Ares Games

Thread: DONCASTER 2020 AN OFFICIAL WELCOME

Default DONCASTER 2020 AN OFFICIAL WELCOME

Hello everyone and welcome to this year’s Doncaster gathering. On such a lovely sunny day, I am really excited to welcome you all to this year’s non-event. It is remarkable just how many people have managed to not make it to Doncaster this year, looking around I think it must be a record year for not turning up.

We have a packed non programme this year as usual. In the main room we have Tim not running a fantastic Battlestar Galactica game, I am sure that will be very popular with all those that have failed to attend. Thanks to Mikee, Neil and Reg for their Wings Games, its brilliant that we can finally not play Neil’s 1938 China Sea game, I know I have been looking forward to not being able to play it for a couple of years now. Obviously I will not be getting my Bristol’s out at some point as usual…
    In the side room the Sails brigade are excitedly not opening their bottles of port and are ready to not play another highly detailed and historically accurate naval engagement, once the traditional toasts have been not applied of course.

On Sunday we won’t be having our now traditional crazy Ace of Aces game, and I look forward to not awarding the Eagle Trophy to one non-existent player.
    So without further ado, let the games not begin…. I look forward to seeing plenty of inaction reports and some great non photos…

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  56.7 KB
    The games have started, nice to see so many smiling familiar faces

On a serious note, I am genuinely gutted that I am sitting here typing this into a laptop and not welcoming everyone to our annual gathering. It has been a really tough year so far for so many people, for me the bad news started when we lost Harry Matterne (Matt56) back in February, little did I think that the year would just get worse and worse for so many reasons. However we have arrived in September, thankfully we are still here, and as far as I am aware we are carrying on as best we can.

So as we write off our 2020 event let’s look forward to 2021 and keep fingers (and everything else) crossed that life is a lot more normal than it is now.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Great!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'll start you off with my Sails game we did not play.Name:  IMG_9400.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  79.4 KB

Rob.

At least some things are the same: Tim WON'T join SoG mission again...

I really miss Yorkshire in September But news stream on my mobile phone connect me to Local Doncaster news, so I know what happened there

Turned up yesterday and wondered why nobody was there. Had to cancel my hotel reservation that I didn't make
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I applaud your chin up attitudes and I do not raise a glass of spirits in salute, but only because it is 06:50.

Just realized that I did not have to make my opening speech, which I would not have needed to make anyway as Chris is now the Wingco!

Oh! I was always led to believe that two negatives make a positive, so does that mean that I have to make the speech that I wasn't going to make anyway?
    Rob.

This is a virtual toast to you all that I can't make because it is virtual so under the above hypothisis I am off to have a real one that I can drink.

Kyte.

OH! If I am a virtual character on this site I can't have a G&t in the real world.
    Rob will have to drink it for me.

Cheers Rob... drinks all round

That is virtually what I was trying to say Chris.
    Rob.

I virtually understood...

Darn it and i thought you really understood.
    Rob/

Thanks Chris - that brought a good smile to my virtual face and just to say thank you, heres a non photo of the event I planned deliberately not to put on _ " ".

Here's to all you non participants, but you better turn up next year otherwise Chris will virtually cry, along with the rest of us. So now lets all repair to the bar. Virtual drinks on me

A virtual round is much cheaper I have found, lol

I guess Nemanja would be excited he doesn't need to wake up early for the first mission

Still stuck in Birmingham airport with men in Hazmat suits saying a WoW con is not a valid reason to enter the country. I stongly disagreed and have been threatened with deportation to Spain
    Role on 2021and perhaps renaming itTheDoncaster international duck and grouse shoot to get over 6 and out rule

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Love that idea Paul... but we do shoot a lot of Albatrosses, I’m surprised that doesn’t count...

And Camels,do they count as well

Please come back Mr Manley. All is forgiven.
    I would settle for your virus any day rather than miss Doncaster.

I am so upset that I have even forgotten not to bring any awards to give out, when we don't have our meal together this evening.

Guess I will just have to console myself with a few more bottles of G&t.
    Anybody seen my nonexistent Gramophone recently. I just fancied a bit of non music to go with the G&t.

Kyte.

So glad I didn't have to avoid not attending this year.

I'm very happy to be not spreading my annual mid-September cold to everybody this year

Duck and Grouse shooting? Here are a Grumman Duck and a Gloster Grouse.

Name:  J2F-5_1942_NAN11-61.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  58.7 KBName:  1200px-GGrouse.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  86.8 KB

That brings back a memory, David.

I remember I got a Grumman Duck model sent from England for my birthday when I was 7 or 8.

Just

I so wanted to be there...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

We so wanted you to be here Mike.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I'm very happy to be not spreading my annual mid-September cold to everybody this year
    Kind of ironic that Dave Manley isn’t the biggest virus worry for once. Lol hope you aren’t too poorly Dave.

Would have been amazing if you could have made it Mike....

Mind you, I can’t make it and I can walk to the venue.

Well, I didn't think I was confused, virtually or otherwise, but now I' not so sure!
    Roll on 2021.

Name:  i-was-never-confused.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  104.5 KB
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Lol, nice one Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Name:  i-was-never-confused.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  104.5 KB
    Yes, very funny Tim. Now just shut up and drink your beer!

i feel the same way about origins. i was particularly looking forward to it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i feel the same way about origins. i was particularly looking forward to it this year.
    So Was I!!!!!!

Very much missing this years games, drinks and chats, hope to see all again soon

Talk about wind spreading the parachute landings, bloody Simon has dropped in complaining that it was green light on and he had to jump. Mind you Stalingrad is cold at this time of year, but he tells me we are off to sunny. hot and humid Burma after lunch.

Glad the rest of you were not in the same stick as Simon, we only have 3 bedrooms and a 6 birth tent.

On a happier note the aspidistra was pleased not to be making the annual drive south. She was sick of people filling her up with beer and other nefarious doubtful liquids!

Be well, be safe, see you all next year, if I survive Stalingrad and the jungles of Burma.

Any one seen my insect reppellent?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Yes, very funny Tim. Now just shut up and drink your beer!
    Yes sir, excepting it is Gin.
    Name:  IMG_0041.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  85.4 KB

To absent friends.

That’s a big CHEERS from me Rob...

Hoisting a Brandy or two myself.

Sante

Similar Missions

1. DONCASTER 2020... Important Announcement
    By Hedeby in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-11-2020, 23:33
  2. GAMES & TABLES FOR DONCASTER 2020
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster 2020
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 07-31-2020, 05:04