Ares Games

Thread: OTT-CYM-Mission 6-Dog Days of August- Dover Raid 12th Aug 1916--gully_raker

Default OTT-CYM-Mission 6-Dog Days of August- Dover Raid 12th Aug 1916--gully_raker

Lt. Reginald Fife-Brand had called 2nd Lts Jonathon Snow & James Lannister to the Flight Office.
    "Right you chaps I have the opportunity to send 2 of our less experienced pilots to a new experimental Fighter Training course to be held at Upavon in Blighty.
    Now you will fly two of our older DH-2s to use on the course & will bring back two new ones when the course has finished". "That's it, take off at 0800 in the morning & make landfall near Dover Harbour & follow these instructions to Upavon" as he handed them a sheet of instructions.

Next morning the 2 excited pilots took off & proceeded to cross the channel heading by compass to Dover.
    As they flew on, waving & giving a thumbs up to each other, they spied the familiar white cliffs in the distance.
    Almost immediately they noticed 3 aircraft ahead of them making directly towards Dover Harbour.
    Jon Snow caught his breath! They were Germans. He recognised the distinct shape of a Roland painted in garish colours & one of the new Albatross C III's plus an older plane in CDL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 01.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 133.9 KB  ID: 292760" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

This could only mean one thing. They were going to bomb the harbour installations at Dover. He looked across at James who nodded & pointed to the approaching enemy. They had no choice they may have been the only British aircraft in the area & it was their duty to try to disrupt the raid.

As he headed for the enemy James Lannister flying C3 came under fire from the front gun of the C III but fortunately the shots missed.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 02.jpg  Views: 23  Size: 153.0 KB  ID: 292761" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

James concentrated on the CDL plane in front of him & was thrilled to see a lick of flames from the enemy aircraft & he flinched as he felt bullets his his De Havilland as the Albatross fired again but did not do much damage apart from a few holes in his wing fabric.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 03.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 130.3 KB  ID: 292762" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 04.jpg  Views: 23  Size: 145.5 KB  ID: 292764" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Jon Snow now joined the fight & both British planes gave the German aircraft which was an Aviatik a withering burst & it continued to burn whilst the Albatross again missed with its shots.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 05.jpg  Views: 23  Size: 146.4 KB  ID: 292763" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Roland which had been the lead plane in the German formation had avoided any attacks from the British aircraft now lined up for its bombing run on the Port installations.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 06.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 166.2 KB  ID: 292765" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Jon Snow's DH-2 now had a minor collision with the burning Aviatik but fortunately no significant damage resulted to either aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 07.jpg  Views: 24  Size: 144.2 KB  ID: 292766" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 08.jpg  Views: 23  Size: 148.6 KB  ID: 292767" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The fire on the Aviatik suddenly flared up & the German aircraft fell into the sea which extinguished the fire but the fate of the crew was unknown.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 09.jpg  Views: 23  Size: 101.5 KB  ID: 292768" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 23  Size: 128.3 KB  ID: 292769" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Roland released its bomb load which partially damaged the Power Station adjacent to the wharf.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 11.jpg  Views: 24  Size: 186.7 KB  ID: 292770" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Albatross was now approaching the harbour installations & finally got its range right & damaged Jon Snow's engine.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 12.jpg  Views: 24  Size: 189.4 KB  ID: 292771" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

"Bloody Hell!" exclaimed Jon as his Gnome started to vibrate & misfire. "I think he has wrecked a cylinder, I had better head for land!"

James Lannister who had taken time to change the drum on his Lewis gun now attacked the Roland which had turned for home. Unfortunately he came off second best from the exchange!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 13.jpg  Views: 25  Size: 175.9 KB  ID: 292772" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Albatross & Jon Snow very nearly collided as Jon struggled with this damaged aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 14.jpg  Views: 25  Size: 150.2 KB  ID: 292773" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Roland & James were not so lucky & also collided with the Roland suffering quite a bit of damage. (Note: I initially put a Engine damage token on the Roland until I realised my mistake & removed it!)

