Ares Games

Thread: OTT-CYM-Mission 7 - "Snap the Trap!" - 19th August '16 by gully_raker

Post OTT-CYM-Mission 7 - "Snap the Trap!" - 19th August '16 by gully_raker

With the European Summer ending in a few weeks the ongoing battles at both Verdun & on the Somme continued to rage & the losses on all sides continued to grow.
    The Germans had just commissioned another 2 Jastas which meant the Allied Recon aircraft would come under further pressure from numbers of German Fighters.
    It was vital that every effort to photograph any activity behind the German lines be recorded & Artillery Batteries continued to be ranged.

At the Bulldogs Squadron the Commander had devised a plan to disrupt the German attacks on the Corps 2 seaters. Using the current cloudy conditions we would set a trap for the German predators. A single 2 seater would be taking photos along the German rear lines whilst 2 Allied Scouts would be patrolling under cover of the clouds waiting for the Germans to attack the decoy.
    As soon as the German aircraft pounced the Allied scouts would break cover & pounce on the German Aircraft..

SET UP

Two WOG mats or equivalent area
    One the No Mans Land Mat & any other such as Countryside, Industrial Complex etc joined on the long edge. The other mat is German Territory

The decoy 2 seater is set up as in the following photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRF 01.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	291866

The decoy 1/2 ruler in from the join & in the Centre of the No Mans Land Mat.
    Suggest this is modified so back of it's base lines up with the lane running between mats seen behind it in photo.

The 2 German Scouts 1 & 1/2 Rulers away on the German Mat also in the centre opposite the 2 seater.

The 2 Allied Scouts will set up behind cloud cover on the RH Edge of the Mats straddling the join as per photo below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRF 03.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	291867

All Aircraft arrive/move on Turn One
    The 2 seater will play a Stall manoeuvre each turn to take a photograph until attacked by the German Aircraft

The 2 seater will then turn for home following the first German Attack & make for the safety of its home base. To achieve this it must exit via the rear of the No Mans Land mat.

At least one German Aircraft should attempt to stop the 2 seater from returning to base safely.

Any Aircraft currently available may be used in this Mission.

Victory Points

The 2 seater is worth 10 points to Allies if Safely Home & 10 points to the Germans if Shot Down
    Each Scout shot down is worth 6 points to the opposing side & 4 points if Forced to return to base.

The Mission is designed that both Allied & German Forces will play it as stated & NOT swap sides!

Whilst the Mission is fairly simple I hope it will be enjoyable & allow folk to catch up with the Campaign missions.

Good Luck!
    Please post any Queries below.
    Last edited by flash; 09-08-2020 at 06:39. Reason: Title adjust

Thanks Baz, not too big a drain on the roster if it all goes bent !
    Last edited by flash; 08-31-2020 at 01:03.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Might be worth introducing a stall to the tandem's manoeuvres until it's shot at to simulate the photography and allow the Eagles to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Might be worth introducing a stall to the tandem's manoeuvres until it's shot at to simulate the photography and allow the Eagles to catch up.
    Good idea, Dave.

Or, maybe I'll just make mine a BE.2C .....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Yes Dave, I agree & I will add that to the BRF!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Yes Dave, I agree & I will add that to the BRF!
    Noted - I've carried that across to the compilation page

Looking good Baz , Will be in foreign parts virus permitting for the rest of Sept til early Oct so the AAR may be a tad late

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Flew this over the weekend, you may want to consider starting the tandem off centre, ie nearer their cover flight, or you may struggle to catch up with the Eagle flight. Note, all my models were the same speed, yours are likely to be the same.
    I made an adjustment when I set up for the game but it was not quite big enough. I slid the tandem back so the front of base (rather than the centre) was on the centre line but I think that if you line up the back of the base with the lane that runs between the two mats (in photo #1) and cue the Eagles off it as shown in the picture that would be enough to ensure good contact..
    When I post my AAR you'll see what I mean, still had a good game though.

Flew mine today.
    Definitely went south almost immediately, but at least I only have 1 C&W to roll, and that's just for WIA
    Pretty uneventful loss...

Looking ahead to see what John has in store for Mission 8

Better start thinking about Mission 9 as well ...

Look forward to seeing the AAR Pete, mine's getting lonely out there !

This may be my shortest game yet. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Next stop that bugger Vagabonds game, hopefully over the next few days.

Back from R&R and ready to go for this one Baz.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Back from R&R and ready to go for this one Baz.
    Welcome back Paul!

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT Cocky Young Men - Mission 5 "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 15:26
  2. AAR OTT BE Mission 19, 7 August 1918, "Amiens, Brother ..." (Carl Brisgamer)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-02-2018, 05:24
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2018, 19:50
  4. AAR OTTBE Mission 19 - Flash's "Amiens Brother.." 7th August 1918
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-28-2018, 00:36
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 12:23