Ares Games

Thread: New Models

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Default New Models

How are things on the production side of the company?
    There are a lot of out of stock planes we would love to buy!

There is no production side of the company Mike... they have series of models produced by a company in China, once it's sold that's it for a long time.
    For WW1 they reprint series 1 every couple of years with new & old paint schemes, and every few years they reprint another series. The next expected one is series 5 (early war), which was Ares' first release in 2012, but when that will happen is anyone's guess.
    If it's shown out of stock, then you'll have to hunt for it on the second hand market as it's likely years out of production. Stuff comes up with reasonable frequency but the rarer models command high prices.
    The last reprints were series 1 & series 4 (which was new to Ares) released in 2019. The last brand new series was series 9 back in 2016. As yet there is no official word on a series 10.
    I know little of things WW2 but that seems more chaotic than WW1...!

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

That makes me sad!
    I am excited about early war planes and the Fokker scourge!

Mike, yes pickings can be slim but it's still possible to amass a large collection (speaking from experience and started in Oct)

If you're willing to try proxy planes and painting models you can buy from Shapeways then get bases here in aerodrome store, obtain maneuver decks on eBay or elsewhere (Immelmann pack (2x P and one G decks) and Watch Your Back (E, F, G, H decks) can be helpful for early war. The Eindecker E.IIIs are difficult to find and expensive so I went with the Pfalz E.II, very comparable. There are helpful threads on all the things including unofficial aircraft with rigorous committee-reviewed stats: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...p?do=cat&id=59

Good luck and enjoy the madness

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Thank you!

Ello Mike

Welcome to the Show. Enjoy yerself

I just reached out to Ares for a status-check on Guadalcanal the other day, and right now it's at they'll let me know what the next questions needing answers are when they know, nothing said about WGF or Sails even though I directly asked about them.

Right now priorities seem to be, in order:
    1. Boardgames
    2. BSG
    3. WGS
    4. WGF (most key types already done, so future probably largely reprints
    5. Sails (uncertain whether Continue, Reboot or Cancel ahead)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Our favourite model shop (Military Hobbies) has some really clever modellers who get an Ares release and repaint it then sell it. I bought a nice repainted Spad XIII the other day plus a couple of metal planes that someone had built and painted up (Albatros and SE5a). I also bought the brand new Chavannes Spad with the spider on the fuselage. Four new planes for my collection (well 1 Ares new one and 3 new builds/repaints). I am very happy with them.

It might pay frustrated collectors to ask at their games shop if they have any of those repaints or alternate models for sale. Our guy had a heap out in the back of the store that were not on the display counters. Some shops like ours have links to gaming groups that are usually full of clever modellers and builders so you never know what you can get if you do not ask.

I did very well too - a Wings of War Camel (Elwood) which is destined for a repaint as Breadner and a Wings of Glory Roland (Luftstreitkräfte).

Hopefully my Camel will end up something like this:

Name:  9DA764E5-3367-4FD0-8EEE-C151AF50A611.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  39.1 KB

Name:  46DCFB02-2A3C-4597-A0B6-C25E2136CFF2.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  54.5 KB

Good choice for the repaint, Biggles.

Biggles! Great Choice.

Mike, you can still find some Nieuport 11s and 17s fairly easy. Miniature Market still has a pretty good selection on their site.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Thank you inquiring with Ares and posting that info!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I just reached out to Ares for a status-check on Guadalcanal the other day, and right now it's at they'll let me know what the next questions needing answers are when they know, nothing said about WGF or Sails even though I directly asked about them.

Right now priorities seem to be, in order:
    1. Boardgames
    2. BSG
    3. WGS
    4. WGF (most key types already done, so future probably largely reprints
    5. Sails (uncertain whether Continue, Reboot or Cancel ahead)
    Naharaht posted this in the Officer's Club two months ago. It offers promising news for the entire line. I am particularly optimistic about the news regarding WGF and Sails of Glory...

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...reprint+series

Andrea sent this message out to members of he Yahoo Nexus group. My apologies if someone has already posted this elsewhere. It is more or less confirming what we already knew or suspected.

Dear all,
    sorry for the recent spam in the mail. I blocked the offender.

