Ares Games

Thread: When Britain Nuked America........Twice!

Default When Britain Nuked America........Twice!

A Mark Felton video from Youtube telling the story of how R.A.F. Vulcan bombers penetrated the U.S. Air Defence systems in two exercises and successfully launched simulated attacks on U.S. cities.

Yeah, but they'd only have had a sheet of glass to go home to...

Seriously, the Vulcan was a VERY good platform other than a few specific issues (there is NO excuse to not provide Zero-Zero bangseats for every crewmember on a combat aircraft!), IMO when you guys got out of the bomber business we shoulda bought 'em all and turned 'em into super-sized Wild Weasels to clear the path for our B-52s.

Then again, you guys sent a Vulcan over to come play at SAC Bomb Comp in '81 or '82 and one of my profs led the 318th FIS team that bagged it... (Not an easy task, according to him!)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I remember reading a fiction book with the same premise, except the USA didn't know they were coming. Can't recall the title though.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I remember reading a fiction book with the same premise, except the USA didn't know they were coming. Can't recall the title though.
    Karl
    I remember that book too from many years ago. I think that, in the story, the authorities described the incident as an errant Douglas Skyray to allay the fears of the general population.

Still have a pair of 1/200" scale Vulcan bombers somewhere . . .

Rumour has it that the RAF conducted similar exercises without notice somewhere east of Sweden, pre Polaris.

At the same time my Uncle in RN Sigs was operating an ELINT listening post somewhere north east of Turkey.

I'm sure their opposite numbers got up to similar shennanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    I remember that book too from many years ago. I think that, in the story, the authorities described the incident as an errant Douglas Skyray to allay the fears of the general population.
    My memory agrees. Maybe google can help
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Interesting video. Mark always makes great videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Yeah, but they'd only have had a sheet of glass to go home to...

Seriously, the Vulcan was a VERY good platform other than a few specific issues (there is NO excuse to not provide Zero-Zero bangseats for every crewmember on a combat aircraft!), IMO when you guys got out of the bomber business we shoulda bought 'em all and turned 'em into super-sized Wild Weasels to clear the path for our B-52s.

Then again, you guys sent a Vulcan over to come play at SAC Bomb Comp in '81 or '82 and one of my profs led the 318th FIS team that bagged it... (Not an easy task, according to him!)

The crews all knew that, if it ever came to the real thing and they survived delivering their weapons, there would be nothing left to come home to.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The crews all knew that, if it ever came to the real thing and they survived delivering their weapons, there would be nothing left to come home to.

"He is wise who watches"

Well, well, well. Great video. Remember America. If we could find our nuclear weapon (it's probably in a garden shed somewhere) and a Vulcan, you'd be in trouble

Scroll down to the bit about Giant Voice '80...

http://www.318fis.com/318TH%20FIS%20...NT%20VOICE.htm
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Similar Missions

1. Wreaths across America
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-17-2016, 15:48
  2. Stats subforum nuked?
    By Diamondback in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 21:02
  3. This is not in America. This is in my hometown!
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 15:13
  4. How the America was won. Nightbomber's report:)
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 15:47
  5. WGFO: America's First Air War
    By Coog in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 16:44