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 15.jpg  Views: 24  Size: 122.5 KB  ID: 292774" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As they separated the Roland's rear gunner gave James a parting shot but it went wide.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 16.jpg  Views: 25  Size: 185.8 KB  ID: 292775" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Albatross lined up on the large warehouse on the dock area & its aim was spot on & the warehouse exploded in spectacular fashion! (Note: due to the 3D scenery I had to juggle the cards so I show them alongside in the second photo)

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 17.jpg  Views: 25  Size: 217.6 KB  ID: 292776" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 18.jpg  Views: 25  Size: 192.6 KB  ID: 292777" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As the Albatross turned for home it again shot at Snow's aircraft & Jon felt a stinging blow to his right arm as a German bullet cut through his flying coat. (ignore the 1 on the dice as this was Turn 7 & I had not yet moved the 6 from the other side of the table)

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 19.jpg  Views: 24  Size: 155.9 KB  ID: 292778" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

To add insult to injury the Observer of the Albatross further damaged the DH-2 as the both headed for home & safety.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 20.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 195.5 KB  ID: 292779" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 21.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 167.6 KB  ID: 292780" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I somehow lost 2 photos of the end of the tussle between the Roland & James Lannister's DH-2 but after James pulled an Immelmann to chase the Roland he realised due to its speed he could not catch it so turned for the nearest landing strip to meet up with Jon Snow & discuss their adventure & make arrangements to travel on to Upavon after the engine of Jon's aircraft was replaced.

NOTES & Observations

Well that was a bit of Fun. I knew the Brits would be up against it with 2 Vs 3 & the speed of the Roland & Albatross. Quite a few collisions in this one but no Boom cards!
    I rolled for the starting points for the DH-2's & got P6 for one & 4+1 = 5 for the second which was the mid point of the mat.

VICTORY POINTS

BRITISH: 1 downed Enemy Tandem +4

GERMAN: 1 scout forced from battle =1
    2 bombers home safe = 6
    2 bomb cards on Port = 6
    TOTAL: 13

GERMAN VICTORY!
    Last edited by flash; 09-25-2020 at 01:16.

Default The BUTCHERS BILL!

British Forces

Name:	<acronym title=BB 2.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 190.8 KB  ID: 292781" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    2nd Lt Jonathon Snow: (DH-2 C2) FRTB-E / WIA 0 Kills
    Rolled 7 -1WIA +1 RTB =7 injured
    Rolled 3 = Skips 1

Name:	<acronym title=BB 1.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 165.8 KB  ID: 292782" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    2nd Lt James Lannister: (DH-2 C3) RTB 1Kill (Aviatik - set on fire by Lannister)

German Forces

Roland

Name:	<acronym title=BB 4.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 112.2 KB  ID: 292783" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    P) Vzfwbl Fredrich Schleiff: RTB 0 Kills

O) Ltn Franz Thieller: RTB 0 Kills

Albatross C.III

Name:	<acronym title=BB 5.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 87.8 KB  ID: 292784" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    P) Ltn Otto Schoenfelder: ( who was co-opted to fly the C.III due to its regular Pilot Obltn H Dahlmann being wounded) RTB 0 Kills

O) Ltn William Pozner: RTB 0 Kills

Aviatik CII

Name:	<acronym title=BB 3.jpg  Views: 23  Size: 154.8 KB  ID: 292785" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    p) Ltn Hans Groos: SD-FLM-SEA-ET 0 Kills
    Rolled 10 -2FLM-1SEA = 7 injured - Rolled 6 = skips 2
    E&E Rolled 3 -1FLM -1SEA -1BEL -1WIC = -1 The war is over for this pilot.