The game is going on and healthy. Last release have been a couple of bombers for players of the Battle of Britain set: Ju-88A (both in A-1 and A-4 subversions) and Dornier Do-17Z (Z-2 bomber version and Z-10 nightfighter version).
    Next ww2 releases will be Savoia Marchetti and S.79 and Blenheim. Pacific famed fighters will then follow, with time.

For WW1, the quite recent reprint of old Wings of War Series 4 with the long awaited Se5a was warmly welcomed.

Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles is going pretty well. Gorgeous miniatures have been released for Viper Mk.VII, following Raptor and Heavy Raider that came last year. The old Cylon war minis will follow, for fans of the 1978 series and of the Razor movie.

The reprint of the Sails of Glory basic set was sold out very quickly just before the lockdown, a new reprint will follow soon while we are testing new stuff.

The lockdown changed plans for several releases, but stay tuned for news!

All the best,

Andrea
    In addition to the odds on favorite of a Series 5 reprint I'm going to hazard an optimistic guess that Ares will repeat what they did in 2019 with the simultaneous release of Series 4A and 1B and offer straight reprints of a second high demand series with only one new paint scheme variant per plane. If this happens I suspect Series 6 will get the nod. Most of the Hanriots and Aviatiks are hard to find but the Sopwith Triplane and Siemens-Schuckert D.III are nearly extinct at retail and command bat guano loco prices on Ebay and at market. The Fokker D.VII may be in huge demand I don't think it would be very economical for Ares to do a Series 2B reprint as most of the other planes in that series are readily available at retail... but what do I know?!?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Sopwith Tri-plane and Fokker Eindekker are the 2 planes I would like to get 2 or 3 of.
    I suppose I can buy the S.E.5a and Pfalz dIII models and do repaints.

Same here. I would like to get several Sopwith Triplanes and paint up a whole flight. Same with Fokker EIII. I did a repaint of the 56th squadron Se5a with the McCudden version that a has been released. Turned out nice. In the Se5a painting thread. Miscmini has the decals that is needed.

I wouldn't mind seeing some Fokker DVII and Siemens as well. Those are fun plays to fly.

Spino, I WORK with Ares and my email from Andrea is within the past week. On reprints for WGF, they've tended to be pretty strict about sticking to sequence, 1-C (I number with original Nexus as "A") being the exception.

Then again, with the global supply chains still rebuilding (and I HOPE Ares has learned the importance of second-source arrangements) it's all up in the air. One thing I can confirm is at this point no more unique pilots/markings for WGS, right now they're thinking the future is all Squadron Packs with decal markings.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wyant View Post
    Sopwith Tri-plane and Fokker Eindekker are the 2 planes I would like to get 2 or 3 of.

Welcome Mike! if no one has warned you this game is very addictive and the resources are dwindling. BUY anything and everything in sight! While you can . . . a few things may come again, or they may not . . . the Aerodrome store and Miniature Market are the last sources on my list next to eBay and our Sale/Trade listing . . . Good Luck and have fun! Did I mention to buy what you can while you can?

Clipper, I have learned the hard way. Buy it or never get it. A few items I thought I would pick up later are now gone. Nowhere to be found. Wish I bit the bullet and got them when I saw them. That that is the way of modern games. Short print runs and lots of hope and prayers that there will be a reprint.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wyant View Post
    At this point I'll gladly settle for one of each Sopwith Triplane and Fokker Eindekker... LOL!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Peter
    Sorties Flown

Spino, I WORK with Ares and my email from Andrea is within the past week. On reprints for WGF, they've tended to be pretty strict about sticking to sequence, 1-C (I number with original Nexus as "A") being the exception.

Then again, with the global supply chains still rebuilding (and I HOPE Ares has learned the importance of second-source arrangements) it's all up in the air. One thing I can confirm is at this point no more unique pilots/markings for WGS, right now they're thinking the future is all Squadron Packs with decal markings.
    Ah, you're the guy! I saw a post from you a month or so ago but forgot your name. Pleased to meet you!

Thank you for filling us in. Given the pandemic's effect on the global economy I hope Ares can land a good deal with decent manufacturers for their next offerings. I am generally pleased with the Series 4A & 1B reprints (The Pfalz D.IIIs, Breguets and 2 of the 3 Albatros D.Vas turned out GREAT, the Fokker Dr. I not so much) but the QC is inconsistent (especially compared to the Nexus models).

