Ares Games

Thread: Merging Black Holes

Default Merging Black Holes

The gravitational shockwave from two merging black holes has reached Earth after travelling through space for about seven billion years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53993937

I read this yesterday; not sure why astronomers were surprised by "mid-sized" dark stars. I mean, if two get close enough, they merge, so the mass combines. Why the thought that it's a surprise just because we hadn't seen it before
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I read this yesterday; not sure why astronomers were surprised by "mid-sized" dark stars. I mean, if two get close enough, they merge, so the mass combines. Why the thought that it's a surprise just because we hadn't seen it before
    Karl
    Stars are typically really far apart, so they usually don't collide. Have four stars the right size to form black holes that are close enough together to merge into midsize black holes which merge again like in this event is highly unlikely. We know this pretty well and that's why this is event was a surprise to see. I'm happy to go into more detail if anyone is interested.

Similar Missions

1. Dark Energy Stars = Black Holes ?
    By NewFlyBoy in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2020, 06:44
  2. The Mystery of the Holes?
    By clipper1801 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-03-2016, 06:21
  3. General Peg Holes
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 9