Ares Games

Thread: First Model Builds in 40+ Years

Default First Model Builds in 40+ Years

I just finished my first model builds since my teen age years. I had chosen to go with Reviresco the Sopwith Dolphin and Sopwith Triplane with the corresponding decal sets. Here's the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Both.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	292324

Name:	Dolphin.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	292325

Name:	Tripe.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	292327

Overall, an OK effort. Most of the flaws are hidden in the poor lighting . Had several issues around the decals (color matching the tripe decals, wear and tear during the build process, etc).

On the other hand, the cards came out really well. I tweaked one of the old WOW style template files to use the new WOG symbols:

Name:	Dolphin Card.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	758.2 KB 
ID:	292326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sopwith Triplane Card.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	777.7 KB 
ID:	292328

The problem is that while I already have an N deck, I don't have access to a U deck and can't find one. Any help?

Hello Michael, you did a great job on the planes! I especially like the Dolphin. I think the results are much better than o.k.
    Keep up the great work!
    I'm glad you started this thread. I'm working on some of Daryl's Airco DH.2 the clipper way.
    Tom

Great effort a Michael, well done

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hi Michael and well done with your models. Nice to see you have not lost your touch from all those years ago.

The Triplane originally came out with D as the manoevre deck, at least that is what it says in my 2014 stats spreadsheet. So if you have a D deck just change the plane card, otherwise you can download and use the WoG mates cards that have all the decks (one complete deck per card).

Nice job on them. I use to build 1/72 tanks but when I saw the small pieces and having to build the suspension I gave up on that. For planes I now stick with Shapeways (WW I) and AIM (WWII). Nothing to put together just add paint and your done.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Michael and well done with your models. Nice to see you have not lost your touch from all those years ago.
    Although I have lost a bit of eyesight. I spent the best $20 ever at Hobby Lobby for one of their head magnifiers with LEDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    The Triplane originally came out with D as the manoevre deck, at least that is what it says in my 2014 stats spreadsheet. So if you have a D deck just change the plane card, otherwise you can download and use the WoG mates cards that have all the decks (one complete deck per card).
    Hi Gary -- I wasn't sure what it was originally released as; but the Ares site shows the U deck for the Triplane ( https://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww1-w...pwith-triplane ). I'll have to compare them; but the D deck though might win out since that's also used with the Dr.I, and I have one of those. Good idea about the mates card, I forgot about that option.

Oh and thank you everyone for the encouragement. I have D.VII on deck (also with the full decals). Then I might try a Shapeways model or two.
    Last edited by mandrews; 09-12-2020 at 17:24.

Good effort Michael. I am a big fan of the Dolphin, looks nice.

A big speed difference in the D and U decks. If the Tripe was that much faster than the Dr1 then the U deck is the one to use.

Nice work, Michael!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Are these hand made or very small kits?

Quote Originally Posted by mandrews View Post
    ...The problem is that while I already have an N deck, I don't have access to a U deck and can't find one. Any help?
    Although the D & U deck share the same manoeuvres, Michael, they are in different speed bands; D being the slower. The U deck for the SopTripe is an Ares creation so it will not be available in any Nexus WoW booster pack (as they had the SopTripe down as a D deck) and unless someone has done away with their model or used it for other purposes it's unlikely you'll find one in the secondhand market. However, if you can lay hands on a spare WoW, or, WoG M or O deck you can create a U deck but will have to label it so.
    How to do this:
    O Deck - minus 2 hard left turns
    M deck - minus 1 hard left turn & a broad right sideslip
    An alternative is someone has a digital version they can let you have to print your own.

Deck U (22) – Fast speed - 4.7cm - (arrow is 80% of the card)
    3 straight
    2 hard right turn (90°)
    3 right turn
    3 left turn
    2 stall - steep
    1 Immelmann !
    2 right sideslip
    2 left sideslip
    1 broad right sideslip - steep
    1 broad left sideslip - steep
    1 climb
    1 dive
    Last edited by flash; 09-13-2020 at 06:02.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wyant View Post
    Are these hand made or very small kits?
    They are small kits from www.tin-soldier.com although I picked mine up from noble knight. Depending on the kit, there are about 1-2 dozen pieces. Here's a Fokker D.VII kit laid out (although this one is missing a sprue):

Name:	P9120261.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	292355

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Although the D & U deck share the same manoeuvres, Michael, they are in different speed bands; D being the slower. The U deck for the SopTripe is an Ares creation so it will not be available in any Nexus WoW booster pack (as they had the SopTripe down as a D deck) and unless someone has done away with their model or used it for other purposes it's unlikely you'll find one in the secondhand market. However, if you can lay hands on a spare WoW, or, WoG M or O deck you can create a U deck but will have to label it so.
    How to do this:
    O Deck - minus 2 hard left turns
    M deck - minus 1 hard left turn & a broad right sideslip
    An alternative is someone has a digital version they can let you have to print your own.
    That's an interesting idea. Unfortunately, I don't have those decks either; but the planes might be more available.

Nice job on those models. I don't have the patience for getting the wings lined up properly. Hence, I am reading Clippers shapeways tutorials.

Similar Missions

1. Two new builds!
    By richard m schwab in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2015, 17:45
  2. THree new builds.
    By richard m schwab in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 03:03
  3. WGF First Four Builds
    By Fabric Flyer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22