O) Ltn Hans Schobinger SD-FLM-SEA-ET 0 Kills
    Rolled 6 -2 FLM -1SEA = 3 Injured - Rolled 6= Skips 6
    E&E Rolled 9 -1FLM -1SEA -1BEL -1WIC = 5 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios.
    (Hiding amongst the flotsam of their wrecked machine he is missed by the British but subsequently recovered by a German boat in wretched condition)

Dave I am not sure how you want to treat the E & E.
    Will the Sea be considered Enemy Territory or No Mans Land?
    Would you mind making the decision & doing the E & E Rolls please. Done
    Last edited by flash; 09-25-2020 at 02:10. Reason: Sorted images & Tally

Well played Baz, seems tough to get a win with this mission, your chaps did their best and even if a little banged up made it safe ashore and gave the folk at home a boost by downing a Hun in the ditch !

Uncle says:

Looks like you can't help but trip over trouble wherever you go ! Very glad you both landed with your feet dry which is more than you can say for the Hun you bagged. They pulled a much decorated veteran pilot from the drink but found no trace of his observer who is presumed lost. They may have done what they'd set out to do but they paid a price thanks to you

Note: Snow's DH2 did not get a 1 +1 in the last pass as shot by different guns so not consecutive fire !

Meanwhile, across the lines..
    Fwbl Hans Anslinger (P2) & Ltn Karl Seitz (O) have joined the Eagle's tandem crews to replace the one lost
    PS Try not to use scout pilots when short of a P2 in future, drop me a line and I'll add one for you.
    Last edited by flash; 09-25-2020 at 02:08.

"He is wise who watches"

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well played Baz, seems tough to get a win with this mission, your chaps did their best and even if a little banged up made it safe ashore and gave the folk at home a boost by downing a Hun in the ditch !

Uncle says:

Looks like you can't help but trip over trouble wherever you go ! Very glad you both landed with your feet dry which is more than you can say for the Hun you bagged. They pulled a much decorated veteran pilot from the drink but found no trace of his observer who is presumed lost. They may have done what they'd set out to do but they paid a price thanks to you

Note: Snow's DH2 did not get a 1 +1 in the last pass as shot by different guns so not consecutive fire !

Meanwhile, across the lines..
    Fwbl Hans Anslinger (P2) & Ltn Karl Seitz (O) have joined the Eagle's tandem crews to replace the one lost
    PS Try not to use scout pilots when short of a P2 in future, drop me a line and I'll add one for you.
    Yeah, sorry about that. I only picked up on the lack of a 2 seat pilot when I went to post the AAR.

Good AAR, Baz. A tough one to prevent the enemy from dropping a bomb or two on the harbour. The Admiral wasn't too impressed with my lot and and it looks like not so impressed with yours either.

An interesting bedtime story for me, Baz.
    I read it last night, but was waiting for the Butcher's to be tallied before commenting.
    I enjoyed your take on this. Nice 3D mockup for the Dover target area.

Good to see the Adler in the drink didn't drown after all.

Mike has a lot to answer for with you also creating 3d scenery on the table. It did look good though, I like what you did for Dover

Another German victory which your lads seemed incapable of stopping no matter how hard they tried. but st least they made it back to Blighty in time for tea and crumpets.

Hahahaha Hands up John - it seems to be catching. Great Bundle Baz. The outcome was pretty much the same as mine except one of my Bulldogs drew a boom card almost immediately the thrash began. A resounding victory for the eagles in both cases. That said, that pretty much tallies with what actually happened to Dover in the war. Lots of bombs and no enemy aircraft shot down. The AA guns were apparently useless as they were often issued with ammunition unsuitable for the job. That's war I guess.
    Really like your terrain and I'll take to blame for it - it looks good.
    REP Inbound

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTCYM Mission 6 - Dog days of Aout - 12th August 1916 by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-2021, 20:39
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-13-2021, 17:09
  3. AAR OTT CYM Mission 6 “The Dog Days of August” 11/8/1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-13-2021, 15:57