Squadron packs make a ton of sense for WGS but I think a large part of the appeal of WGF are the colorful & unique paint schemes. To be honest I'm not interested in WGS (mainly because I've already spent a princely sum on planes, ships & accessories for WGF & Sails!) but sincerely hope it is successful and has a positive influence on Ares' other product lines. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Spino View Post
    In addition to the odds on favorite of a Series 5 reprint I'm going to hazard an optimistic guess that Ares will repeat what they did in 2019 with the simultaneous release of Series 4A and 1B and offer straight reprints of a second high demand series with only one new paint scheme variant per plane. If this happens I suspect Series 6 will get the nod... but what do I know?!?
    I like the optimism Peter but don't see it happening. Legend has it that the long (so very long) mentioned campaign & scenario book will be released along with series 5 so it might be just that.
    Whatever we get will be welcome, when is the big question, and running fourth on the priority list suggests a while longer yet .

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

My biggest regret was not buying the 2 balloon sets back in the day.
    Once I get my 3d printing skills where they need to be, I will print some.
    Usually whenever I order a part for my printer, I throw in a plane or two.

I've been thinking about getting the WW 1 Rules and Accessories Pack, along with a few planes, for some friends of mine for Christmas (I know, great gifts, right!). My kids and I love the game and we are constantly pulling it out to play. The issue that I have is with availability. As everyone here knows, it is easy to get hooked into this game and start expanding your cache of planes. I don't want to be asked after Christmas, "Hey, I've been trying to get a DR-1 and Sopwith Camel and I can't find them anywhere but Ebay ($$)." You wouldn't give someone a chess set and tell them that the rooks and bishops are not available now, but they should have a reprint in the next 5 years. Perhaps that isn't the best analogy, but it reflects the frustration I have of whether I should spend $75 per family WOG gift not knowing what the availability issues will be in 4 months.

To be quite blunt, I've been trying to encourage them to move out of China and look to Vietnam, India or Eastern Europe for years, and not just for international-politics and economics reasons, I always recommend that anything "mission critical" always have at least one redundant backup and preferably a full PACE plan.

P = Primary, business as usual
    A = Alternate, a slightly less preferable but acceptable Plan B
    C= Contingency, things are getting worse but it'll keep you going for a while until things hopefully improve
    E = Emergency, your plan for when everything goes to Hell

Balloons *are* somewhere in the long range plan IIRC, but not sure where.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

You could get them tripods and triplanes and a couple of planes

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Clipper, I have learned the hard way. Buy it or never get it. A few items I thought I would pick up later are now gone. Nowhere to be found. Wish I bit the bullet and got them when I saw them. That that is the way of modern games. Short print runs and lots of hope and prayers that there will be a reprint.

im in the same boat. i only bought one of each aircraft type not all paintschemes available. really wishing id have bought them when they were available.

The tripe is my favorite plane of the war, but I came into the game long after it had vanished from shelves, so I'd immediately purchase at least one of every scheme if they release a reprint.

I've been holding off on printing planes for which there is/was an Ares release, but with WGF low on their priority list (and the limited communication), it looks like that might be the only option...

I hope Ares considers putting the WGF starter set back into production, with all new paintschemes. It's a great resource for new and old players, as it comes with the 4 core fighters for any collection. An all black Jacobs Dr.1 would make an attractive substitute for the usual MVR.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    I hope Ares considers putting the WGF starter set back into production, with all new paintschemes. It's a great resource for new and old players, as it comes with the 4 core fighters for any collection. An all black Jacobs Dr.1 would make an attractive substitute for the usual MVR.
    If they do they better make a boat load and a half. All us regulars will buy them up not leaving many if any for newcomers!

The Aerodrome Store and Miniature Market still have the Rules and Accessories Pack and many models for sale including Fokker Triplanes and Sopwith Camels, John and Chris.

If they used the Nexus moulds, then you'd be talking but as they only did a reprint last year don't expect anything for another five, let alone all new paint jobs as they feel the need for newbie catch up.
    Still a number out there as David points out, as well as earlier releases, so grab them while you can.
    Last edited by flash; 09-13-2020 at 10:11.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The Aerodrome Store and Miniature Market still have the Rules and Accessories Pack and many models for sale including Fokker Triplanes and Sopwith Camels, John and Chris.
    I’ve been looking everywhere for a Fokker Triplane that I wouldn’t have to sell a child to finance but I couldn’t find any for sale at either site or for that matter any site including eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenur View Post
    I’ve been looking everywhere for a Fokker Triplane that I wouldn’t have to sell a child to finance but I couldn’t find any for sale at either site or for that matter any site including eBay.
    Never mind I'm an idiot. I meant I’ve been looking for Sopwith Triplanes not Fokkers.

Seven years out of production so they will be rare now Walter but you never know, people sell collections here.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Seven years out of production so they will be rare now Walter but you never know, people sell collections here.
    Feels like yesterday.

If they used the Nexus moulds, then you'd be talking but as they only did a reprint last year don't expect anything for another five, let alone all new paint jobs as they feel the need for newbie catch up.
    Still a number out there as David points out, as well as earlier releases, so grab them while you can.
    I was referring to the starter box set with rules, etc., and 4 painted miniatures. I know they just released Series 1 with the same aircraft, but I believe the full starter box set should be available as it's very attractive for new and curious players, and a nice way for us old guys to get more unique schemes.

I know but I can’t justify it. I don’t have unlimited money and I’m just starting my collection so I have to pick and choose what to buy. I can buy one rarer plane for 50 dollars or I can buy four new and planes for that same price. It’s a shame that some of the important and popular planes just aren’t available. I hold out hope that Ares in the future can reprint some of these planes but with the global pandemic that could be years if ever so I think for people like me our only hope is to turn to Shapeways.

I was referring to the starter box set with rules, etc., and 4 painted miniatures. I know they just released Series 1 with the same aircraft, but I believe the full starter box set should be available as it's very attractive for new and curious players, and a nice way for us old guys to get more unique schemes.
    Ach so. Ares never made that set, that was Nexus. They still come up from time to time, I bought one last year, still in it's cellophane, for forty quid.
    I see the appeal for new players but for the old hands just a reprint of series 1 would do the job, maybe a reprint of the dual sets would be more their mark.

"He is wise who watches"

I know but I can’t justify it. I don’t have unlimited money and I’m just starting my collection so I have to pick and choose what to buy. I can buy one rarer plane for 50 dollars or I can buy four new and planes for that same price. It’s a shame that some of the important and popular planes just aren’t available. I hold out hope that Ares in the future can reprint some of these planes but with the global pandemic that could be years if ever so I think for people like me our only hope is to turn to Shapeways.
    I've had good buys from fellow forumers selling here at very reasonable prices so don't give up the hunt, you never know.

"He is wise who watches"

I've had good buys from fellow forumers selling here at very reasonable prices so don't give up the hunt, you never know.
    Estate sales here also keep things in the community; if this site is still going when I buy the farm and my GF outlives me, Plan B is to have her contact whoever's in charge then to see about putting my collection up for sale and transferring whatever work-in-progress research projects I leave unfinished to someone who'll complete them. (Plan A still being find a museum to use them in a Wargaming as Education program.)

Estate sales here also keep things in the community; if this site is still going when I buy the farm and my GF outlives me, Plan B is to have her contact whoever's in charge then to see about putting my collection up for sale and transferring whatever work-in-progress research projects I leave unfinished to someone who'll complete them. (Plan A still being find a museum to use them in a Wargaming as Education program.)
    Great idea, I’ve thought the same!

My brother, who is a rabid model train enthusiast, has a sign in his train room that says “My biggest fear is that, if I die, my wife will sell my trains for what I’ve told her they are worth!”. She knows so she won’t but it is pretty funny.

Never mind I'm an idiot. I meant I’ve been looking for Sopwith Triplanes not Fokkers.
    Dont bother, the Sopwith Triplane model has to be the worst that Ares has published. I will not rant too much , this is my pet hate, the Triplane model is nothing like the actual aircraft, if you search the forum there are pics showing how bad this one is.
    The only thing worth the time with the Ares Sopwith Triplane is the man deck and base, the model itself is best used as target practice with a 10lb sledge and then replaced with a Shapeways version, trust me

This is why we never use the S and T words in the same sentence... it triggers Chris to have a Tourette's attack.

If you like the modeling aspect, you can always get some shapeways plane and your own. That is the direction I am taking for the Sopwith Triplanes.

Similar Missions

1. 1/144 Resin Models by AB Models
    By Karo7 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2019, 19:30
  2. How much do models add?
    By often in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 21:09
  3. New models
    By Doug in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 13