Ares Games

Thread: OTT CYM Mission 6 – Dog Days of August – 11 & 12 August 1916 – Vagabond

Default OTT CYM Mission 6 – Dog Days of August – 11 & 12 August 1916 – Vagabond

Attack on Dover

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001 P1450260.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	292246
    The great ferry port of Dover bears as little resemblance to my image as I do to Prince Charming but for this game you are just going to have to use your imagination. This to all intents and purposes is as near to Dover as my story is going to get. Indeed it’s a confused story, why are the Bulldogs flying anywhere near Dover when they should be on the western front fighting for King, Country and their lives and not necessarily in that order.

It goes back a few months, to the opening story of the Daring Young Men, long before the almost salacious tales of the current Cocky Young men, to a time that I took my first tentative steps becoming a member of C flight. My first mission was one of the most dreaded undertaken by any right thinking pilot and I will say in spite of some opposition, C Flight were mainly right thinking pilots, slightly eccentric it has been pointed out but certainly right thinking. Sorry but I digress a little.

Well on that flight Lt George Drummond and his Observer Frank Lawless had been shot down over enemy territory. George had escaped but Frank who was wounded had been captured. George never really forgave himself for leaving Frank behind, we all knew he had no choice but guilt plays strange tricks with a man’s state of mind and I don’t think he ever got over that.

Name:	George Drummond 01.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	292247
    This is George Drummond when I joined the flight, he was always a bit cold and aloof, a ladies man as well but a leader you would follow to hell and back but the incident with Frank changed all that. It’s a long story but eventually George was able to rescue Frank, it was a daring landing in enemy territory, it’s all documented in my diaries and some of you might remember the tale. He pulled Frank back from the clutches of the dastardly Hun and that might have been the end of it but in the first mission after this heroic rescue they were shot down again, their plane exploded and Frank Lawless was killed in the crash.

George survived but was badly injured and spent a long time in the field hospital before being returned to Blighty to recover fully. This proved to be an elusive task for the medical team in charge of his health. Physically things were going well, a certain Nurse Irene Brown was said to be responsible for his quick physical recovery, but he developed double vision and in spite of trying to hide it, the Doctors noted a tremor in his right hand as well a rapid and erratic movement of his right eye.

Strangely enough one of his Doctors was a certain Dr Robert Galbraith whose daughter was to eventually write children’s books about a wizarding school and one of her characters was developed from tales her father told her of a certain Mad Eye Drummond. I digress again but the essential point of my story is that Uncle had requested that two of C Flights Pilots who were due a weeks leave in England make time in their busy schedule of drinking, womanising and evaluating the best night spots in London to set aside a day to visit George Drummond. Tell him how the squadron and especially how C Flight were faring and report back to Uncle so he was prepared for the eventuality of Drummond returning soon or indeed if he wouldn’t return at all.

I’ll return to George Drummonds story later but for now I want to tell the tale of our pilots return flight from Blighty to the Western Front. This would ordinarily be uneventful, a tedious flight over the Channel only enlivened by the concern of engine failure and ditching in the cold dark waters and drowning with no help at hand. On the bright side you could look forward to seeing your mates (those that were still alive) and the joys of our local French village the good food, better wine and even better young ladies, ever willing to help spend our limited wages.

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	292248
    Having just flown over Dover, Lt Montague Anstruther-Browne (Biff) C Flights CO who had been showing one of our French Liaison Officers S/Lt Jerome Dupont the delights of London spotted 3 blips in the sky headed straight for the port and decided to investigate further.

Name:	003 P1450261 600.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	292249
    These were new machines to him but the bold Maltese Crosses indicated they were German and obviously up to no good, as Biff turned towards the nearest one it turned away, more intent on its mission than dog fighting with a British scout.

Name:	004 P1450262.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	292250
    Bullets were exchanged but little real damage done although Biffs rudder seemed a little unresponsive after the bullets struck his machine.

The Brown cameo German flew away from Biff towards the rest of his flight and the Observer continued to fire at the DH2 but caused no damage.

Name:	005 P1450266.jpg 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	292251
    Dupont who was following Biff also turned in to attack the bombers and poured a withering fire into the brown cameo plane but received a fierce fire back from the leading blue plane.

Name:	006 P1450266.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	292252
    A dramatized version of the previous rather distracting picture as Dupont attacks the 2 seat German planes but it continues on its bombing run.

Name:	007 P1450267.jpg 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	292253
    I’m using the roundabout in the centre of the houses as the target area and I’m using my I to direct the AI to the right area and I will drop the bombs. The British planes are both flown by Dave’s AI which explains why they are doing so well at the moment.

