Ares Games

Thread: Thoughts and Positive Vibes for the West Coast of USA, September 2020

Default Thoughts and Positive Vibes for the West Coast of USA, September 2020

Today, in Comox, we have an Air Quality advisory. We also have "Smoke", not clouds in the forcast. Not because British Columbia is burning, but because the West Coast of the United States is burning.

This map says a lot about what is happening:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WestCoast202009.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	292323

Because of a high pressure system off the West Coast of the US, the air is circulating up to Canada, and is working its way into the straits and valleys of the Canadian Coast. Air Quality in the lower part of the province of British Columbia is now at levels that people with respiratory issues need to stay inside, and outdoor work is not recommended.

All this brings to mind that we are not suffering, in any way, as people in the Western States are being impacted by the fires they are dealing with.

Please send, at least, your thoughts and prayers/positive vibes to those in peril, and those who are doing all they can to protect others in peril.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Yes indeed, they need all the help they can get.

"He is wise who watches"

It’s apocalyptic there at the moment, my sister in law lives not far from San Francisco and she says the sky is just red, but there are many places much worse. Oregon looks really bad...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

And lots of these are being deliberately set by sick jerkoffs, including one within a 5-minute walk of my studio.

The T&P are much appreciated, friends; prayers for rain would be very helpful.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I feel for our American friends who are affected by these terrible wildfires.
    We have been down that track last January & February so we have a good idea how you are suffering.

Best wishes for a good & speedy resolution!

Yes! Prayers all round for those folk indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    And lots of these are being deliberately set by sick jerkoffs, including one within a 5-minute walk of my studio.

The T&P are much appreciated, friends; prayers for rain would be very helpful.

i just dont understand the world we live in any more.
    positive vibes for those enduring this.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i just dont understand the world we live in any more.
    positive vibes for those enduring this.
    I completely agree with this statement Phillip.

thinking of you all on the West Coast and surrounding States. Wishing you all safe n well

Adding my thoughts and prayers to the list!

My sister in law purchased a house near San Francisco. It is still standing but she and her wife had to abandon it a month ago. The woods atound have been on fire. Sometimes burning animals run away from the woods setting stuff on fire. Complete madness, like if Covid and all those protests weren't enough.

Woke up this morning, and thought the clocks were wrong. It was supposed to be a cloudless day on Vancouver Island, but it was not bright and sunny. In fact, it looked like dawn or dusk.

This is why:

Name:	WestCoast20200913.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	292349
    Source: Satellitemaps.nesdis.noaa.gov - Latest 24 Hrs Western Hemisphere (Zoomed to West Coast)

Haze over Southern British Columbia is smoke, not clouds. And it is now heading across the continent to the Western Provinces and States.

Better Half has all the air cleaners going in the house, and is still having trouble breathing. Can't imagine what is happening in the directly affected states to the south.

Saw a Youtube video yesterday of drone images over San Francisco comparing it to 'Bladerunner' shots. www.youtube.com - San Francisco is now Blade Runner 2020

More thoughts and positive vibes...
    Mike

Totally socked in here in Portland.
    Switched from the heat pump that draws from outside air to the gas furnace.
    Don't usually need to switch to heat until Late October or even November.

Crazy times.

My street (when we first moved in 10 years ago, but with the mountains in the distance):

Name:	AvroArrow_Panorama-20100619.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	292352
    Note: June 2010, 6 AM.

Today, with smoke (No mountains visible, and the not too distant trees hazy):

Name:	AvroArrow_Panorama-20200913.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	292354
    Note: September 2020, 11 AM.

You can taste the smoke in the air, and other family members are coughing when outside. This is worse than the BC Fire season.

More thoughts and positive vibes...
    Mike

Blimey thats some difference considering how far away you are from the epicentre of the fires

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Recommended : N95 respirators for those in mild discomfort. Easy to wear, easy to sleep in.

The US AQI score is 500 for hazardous. To get the Australian AQI, divide by 2.5, so 200 (Au) = 500 (Us).

Canberra had weeks of 3000(Au), consecutive days of 5000(Au) and rare local hourly peaks of 7000(Au) in Jan and Feb. 15-35 times hazard level. Dozens died, hundreds were hospitalised in January, despite mass distribution of N95 masks. 3000(Au) is 7500(Us).

For AQI above 5000(Us) an N95 respirator, while helpful, is insufficient.

I can recommend the 3M 7500 series respirator with type 2061 particulate filters. Those were completely effective even at the highest AQI for hours at a time.

Highest AQI I have seen so far in the US is 1458(Us), but based on Australian experience, this could go way higher without notice.

I'm up at 5 am everyday, this is the sun here in Arizona around 6 am as I drive into work this morning, looking a lot like Mars and smelling like a campfire . . . prayers for those in danger . . .

Name:	20200912_064323_resized.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	292426

Similar Missions

1. September 2020 Workbench
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 159
    Last Post: 10-03-2020, 15:23
  2. Partizan 2020 17 May 2020
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing