Ares Games

Thread: OTTCYM Mission 6 - Dog days of Aout - 12th August 1916 by Tikkifriend

Default OTTCYM Mission 6 - Dog days of Aout - 12th August 1916 by Tikkifriend

RFC

2Lt Quinten Marsh Nieuport

S/Lt JP Badard ( Eagle eye ) Tricolour

Res 2Lt Charles Parrot DH2

Central Powers

Hans Weis P Lozenge Halb CLII
    Frank Clauss O

Jann Bitten P Yellow Halb CLII
    Steff Grasse O

Hans Dorff P Alb CIII
    Eric Cammann O

With the chance to fly back to Blighty to have there crates tinkered with at Farnworth by the mechanical boffins and 2 days furlough while they did the work Bedard and Marsh could hardly believe their luck. Never having crossed La Manche JP was particularly looking forward to the culinary experience his fellow pilots described as "Fish and Chips "

washed down by something referred to as "Ale".

Deciding to take the shortest route across the sea they headed to Calais ,before striking North across the Channel towards the distinctive White Cliffs close to Dover.

Some 8 miles ahead of the Bulldogs 3 of the Eagles newest Tandems were about to line up for a daring raid on Dover harbour, in particular the piers which were used to load the constant stream of enemy ordinance and troops headed for France.

Due to their payload the Halbs and Albatross movement was sluggish to say the least. It wasn't long before Marsh caught sight of the lurid yellow of Bittens Halb.

Glancing at his fuel gauge he estimated he had enough to give the 2 seaters a run for their money and still have some left to get to Farnham, or land on the cliffs!
    The lead Halbs chugged towards the docks oblivious to Marsh and Bedard The RFC flight dived to get behind the tail gunners blind spot.

Both observers were concentrating on aiming their bombs so could not return fire even if they wanted
    Clauss loosed his bomb directly into the town centre,

Cammann was less successful , missing the town and docks completely but killing several cows.

Grasse shots were equally bad (0) but Dorff piloting the Albatross got a clear shot at Marsh, rounds ripping into the cockpit and wounding Quentin (3+Pilot,1) Marsh fired as he slumped forward (2)

. Badards rounds simply jammed his gun (0+GJ)

Grasse pounded Marsh as he passed on his starboard side till his gun jammed (3,0+GJ)

Coming from his recent refit Parrot saw the plume of smoke that had gathered over Dover. flashes from gun muzzles confirmed the presence of the German bombers

Marsh his plane and body in tatters glided towards the cliff tops surrounding the town. The Germans were more interested in getting home than chasing a wounded pilot.

The Halbs appeared to be faster than the RFC planes but Parrot and Badard managed to get close enough to pump a burst into Dorf, the Frenchman clipping the tandems rudder (2+LRD) Parrots DH2 took some well aimed rounds in the wing (3)

Weiss gracefully disappeared from sight a tail wind helping his return to friendly lines.

Parrot was gaining on Bittens Albatross when Dorf unexpectedly swung to starboard. Cammanns gun chattered then stopped abruptly (1+GJ,0)

Grasse joined in at long range Badard hit an oil line on Dorfs yellow Halb (1+Smoke)

Parrot inadvertently blocked JPs line of fire as he crossed behind the Halb

. Unfortunately the DH2 strayed into the Albatross field of fire Fire from the Albatross added another RFC pilot signed on the WIA list (1+Pilot)

Bedard opened up the throttle to max in the hope he might catch the nearest German plane before it escaped.but to no avail as the more powerful tandems left the the Nieuport in their wake.

Butcher's Tally:

RFC

2Lt Quinten Marsh: (Nieuport) FRTB-W / WIA 0 kills
    Rolled 5 +1RTB -1WIA = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = Skip 1 (lucky lad)

S/Lt JP Badard: (Sharp eye) (Tricolour) - RTB 0 kills

2Lt Charles Parrot: (DH2) RTB / WIA 0 kills
    Rolled 7 +1RTB -1WIA = 7 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenarios. Rolled 3 = Skip 1

Central Powers

Ltn Hans Weise: P2 Lozenge Halb CLII - RTB 0 kills - hit on target
    Ltn Frank Clauss: O RTB 0 kills

Ltn Jann Bitten: P2 Yellow Halb CLII - RTB 0 kills but 2 kills (livestock)
    Ltn Stefan Grasse: O RTB 0 kills

Ltn Hans Dorff: P2 Alb CIII - RTB 0 kills - 1Hit
    Ltn Eric Cammann: O RTB 0 kills

Well if you want to hunt those Halbs and Albs don't take Nieuports They were out gunned and slow and as a result there are 2 more RFC pilots in the hospital ( your role of the dice Ton Ton) A short but most enjoyable game Peter which fitted into my timeline nicely. And rep for picking up the slack when needed.
    Last edited by flash; 09-09-2020 at 04:44. Reason: Title adjust

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

As the Halb's don't appear for another year it's no surprise the Nieuports were struggling Paul !
    A N.17 might catch up to a Alb C.III though but the lesser marques would find it pretty hard. Doesn't look like you were blessed with a decent start position either but at least you got a few shots in.
    There seems to be a duplication of image & nothing for
    Badards rounds simply jammed his gun (0+GJ)
    Uncle says:

Dashed bad show - Jerry romping down the seaside and dropping eggs all over the place, shooting our kites and our pilot's up... Typical Hun trick using machines not flying for another year too... It won't do you know, just won't do !
    Time for a snifter and a lie down in a darkened room...

Meanwhile, beyond the lines..
    Ltn Hans Wiese (P2) is awarded the Iron Cross 1st class for his service to the Kaiser
    Ltn Erich Cammann (O) is awarded his Observer's Badge und the Iron Cross 2nd class for his service to the Kaiser
    Last edited by flash; 09-09-2020 at 04:48.

"He is wise who watches"

I looked at those tandems...thinking, “I’ve been using those in my 1917-18 scenarios”. Good show on surviving the encounter with time-warped planes.

Unhappy

Nice try Paul but your lads were up against superior Hun aircraft that time & were unlucky to suffer wounds as well.
    At least they got back to safety!
    Have some Rep to ease the pain.

As the Halb's don't appear for another year it's no surprise the Nieuports were struggling Paul
    It was a bit of a "What if " twist on the scenario

Still it might be the only way to get to GB soon.

Back from the Future, eh, Paul.
    No wonder our Adler did such a job on your silly English Knnniggets.
    Serves you right for flying a French plane in the mix, not to mention the oh-so-speedy DH.2

Was thinking of flying a Spit over the White Cliffs but..

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Was thinking of flying a Spit over the White Cliffs but..

The Spit would have looked good.

I'm impressed that you appear to have decorated 1 wall of your room to make it look like the White Cliffs of Dover thats above and beyond. When Ltn Hans Weise was flying straight at it in the 15th picture I was worried he would crash and burn, but more worried about the hole he might put in the wall. I doubt Mrs Tikki would be pleased.

1 metre thick granite wall thankfully so no fears there

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    1 metre thick granite wall thankfully so no fears there
    The French sure knew how to build houses, I expect you have huge oak beams in the roof as well. Probably riddled with woodworm on the surface but too hard for the buggers to get near to the centre of the beams.

I'm impressed that you appear to have decorated 1 wall of your room to make it look like the White Cliffs of Dover thats above and beyond
    I should say so too. Very impressive

Not so the slaughtering of British Beef though, or were they milking cows? That'll upset the milk quota. Either way its strange to think an Observers badge is warrented for bombing cows instead of a harbour. Maybe he left his spectacles at home.

Nice job there Paul and I do sincerely hope that your trips to the shores of Britain are in no way affected by anything that happens, or doesn't, in the near future I'm saying nothing about those two seaters

Have some rep

A valiant effort to protect the harbor. The German prototype tandem was a surprise!

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTCYM - Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August 1916 by flash
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 01:02
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-21-2020, 09:06
  3. AAR OTT The early days Mission 4 We are done!(Verdun)
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-30-2014, 16:30
  4. AAR Mission 15. Six Days Later. 52 Sq. (the Bulldogs)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-30-2013, 10:00
  5. AAR AAR mission 15 6 days after
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 11:53