Name:	008 P1450268.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	292254
    This is only turn 2a and Dupont continues to fire into the Brown cameo plane setting it afire as well as jamming his guns solidly, as Dupont is on his first recorded mission with C Flight and because he’s French no one has told him about the mallet trick and so it’s going to take a while before he gets that gun unjammed.

I’ve obviously forgotten to add the +1 for shooting but unless I also forgot it later it’s not going to matter to the eventual outcome.

Biff has over flown the combat area and is going to be a long time getting back into the action.

Name:	009 P1450270.jpg 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	292255
    Jinking quickly to the left Dupont avoids crashing into the German plane, the Hun can’t fire because his gun is jammed, so the Observer just shouts obscenities.

Ahead of these two the Purple cameo and the blue plane are on a collision course unless one of them backs off.

Name:	010 P1450272.jpg 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	292256
    But that doesn’t look as if it’s going to happen. They get closer together as they approach the cliffs. That would be the pale brown cliffs of Dover that everyone knows so well.

Indeed could this be the lyrics for a song.

There’ll be blue Rolands over, the pale brown cliffs of Dover, tomorrow just you wait and see. It might need a bit of work but I’m sure there’s a song in there somewhere.

Name:	011 P1450277.jpg 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	292257
    I think I said that I was the I in AI, they collide the Blue Roland explodes, so that’s maybe why it took another 25 years before they picked up on my lyrics, Blue Exploding Roland’s is not such a catchy phrase.

Name:	012 P1450275.jpg 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	292258
    This is an overview at the point the Roland’s collide, both DH2’s are well away from the action, the good citizens of Dover are hoping the other two Roland’s will collide otherwise they are going to get bombed.

Name:	013 P1450279.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	292259
    Both Rolands are lined up nicely, they are going to be right on target, all they need to do is jink slightly to their left, they are at altitude 4 and so the bombs will be in the air for 1 phase after they are dropped.

Name:	014 P1450287.jpg 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	292260
    With the ride of the Valkiries playing at full blast the DH2’s are chasing after the Roland’s but have no chance of intervening before the bombs are dropped, unless the bombing run gets messed up.

Name:	015 P1450288.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	292261
    Purple has dropped his bombs and this phase they land on target, the pilot in the brown cameo jinks left and is perfectly positioned to drop his on target as well.

However there is a rule about not flying in a straight line when on fire.

Name:	016 P1450290.jpg 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	292262
    Which I remembered at the last minute and he jinks right and can not drop his bombs. There were a few expletives at this point.

Name:	017 P1450293.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	292263
    A couple of phases later both German planes are facing back the way they came with the open sea beckoning. Off to the right the fire has gone out on the Brown cameo plane and he’s quite a long way from the pursuing DH2’s but he still has his full bomb load on board and so will have to fly back to Dover and drop them. Over on the left the Purple Roland is enticed by the beckoning sea but is going to have to face at least one of the British scouts before running for home.

Name:	018 P1450294.jpg 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	292264
    Which is exactly what happens, Biff opens fire and hits the Observer in the Purple plane, the return fire is accurate but the pilot jams his gun in the process.

Name:	019 P1450296.jpg 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	292265
    Biff has turned his DH2 right, to try and stop the brown cameo plane making it’s way back to the centre of Dover but the Roland Pilot is as plucky as they come, in spite of being on fire for most of the mission he now attacks Dupont head on, both planes cause and take damage but nothing substantial or serious is hit in the exchange.

Name:	020 P1450297.jpg 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	292266
    Finally with a roar the bombs dropped by the purple plane explode and a plume of smoke rises into the air. (I forgot to put the smoke on when the bombs landed L)

The Purple plane is racing for home with a badly wounded Observer and Dupont over on the left is flying inland and isn’t going to catch him.

Biff and the Brown Roland are flying away from each other, which leaves the Brown plane a clear run for the centre of Dover.

Name:	021 P1450301.jpg 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	292267
    This does him no good at all, as he makes a rookie error and drops his bombs too soon and misses the target. As some sort of cancellation prize, Dupont has done an Immelmann turn right in front of the Roland and takes a burst of gun fire but it causes minimal damage. Off to the right Biff has also Immeled but he is a long way from the action.

Name:	022 P1450303.jpg 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	292268
    The final shots fired are from the Observer in the Brown Roland and unluckily for Dupont his DH2 catches fire. This means he has to fly around trying to put it out and the Roland escapes back across the Channel.

Butchers Bill

Name:	030.JPG 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	292273
    Lt Montague Anstruther-Browne: RTB – No Kills

Name:	031.JPG 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	292270
    S/Lt Jerome Dupont: RTB – No Kills

Name:	032 P1450306.jpg 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	292271
    Purple Cameo Roland

Wilhelm Heinrich: RTB – No Kills

Bertram H๖hndorf: RTB WIA – No Kills
    C&W Rolled 9 -1 WIA +1RTB = 9 - All well when you land well...

