I have no idea if this is a legit website or viable retailer, but:

www.planetongames.com - Wings of War: Famous Aces (English)
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

the cheapest route to dip your toy in the game all in one box are the duel packs. they have everything you need for 2 people to play and, in a pinch, can handle 4 players if youve gotten a couple more A damage deck planes. ive heard of people even covering B damage deck aircraft by halving damage taken from an A deck.

ill warn you though, it is addicting. i got into the game on 2013 at a large gaming convention by reading the game description with the magical words "and minis will be awarded free after game play". because, like any good drug, the 1st dose is free lol. its been a happy ride ever since!

Phillip is correct, if you are going the minis route. Finding Duel Packs could be interesting. They are in high demand, and out of print (they could be reproduced sometime in the future).

Point to note: 'Famous Aces' was the very first release of the game, and the maneuver decks didn't include climb and dive cards for the altitude rules. Altitude was bolted on later, and after the release of 'Watch Your Back' (with two-seater planes), the next release, 'Burning Drachens' (balloon rules and rockets), included the climb and dive cards for all the maneuver decks in the previous two boxed sets. The price for the 'Famous Aces' box is a steal, from the above site, as the eVilBay aftermarket prices I saw this morning were above $300.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-25-2020 at 13:41.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Also, look in the Marketplace here. Maybe post a "Newb Looking For Starting Help" thread and see if anyone there will hook you up.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Cheapest way to get EVERYTHING for basic game play is the RAP (Rules and Accessories Pack) plus individual planes of choice (ensures no "unwanted" bits).

As others have said, a 95% similar facsimile can be built up around the "Famous Aces" Nexus starter in combination with "Watch Your Back" and "Burning Drachens". These are sometimes available for decent prices, as are the old 4-plane Deluxe Set and Revised Deluxe set, which are each a good stand-alone starter.
    All are available, just a PM away...........
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 09-25-2020 at 16:47.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

You may find this document, which I have written, useful, Oliver.

Resources for new players v3.0.pdf

Holy hell this is awesome!!! All I do need is just some planes now then to get started!!!!

When I first started there was nothing available so I downloaded paper planes from juniorgeneral.org

I made bases by cutting up old place mats and using bolts and putting drinking straws over them. I downloaded some PDF generic scout and 2 seater plane cards from the files section.

I then managed to buy a couple of boxed sets (watch your back and famous aces) that had rules, cockpits, rulers, movement and damage cards in them. My next step was to buy a heap of prepainted balsa planes which I still have.

After a while more planes came onto the market so over the years I have got nearly one of each plane released. The journey has been a long one but lots of fun. Enjoy yours, have patience, and keep an eye on EBay and Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    When I first started there was nothing available so I downloaded paper planes from juniorgeneral.org . . .
    Wow! Do I remember those planes! They are great ways to play!

Similar Missions

1. POLL TIME! Budget Allocation... (Anchorage crosspost)
    By Diamondback in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-04-2018, 20:36
  2. Just getting started :)
    By Cdn-flyer in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-05-2017, 01:51
  3. Budget cuts can be a bitch!
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 08:46
  4. Building Bomber Bases on a Budget