Ares Games

Thread: albatros d.iii

Default albatros d.iii

Here's a question regarding the D.III and the game. I recently lost out on a Hautzmayer (love the colour scheme) and am now chasing a Brumowski. Just discovered they flew for Austria-Hungary.

Now here's the question. Do the maneouvre decks differentiate between the German variant and the Austria-Hungarian varient which was faster/tougher (?) If not I can continue chasing Brumowski and hope another Hautzmeyer (did I mention I loved the colour scheme?) comes up somewhere.

Mention this because I want my German Eagles to be flying German planes. If the decks are the same, then sod historic accuracy, I like the planes

ARES did not make the stats for the Austrian Alb D.IIIs different from the German ones. So game-wise they are treated the same. The unofficial committee has a nice list that does give you the different values. In the files 'HERE' you can fine the list.

I made up some A and B decks for my Austrians. Early in the war we use the Albatros stats. Later, we use the unofficial Oeffag 153 or Oeffag 253 stats. You can use the same model, just need some maneuver decks.

Peter / Dan

Ta everso for the information. Time for a ponder

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Here's a question regarding the D.III and the game. I recently lost out on a Hautzmayer (love the colour scheme) and am now chasing a Brumowski. Just discovered they flew for Austria-Hungary.

Now here's the question. Do the maneouvre decks differentiate between the German variant and the Austria-Hungarian varient which was faster/tougher (?) If not I can continue chasing Brumowski and hope another Hautzmeyer (did I mention I loved the colour scheme?) comes up somewhere.

Mention this because I want my German Eagles to be flying German planes. If the decks are the same, then sod historic accuracy, I like the planes
    Good luck with the Brumowski Iain (and the Hautzmeyer). I have been looking out for a Brumowski for years. I did repaint one of the more available models and stick a few paper skulls on it but not quite the same

By the way, I think there is a Siemens Schuckert model with skulls on it too if you are hankering after the macabre. Unlike the Albatros they fly really well too. Formidable even.

Tusekine has some shapeways Austrian that he painted up. One was a Brumowski. He was selling all his stuff. You may want to message him and see if he has any left.

Here it is. He posted on 7/7/2020. He has a post in the classified section.

Albatross D. III Oefag 153 Brumowski (skull) Shapeway repaint,
    no stand, handmade plane card for late war model (flies B-deck), Hautzmayer plane card for standard J-deck, J-deck maneuver cards

just seem the Brumowsi on E-bay go above what I was prepared to pay. It was a nice idea but not a Must Have plane. I'm sure I've seen somewhere a mainly red Albatros but with a lot of grey at the front. Typically can't find it. Ah well back to dreams of Hautzmayers

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

I was thinking about what maneuver deck to use for my new Albatros D.III Oeffag 253. After consulting an Osprey book "Albatros D.III" I thought about the L-Deck, as there are lores, that the 253 was highly regarded by her pilots and classified as the best plane of WW1. So the A-Deck, like suggested by the unofficial stats, doesn't seem to fit. The A-Deck is just a faster version of the B- and J-Deck. But the improved D.III seem to be also more maneuverable through the improved wings and fuselage. Didn't the Austrians have access to the Fokker D.VII, to compare both planes? In the Osprey book, there is only mentioned, that the Austrian pilots avoided the D.V and preferred their advanced Albatros D.III.

The Alb D.V was little improvement over the Alb D.III and probably beaten hands down by the Austrian version, so no surprise they didn't take it.
    The engines of their D.III were more powerful & they were strong, so they went fast and the wings didn't fall off in a dive but I don't think that made them as manoeuvrable as the Fokker D.VII. They were certainly the best Alb D.III made & maybe the best plane in Austria in WW1.

"He is wise who watches"

If anything, the maneuverability would get worse with the higher wing loading caused by carrying the heavier engine, and not compensating by increasing the wing area.

From what I have gleaned, the Oeffag 203 was faster and climbed better than the German Albatri.

Plus, I have never seen any mention anywhere of another plane being able to "hang on the prop" like the Fokker D.VII, so only that machine should ever get the 'L' deck.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Florian
    Sorties Flown

Ok. Thank you Dave and Tim for the explanation. I also thought about simulating the inferior under wing construction of the regular D.III through a special rule. Every time an overdive is executed, the player has to draw a damage card. On a specific result, the plane is destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    I also thought about simulating the inferior under wing construction of the regular D.III through a special rule. Every time an overdive is executed, the player has to draw a damage card. On a specific result, the plane is destroyed.
    I have trialled a House Rule where the first "straight" (following the "dive" card) draws a 'B' damage card; a second "straight" draws an 'A' card, and a third "straight" draws a 'C' card.

Quote Originally Posted by Karo7 View Post
    ... I also thought about simulating the inferior under wing construction of the regular D.III through a special rule. Every time an overdive is executed, the player has to draw a damage card. On a specific result, the plane is destroyed.
    There is the Boom card for that !
    Not all planes were destroyed of course, MvR was forced down for instance, as were others I'm sure.
    Maybe if you pull a 5 on an A deck the spar cracks and you add it to your damage - you have to retire from the combat, or, the additional damage is sufficient to down you. A boom card downs you, of course, any other result is ignored.
    Of course, if you take that into account you then have to check all the other types that had issues at various point's - Alb D.V, Fokkers; Nieuports that shed their skins and the like. Could become a bit of a nightmare.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I have trialled a House Rule where the first "straight" (following the "dive" card) draws a 'B' damage card; a second "straight" draws an 'A' card, and a third "straight" draws a 'C' card.
    How did the trial work out Tim ?
    It seems a bit excessive, not all planes broke up as soon as they dived, or, over-dived.

"He is wise who watches"

I didn't, and don't, think it is excessive.

Play 'Dive' card, drop 1 peg, no damage.
    Play 'Straight' as part of overdive, drop a second peg, draw a 'B' - only a 1 in 44 chance of BOOM; almost 30% chance of '0' damage - the plane should easily survive (only 1 '4' in the 'B' deck....).
    Play second 'Straight'. drop a third peg, draw an 'A' - around 20% chance of '0', only 1 in 35 chance of BOOM.

Having lost three pegs altitude, and drawn 2 damage cards, the player REALLY should realise he must pull out of the dive at that point!
    In practice, everyone did - nobody tried a fourth peg altitude drop, risking the 'C' card.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 01-16-2021 at 04:25.

Sounds like it worked then !

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Day of the Albatros
    By Herkybird in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-27-2019, 07:52
  2. Western Front: Questions about SPAD VII, Albatros D.II and Albatros D.III
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-05-2016, 15:17
  3. Albatros D.I and D.II