Blue Roland

Karl Grassmann: EXP – No Kills
    C&W Rolled 9 -3EXP = 6 Injured skip 1D3 – Rolled 6 = skip 3 Scenarios
    E&E Rolled 3 -1EXP -1WIC -1BEL in ENGLAND = 0 Captured, the war is over for this Pilot.

Dietrich Beer: EXP – No Kills
    C&W Rolled 11 -3EXP = 8 Injured skip 1D2 Rolled 5 Skip 2 scenarios
    E&E Rolled 7 -1EXP -1WIC -1BEL in ENGLAND = 4 Captured and Escaped Skip 1D3 Rolled 4 = skip 2 scenarios.

Dietrich was captured along with Grassmann but he managed to evade the lax British guards and escape. He had been to England before the war and knew that at Kingstown Beach near Walmer a small village only a few miles east along the coast the local fishermen pulled their one or two man fishing boats up onto the pebble beach using winches. He knew if he could set an anchor off the beech and reverse the pull of the winch he should be able to pull the boat into the water. If he was lucky he would find a boat with a sail but if not it was a long row back to home. Is he going to be lucky? Only Dave can say.

Dave You might want to penalise them more than -1 for BEL, I’ll leave that to you.

Name:	033 P1450308.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	292272
    Brown Cameo Roland

Paul Donhauser: RTB - No Kills

Hans Brandt: RTB – No Kills

Well that about wraps it up, another mission from Teaticket at HQ, a much more palatable one this time for the men of C Flight and a really enjoyable game, thanks Peter.

Every time I see Mikes games I get pangs of envy over how good his games look in 3D and think yes, I should try that and every time during the game I think bugger this is hard work moving stuff about so the plane bases can sit level. C’est la Guerre as the Irish say.

You may be wondering what happened to Drummond, is he coming back soon, or not at all, well as I’m keen to post this and want to play Barry’s scenario I shall pursue that story next time.
    Last edited by flash; 09-11-2020 at 11:29. Reason: Tally Correction

Nicely done John, a merry romp at the seaside ! Not sure why your flaming Roland couldn't bomb - there's no rule about having to fly straight when you drop a bomb so a sideslip would have done the job. Still the detour gave an opportunity for further fun !

Uncle says:

Well done for showing the flag over Blighty chaps, they'd be hard to stop with a full flight but you potted one so that's something for the people at home to celebrate. Pity plod couldn't hang on to the observer though. Still it's worth a beer or two to celebrate

Meanwhile on the other side of the lines:
    Ltn Bertram H๖hndorf was not as badly injured as first thought... +1RTB

Ltn Dietrich Beer is awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class for his service to the Kaiser
    ... Looks like he made it home OK John
    Last edited by flash; 09-11-2020 at 11:31.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

It’s great that you’ve caught up or nearly so. Hopefully we will soon find out if Drummond returns. 3 x for all the chaps surviving. My C&W dice are laced with poison.

I'm pleased Dietrich made it home, hopefully he found a boat with a sail.

I really must read the rules more carefully, I was sure you had to fly straight so the bomb went straight, I've since reread Peters response to my question about how big the target was and so the second bomb actually was a hit. Although either way it was a resounding German victory.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    It’s great that you’ve caught up or nearly so. Hopefully we will soon find out if Drummond returns. 3 x for all the chaps surviving. My C&W dice are laced with poison.
    I dip mine in the 98 brandy, it works wonders.

I enjoyed that AAR thank you. Your terrain really looks great in the pictures but do you find it a pain to maneuver your planes through it all? I’ve thought about making some terrain like yours but I assumed it would be a more of a hassle that it wouldn’t be worth the trouble.

Terrific Tale, John.
    I always enjoy yours - the side comments often draw a chuckle, if not an actual LOL!

REP (hopefully) inbound .... yep - just checked, it got through!

P.S. A great job by our Adler - even more so with Beer snagging himself some transportation home.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenur View Post
    I enjoyed that AAR thank you. Your terrain really looks great in the pictures but do you find it a pain to maneuver your planes through it all? I’ve thought about making some terrain like yours but I assumed it would be a more of a hassle that it wouldn’t be worth the trouble.

Name:	DH2 in dogfight 10.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	292305

Name:	CYM5 1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	292304

Hi Walter, In my opinion this is what WWI scenery should look like, I have lifted these from the posts of Mikeemagnus in the Over the Trenches section so you can get some idea of the excellence of it, look at some of his game reports.
    I'm a long time wargamer and my scenery is scratched together from various things I've made for different purposes. The roads and houses are 1/300 scale for North German Cold War Nato v Russia, the cliffs are a backdrop for my Sails of Glory games and are newish. The flat green areas are from hardboard tiles made years ago but refurbished to match the cliffs about a month ago, they are resting on polystyrene blocks to give them the same height. The bush scatter is placed to hide the joins as much as possible.

So to answer your question, my terrain is a complete pain to move the planes over and the only reason I do it for these games is to present my stories as best as I can for others to read and to look at, I would not do it for my own pleasure.
    However if you are starting from scratch I believe you could make something that is not so difficult to use such as Mikes base boards with the trenches and roads impressed in them, they won't impede your planes at all. That's a great start to 3d design, then it becomes more of a trade off as to what you add against what makes it more difficult to use but you can feel your way without too much pain.

If you go for 3D of any sort please post here as I know we would all be interested in how you approach it.

Cheers

Mike I hope you don't mind me pinching your photos.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 09-12-2020 at 03:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Terrific Tale, John.
    I always enjoy yours - the side comments often draw a chuckle, if not an actual LOL!

REP (hopefully) inbound .... yep - just checked, it got through!

P.S. A great job by our Adler - even more so with Beer snagging himself some transportation home.
    Thanks Pete, I don't really keep a tally but I think I have lost more games than I've won in this current series, doesn't say much for my flying skills though.

Pleased I make you smile, that's all I'm really trying to do, you're certainly not going to learn about WofW from me that's for certain.

Cheers

Smile

Well that might not have been the result you were wanting John but it was a wonderful read as usual.
    I really love the humour you weave into your story & your 3D scenery was excellent. Some deserved rep is on its way.

I will be flying the same mission next week but my scenery will be pale compared to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ....If you go for 3D of any sort please post here as I know we would all be interested in how you approach it...
    Thanks for the reply John! I’ve been making terrain for 28mm games for years so I’m not a stranger to building terrain. I love the look of your game and in an ideal world that’s how I’d play Wings but a lot of it comes down to time and like you said it’s a complete pain to move your planes around all your terrain. At this point I’ll probably not build some 3D terrain when I play but again your board looks so good that you never know.
    Last edited by flash; 09-14-2020 at 23:51.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well that might not have been the result you were wanting John but it was a wonderful read as usual.
    I really love the humour you weave into your story & your 3D scenery was excellent. Some deserved rep is on its way.

I will be flying the same mission next week but my scenery will be pale compared to yours.
    Barry good luck with your mission and i hope it goes well, I enjoy these games and winning and loosing doesn't really matter but you already know that. I'm pleased you enjoyed the write up, I believe we are all learning from each other and helping to improve our overall game reports, I know I'm learning from you all and in spite of appearances I'm trying my best..
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenur View Post
    Thanks for the reply John! I’ve been making terrain for 28mm games for years so I’m not a stranger to building terrain. I love the look of your game and in an ideal world that’s how I’d play Wings but a lot of it comes down to time and like you said it’s a complete pain to move your planes around all your terrain. At this point I’ll probably not build some 3D terrain when I play but again your board looks so good that you never know.
    Cheers Walter It all comes down to where we are going to allocate our time and resources to get the most bang for our buck, or in my case bang for my pound, Today I've spent 4 hours building a cliff to make a stop motion climbing video. There's maybe another 10 hours work before it's ready. Now this is not getting more than a small phuttt for my pound, but we do what we do.

Don't forget if you make it - post it.
    All the best.

Another delightful read John. Love the idea for the song about the brown cliffs of Dover. (How about "There'll be blue planes burning, oer the brown cliffs of Dover etc etc. - would that fit do you think? ) In fact, looking at your terrain, its possible your pilots mistook the village of West Hougham, or possibly Caple le Ferne, for Dover (there may even be a Monument devoted to your guys or their offspring at the latter today ). Either way it matters not 'cos the locals are going to be outraged either way

Glad you're envious of my three D terrain 'cos the bloody thing took for ever to produce this time around. Yours is just as good actually, except for the lack of white cliffs and the odd castle here and there Looks great apart from that. I agree about the need to move 3D bits - its a right pain. So this time I took the aircraft to a higher altitude to flatten out that terrain. Less to move that way!

Well you and I seem to have reversed positions in that I now have a great deal of catching up to do - so bye for now - back to the table it is

REP inbound, so duck - Er, you can stand up again 'cos I'll have to come back to that one. Seems you're the last person I gave rep to when I was on weeks ago. I'll be back!

PS
    Mike I hope you don't mind me pinching your photos
    Not at all buddy - my pleasure

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTCYM Mission 6 - Dog days of Aout - 12th August 1916 by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-2021, 20:39
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-13-2021, 17:09
  3. AAR OTT CYM Mission 6 “The Dog Days of August” 11/8/1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches