Ares Games

Thread: Hey, New Player :)

Default Hey, New Player :)

Hey, new here Based just a few mins away from Stow Maries ww1 aerodrome (literally its on my road). Just hoping some lovely folks can entertain my questions for a moment. I've wanted to get into this game ever since I saw the baeumer albatros flying at stow maries just down my road, and watching in awe from the fence as it drew in only a few meters away. I play blood red skies already so I'm mainly looking at the ww1 variant and also saw it has a single player supported version, perfect for lockdown! I'm right on cash front due to covid but was wondering if grabbing one of the duel packs will give me a good introduction to the game? I was also wondering do the planes actually all feel different to fly or is it just four types depending on manoeuvre decks? I saw that people are using 3d printers and shapeways, as a 3d printer myself what do you use it for seeing it seems bases need to bee transparent and you need flight decks for all these aircraft? Also do the named aces actually play any differently or get extra rules? And finally where can I grab the models in the UK? Huge thanks in advance!

Firstly let me welcome you to The Drome Oliver.
    I am sure that a lot of the chaps will be along shortly to address your questions, but meantime have a browse around the site because a lot of your questions have been addressed already. There are still a few of the old Nexus Wings of War card packs aeround but these are few and far between. Most of us now use an official pack and duplicate it for our own use when flying unofficial aircraft.
    Fly safe.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi Oliver, welcome to the forum from Laindon. I'm not too far from Stowe myself.

Quote Originally Posted by flail3 View Post
    I play blood red skies already
    Not to worry, nobody's perfect.

I'm right on cash front due to covid but was wondering if grabbing one of the duel packs will give me a good introduction to the game? I was also wondering do the planes actually all feel different to fly or is it just four types depending on manoeuvre decks?
    The duel packs contain a set of mini rules which will get you started. The more advanced rules come with the rules and accessories set, which will set you back about £27. The manoeuvre decks take account of the specific flying attributes of a particular plane - Immelmann if it can do that, fast turns for more powerful rotary engines, different length straights/turns depending on the plane's speed etc. If you buy individual planes the relevant manoeuvre deck comes with.

I saw that people are using 3d printers and shapeways, as a 3d printer myself what do you use it for seeing it seems bases need to bee transparent and you need flight decks for all these aircraft?
    Shapeways has a huge variety of WW1 aircraft available, some produced by forum members. Some more able people than me produce their own accessories and planes on their own printer, and I'm sure they will be happy to tell you what they use them for. As for bases, Aerodrome Accessories (see link at top of page) produces acrylic bases which are very good and reasonably cheap so long as Border Farce and Royal Fail don't take an interest in the parcel on the way into the country.

Also do the named aces actually play any differently or get extra rules?
    Ace cards are included in some of the later plane packs which give them certain advantages, such as 'sniper or 'bullet checker'.

And finally where can I grab the models in the UK?
    Entoyment seems to be the go-to place for Wings of Glory, although any retailer has difficulty keeping good stocks of the stuff as Ares have quite short production runs of the planes. They do however do re-prints - eventually. You might try Ebay although people,e ask - and get - silly money for some of the rare examples. Its worth asking on the forum if there is anything specific you are after, you never know.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thankls for the fantastic replies! Always nice knowing we have some local players too! Is Max Immelman a playable ace then? I only ask on that front as my father in law is an Immelman XD

Currently trying to track down any of the duel sets in the UK. Nobody seems to have stock

Currently trying to track down any of the duel sets in the UK. Nobody seems to have stock
    Welcome Oliver!

The Duel Packs are a bit hard to come by these days. I'd recommend going with the WWI Wings of Glory - Rules and Accessories Pack (WGF002A) around $25 US. Entoyment gets some really good reviews from members on your side of the pond. Then add a few individual planes to get started. A Sopwith Camel matches up well with an Albatros D.V. Both are readily available. Get a pair of each and that will give you a great start!

I only started the game this year, myself. That's how I went about it. Fair warning - you'll soon find yourself acquiring "just one more plane". The collecting and customizing are really fun parts of this game/hobby. Wait til you see what the really talented folks here can do!

Hi Oliver

Welcome to the world of Wings of Glory. I started a couple of years ago to build up a collection. I have used a number of different stores to get models. Zatu Games have been very good and I have also used Leisure Games in Finchley which is near me and also Entoyment and Gamequest. Plus of course E(vil) Bay!One thing I have noticed on some websites is not all the models they have seem to come up if you put in a generic search like "Wings of Glory". Not sure why but a tip is if you are looking for specidic models is to search for say "Sopwith" or "Pfalz" instead.

