Ares Games

Thread: Clarification stats for Cant Z506 and Piaggio P108

Default Clarification stats for Cant Z506 and Piaggio P108

Just received the well-known Piaggio P108 and Cant Z506 metal models. They look really great for only 5€ each. I wish there were more
    such models in this scale.

I think I understand the stats, just correct be if I'm wrong.

- P108 engine nacelle turrets: The plane card states B/A* "inaccurate long-range" and the explanations in the gunnery arcs document
    mention house rule A/- . I assume this means short-range A, no shooting at long-range, right?

- Deck for Z506
    stats list says Deck R(ZB), the plane cards in OldGuys59 album have R(SB) and the notes mention modifier Zb. I suppose this is all the same, right?

So R(ZB)=R(Zb): Use deck R but remove reversals, 45, 60 degree turns, extreme side slips. Move just the length of the arrow.
    Somewhere I've read about the trick with placing the card on the base, move, then base on the card. Is this the idea?
    In fact there is an unofficial deck R(SB) in the file section. It appears to implement above rules, so I will probably go for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    - P108 engine nacelle turrets: The plane card states B/A* "inaccurate long-range" and the explanations in the gunnery arcs document
    mention house rule A/- . I assume this means short-range A, no shooting at long-range, right?
    That is correct; the engine nacelle guns were remotely aimed and fired, and frankly, the accuracy of any of those, even the computer-aimed ones in the B-29, much worse than the normal bomber defense guns.

- Deck for Z506
    stats list says Deck R(ZB), the plane cards in OldGuys59 album have R(SB) and the notes mention modifier Zb. I suppose this is all the same, right?

So R(ZB)=R(Zb): Use deck R but remove reversals, 45, 60 degree turns, extreme side slips. Move just the length of the arrow.
    Somewhere I've read about the trick with placing the card on the base, move, then base on the card. Is this the idea?
    In fact there is an unofficial deck R(SB) in the file section. It appears to implement above rules, so I will probably go for that one.
    My typo for using a "ZB" rather than a "Zb". I'm not sure why Mike's has a R)SB), though I'm sure it is also a typo.
    For using Zoe Brain's system for slow planes, see:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-cards-needed)
    Basically, you only move the plane the length of the arrow on the card, not the arrow plus the base.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

More editting. My Proofreader is useless, really.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks for your replies.

I notice that the ventral gun of the P108 card has also a * for inaccuracy. Is this a typo or rationale decision?

One other way to handle inaccuracy good be to adopt the AA gun rule for solo games. Draw an A counter, if value is 2 or higher then draw the appropriate damage counter.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    More editting. My Proofreader is useless, really.
    Card Fixed: OldGuy59's WWII Italian Bombers Album: Updated Cant Z506 Card
    Mike

And one more inconsistency found for the P108

The stats list says deck XA, the card says XC. Which is one is appropriate?

I notice that the ventral gun of the P108 card has also a * for inaccuracy. Is this a typo or rationale decision?
    And one more inconsistency found for the P108

The stats list says deck XA, the card says XC. Which one is appropriate?
    Any replies about this?

Any replies about this?
    More editting?
    Mike

The deck should be XA.
    The ventral gun is not range restricted; from the Gunnery notes:
    Piaggio P.108B
    Nose gun: front arc level to low A/A;
    Ventral gun: rear arc level to low A/A;
    Waist guns: 2:00 to 5:00 and 7:00 to 10:00 level only, A/A each;
    Engine nacelle turrets: 3:00 to 6:00 and 6:00 to 9:00 level to high, B/A
    (but house rule A/- due to remote (radio) control.)
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Ace rules clarification
    By JanW in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2019, 15:49
  2. Piaggio PC7
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 16:04
  3. Piaggio P108 "Bombs over Gibraltrar"
    By Mad Charly in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 2