Ares Games

Thread: Maneuvers to reduce climb counters

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Default Maneuvers to reduce climb counters

My Son and I have been discussing this quite a bit.
    What if we allow a straight or possibly a stall to remove a climb counter.
    Not doing a full dive or changing actual elevation, just allowing a plane to remove a climb counter.
    Do you guys think this is reasonable?
    Do you have a different idea?

Interesting. Split-S turns have you loose a climb counter.

And there is this Ace Skill:
    Height Control: (Advanced rules) (s.9 & Ace set)
    When executing a dive, or, overdive, this pilot may take (or, keep) as many climb counters as he wants, up to the maximum climb of his airplane minus one.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-18-2020 at 07:38.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

There is a house rule for WW2 that does something similar that I like a lot. Keith makes chits for this and I've bought enough for 20 planes!

WW2 has speed and it works like this. When flying fast you can lower your altitude by 1 chit playing a fast- chit for speed choice. When flying slow you can increase your altitude by 1 chit by playing the slow+ chit. There are of course fast and slow chits without the elevation change. You could use these.

I would suggest limiting to one + added increment per 3 card turn and maybe 2 - subtracted increments.

I have my own house rule where I play with the climb card worth +1 or +2 climb increments at the pilots choice. I think having +2 makes playing with altitude more forgiving for the slower climbing planes while still keeping the flavor of different climb rates.

You would need to have some form of chit or marker to play with the stall or straight card during the planning phase to indicate it was being used as a shallow dive rather than a normal stall or straight because having a choice of moves and just announcing which is being used when the card is turned over would be a big advantage. You would also need to have null chits to play on the other movement cards so that the presence of a chit was not revealing what you have planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wyant View Post
    ...What if we allow a straight or possibly a stall to remove a climb counter. Not doing a full dive or changing actual elevation, just allowing a plane to remove a climb counter. Do you guys think this is reasonable? Do you have a different idea?
    Why just on a stall or a straight ? Why not any card ? Why just to lose height ? Why not an incremental climb ?
    Use the red climb/dive cards for multiple climb counters gained or lost.
    I do something similar but use pegs instead of counters, makes the planes look like they're flying. As David said, you'll need markers, and it's quite tricky getting on to an opponent that's throwing it about a bit !

"He is wise who watches"

Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. Climb Counters
    By Black Sheep One in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 07:41
  2. Climb Counters
    By Пилот in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 03:32
  3. Altitude v Climb counters
    By Linz in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 16