Ares Games

Thread: Overdiving a Phoenix D.I

Default Overdiving a Phoenix D.I

The Phoenix D.I is unique amongst the WW1 planes in that it has two dive cards, a normal dive card and a short 'drop like a stone' dive card.

The usual overdive is the combination stall-dive-straight but does the Phoenix D.I have a second option, stall-'drop like a stone'-straight (or normal dive as the third card)? I think that I would accept that.

What do you think about an overdive using a double 'drop like a stone' dive? Is it a no-no on the grounds that it would overstrain the aircraft? Probably. If it was allowed, at present there is no way to represent this in the cards. I think that it would have to be stall-'drop like a stone'-stall where the second stall is not a stall but represents the second 'drop like a stone' because the stall has a short arrow on it.

Couple of things come to mind David -

If you use the shorter 'drop like a stone' for an overdive and follow that with the normal dive card you'd end on a steep manoeuvre and that may compromise your options for the next move compared to a standard overdive.

If you allow an overdive using a double 'drop like a stone' dive, then using the 'non-steep stall' as the last card would make sense as it ends the manoeuvre on a non-steep like the straight on a standard overdive.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I think Dave has hit the nail on the head here.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    I think Dave has hit the nail on the head here.
    By-product of building his wargames shed.........
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    By-product of building his wargames shed.........

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Couple of things come to mind David -

If you use the shorter 'drop like a stone' for an overdive and follow that with the normal dive card you'd end on a steep manoeuvre and that may compromise your options for the next move compared to a standard overdive.

If you allow an overdive using a double 'drop like a stone' dive, then using the 'non-steep stall' as the last card would make sense as it ends the manoeuvre on a non-steep like the straight on a standard overdive.
    Thank you for your helpful comments, Dave.

I have always considered that the straight played at the end of an overdive is not acting as a straight but is representing a second Dive because there is no second Dive card and its arrow is the correct length. However, your reminder that a Dive is a steep manoeuvre has made me wonder whether in the special circumstance of an overdive that straight ought to be considered a steep manoeuvre.

I had forgotten that the Phoenix D.I has a non-steep stall card in its manoeuvre deck and using that card would certainly bring consistency with the normal overdive. However, then the same question arises as above, as to whether it should be considered as a steep manoeuvre anyway.

Obviously I can 'house rule' my games any way I like but I am pleasantly surprised that no-one has so far totally rejected my suggestions.

The initial ideas brought up good points David and I too pondered the "steep straight" issue but as it's not mentioned in the rules I didn't open that can of worms and left it as is !
    Maybe three steeps in a row was regarded as a ste(e)p too far..?

Anyway, it was considering that issue that led me to suggest the 'non-steep' stall to maintain the consistency of the move for the D.I's steeper overdive with the normal one.
    I think the idea plays to the characteristics of the Phoenix D.I and give it a further dimension of game play so that's worthy of some REP if nothing else !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. General Servicetime of the Phoenix D.I
    By LOOP in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 07:36
  2. AH Phoenix DI & DII ?
    By Capt Croft in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 11:43