Good luck.

Ian

I will deffo take a look for the rules set, just wanted an immediate basic plug and play haha very briefly, if i didnt want to get or couldnt get a duel pack. ive noticed ares have a free rulebook.

Would simply getting two era correct planes and using the rulebook available pdf enough or do you need a duel pack or rulebook set? I could likely print any tokens needed on my 3d printer?
    Last edited by flail3; 09-25-2020 at 08:37.

The Boys in Blighty look to be getting you sorted, but welcome from Portland, Oregon, Oliver.

I will deffo take a look for the rules set, just wanted an immediate basic plug and play haha very briefly, if i didnt want to get or couldnt get a duel pack. ive noticed ares have a free rulebook.

Would simply getting two era correct planes and using the rulebook available pdf enough or do you need a duel pack or rulebook set? I could likely print any tokens needed on my 3d printer?
    The pdf rules and a couple of models will be enough on their own, but remember that you need to get hold of a couple of range measuring sticks (might be in the download section but haven't looked) and possibly a couple of the card "cockpits", although the latter is not absolutely necessary. If you can afford it go with the rules and accessories pack as Von Scharf suggested, this will give you both of these, plus a set of the counters that go with the game. You also have plane cards in the set that you can use in lieu of models until you can pick up one or two (or three, or four....)

welcome to the drome Oliversounds like youre well along the way to minis addiction lol. its not a problem. i can stop any time i want to lol...........
    oh, and blood red skies minis are easily converted to wings of glory ww2. just sayin

Hi there Oliver, great to see you getting stuck in. There might be a few dual packs floating around, I will put some feelers out.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hello Oliver.

Welcome to the Show. Couple of dual packs going on Ebay even as I type this. Good hunting in your search. How is the restoration of Stowe Maries going? Been a couple of years since I was last down there.

Oliver, sorry to nick yer thread- Hey Steve (Guntruck) where in Laindon? Used to live in Langdon Hills and New Century Road, opposite the shopping centre.

Hi Oliver, welcome to the 'Drome!

If you have any specific requirements, drop me a PM - as unofficial UK Quartermaster, I can usually help out with an item or two.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Oliver, from here near Norwich. Another source of models not mentioned above is GamesLore www.GamesLore.co.uk

You may also find this document, which I have written, useful.

Resources for new players v3.0.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Welcome to the Aerodrome, Oliver, from here near Norwich. Another source of models not mentioned above is GamesLore www.GamesLore.co.uk

You may also find this document, which I have written, useful.

Resources for new players v3.0.pdf

Holy hell this is just what I was looking for!!!! Going to buy some planes tomorrow and 3d print the templates!!!!

Thumbs up

G'day Oliver & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.
    You might like to take a look at the Solo campaign we have running down in the WW1 section. Check out Over the Front & it will give you some ideas of various scenarios to play solo.
    Dave's D8 charts can be down loaded from the files section of the forum.
    Good Luck with grabbing some models & watch out for that "Hun in the Sun"!

Good day, Oliver, from an island on the other side of North America, Vancouver Island.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

And a G'day from Canberra, Australia.

If you have difficulty finding a particular plane let us know. Some of us have spares. Postage is the killer unfortunately, and international mail service is often delayed these days.

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Hello Oliver.

Welcome to the Show. Couple of dual packs going on Ebay even as I type this. Good hunting in your search. How is the restoration of Stowe Maries going? Been a couple of years since I was last down there.

Oliver, sorry to nick yer thread- Hey Steve (Guntruck) where in Laindon? Used to live in Langdon Hills and New Century Road, opposite the shopping centre.
    Just along from there Iain - Tattenham Road. Shopping centre is a hole in the ground at the moment, being redeveloped after dying on it's feet for the last decade.

A belated welcome to the Drome Oliver from a very damp Dorset this morning. I would echo the recommendations for Entoyment already made. It is my local games shop, we have a regular Wings group of around 8 players and ensure that Pete keeps his stock levels up as far as possible.

Andy

Similar Missions

1. British Columbia: New WW2 Player in BC
    By Amish_rabbi in forum Canadian Wing
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-09-2018, 08:28
  2. New York New Player
    By redbaron823 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-25-2017, 16:47
  3. New player
    By tinfish in forum UK Wing