Ares Games

Thread: CYM Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August '16 -- Vagabond

Default CYM Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August '16 -- Vagabond

Good grief but I was frightened - I’ve mentioned in the past that my fighting trousers are a dull shade of brown, they’ve saved me many an embarrassing moment and this looked like it could be another of them.

I’d seen two of B Flight shot down and I’d got separated from the remaining two members of my patrol and was trying to make my way home without attracting any more attention from the German Airforce when I saw five on their damn planes up ahead. Hail Mary I thought and then realized what I was saying. Not being a practising Christian she was unlikely to go out of her way to help me. Not unless she was looking for an easy convert on that cold grey morning, and yes I think at that point in my short life I might have been an easy convert.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	291728
    This is me, Lt John Vagabond in my borrowed plane trying to creep around the back of a line of German planes. There were two batches of them, a pair up ahead, off to my right, some plane I didn’t recognise but they were flying in a beeline, straight for their own side of the trenches. They were followed by three planes I knew only too well, Fokker EIII’s and I would have been quite happy to edge past them and head for home myself. That is unless someone who will remain nameless hadn’t decreed otherwise. (Yes MIKE that’s you and if I get killed here it will be on your head)

I might have misinterpreted the brief a little but this is how I played it out.

The enemy took their first turn in a straight line (if that’s possible) and I made my move straight and then curling round them a little, and this is the position after the first turn. The lead pair would react once they heard gunfire and that was their undoing.

Name:	002 P1450209.jpg 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	291729
    The rearmost trio reacted when they saw me and started to circle, I continued to circle.

Name:	003 P1450211.jpg 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	291730
    This went on and on. This is the 2nd full circle I believe.

Name:	004 P1450214.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	291731
    Then I realized what Mike’s plan was and why I single-handedly was taking on half the German Airforce, they were going to collide with each other and I could fly home and claim 3 victims.

Name:	005 P1450215.jpg 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	291732
    It’s a brilliant scenario Mike. By this time the two planes up front have flown straight off the table and no one has fired a shot, it’s turn five.

Name:	006 P1450216.jpg 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	291733
    Ahh this doesn’t look good, the Hun has finally sorted himself out and with true Teutonic thoroughness they are coming to get me.

Name:	007 P1450218.jpg 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	291734
    One from the left, one from the right and one straight on, that ought to do it for them.
    I started thinking of Rosary Beads about this time and wondered if Mary might like to lend me a hand, - maybe not.

Name:	008 P1450219.JPG 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	291735
    Unfortunately for them the outside two tend a bit too wide and I am flying straight at the grey chap in the middle, I can feel my beautiful new plane shudder as she gets torn apart by German bullets but I can see I am knocking lumps off his plane as well. My gun stutters and then continues firing and I realise checking all those bullets has finally paid off.

I don’t usually use my Ace skill of bullet checker, I’m not a big fan of Special Abilities in games but mainly because I forget about them, however I know I’m going to need every advantage I can get in this scenario and so don’t forget this time. I decided not to use lucky pilot yet even though this one pass has destroyed half the points of my machine, things might get worse. If that’s possible.

Name:	008 P1450221.jpg 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	291736
    I Immel and catch the cameo Fokker unawares and his plane bursts into flames, must have hit something serious and that probably means he’s out of the fight.

The other two are all over each other again, there’s too many planes all trying to kill me and thank goodness they can’t co-ordinate their actions, I’m still waiting for the collision but it’s not come so far.

Name:	009 P1450223.jpg 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	291737
    Oh s**t I’m going to get tangled up with the rest of them and one is blazing like a torch.

I can see the fire damage is eating his plane away and I wonder how long he can stay in the air.

Name:	010 P1450226.jpg 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	291738
    I get through the morass of Germans and Imell again, getting a long shot at the grey one again but my gun does jam this time.

It’s no fun standing on my seat, hanging on with one hand and hitting the machine gun with the wooden mallet, the one I now carry with me like a talisman, especially while I try and pilot the plane with my left foot. Why would some idiot place the machine gun on the top wing, why didn’t they make it really difficult and position it under the fuselage.

Name:	011 P1450229.jpg 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	291739
    There’s lots of stooging around, planes all over the show and the cameo one is still on fire and belatedly I remember he has to return home if he catches fire.

Of course that means I nearly fly into him for the second time, but then he flies off home and I chase him for a while before realizing I’m not going to catch up and return to the fray.

Name:	012 P1450231.jpg 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	291740
    The two Fokker’s have been tooling around while I’ve been chasing after the cameo one, the blue striped one flew off the table when I wasn’t looking but I eventually got him back and here we are flying straight at each other.

Pleasantries were exchanged and I could see I’d hit his engine and I should have exploded, but the fuel tank self healed and it didn’t happen. All I could think was that it had been a wise decision not to use the lucky attribute earlier. With his engine damaged, blue stripe has to go home, (you can see I’m finally getting a grasp of the scenario).

Name:	013 P1450232.jpg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	291741
    A bit more flying about and I finally catch the grey EIII but he catches me as well. Blue stripe is headed left and home is to his right, this will become important.

My gun jams again and I start the ritual beating.

Name:	014 P1450234.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	291742
    I Imell and open fire on the grey Fokker, but realise my gun is still jammed so this damage doesn’t count, I bang the wall with my head a few times but all it does is shake the plaster loose.

The picture now shows that we are both headed right, towards their home.

Name:	015 P1450235.jpg 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	291743
    I get on the tail of the damaged blue stripe Fokker, thinking that with his engine malfunctioning he will be easy meat.

Name:	016 P1450236.jpg 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	291744
    But I miss, I can see the grey EIII sweeping in from my left but I’m too stubborn or maybe too stupid to let go of the Blue Striped one.

Name:	017 P1450237.jpg 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	291745
    And I miss again, fortunately Grey misses me and jams his gun or I would be pushing up the daisies at this point.

Name:	018 P1450239.jpg 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	291746
    Finally I’m on target and blowing large holes in the fabric of his crate but don’t hit anything serious.

Grey has now overshot and is going to give me time to finish blue stripe. So I hope.

Name:	019 P1450241.jpg 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	291747
    The pilot slumps in his seat and I cause more damage, I never realized these Fokker's were so tough to shoot down but I’m determined to do it.

Name:	020 P1450242.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	291748
    Even with a damaged engine and 2 full turns of pursuit I couldn’t get within close range. He was jinking about a bit and later I realized if I side slip, I go faster than if I just go straight, 2 years of playing before I found that out.

Name:	021 1450243.jpg 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	291749
    But the last long range shot does the trick and he dives down in a graceful glide, landing cleanly but a clear kill for me.

Name:	022 P1450244.jpg 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	291750
    The grey one mean time has reversed direction and has been chasing after us but too far away to be a worry, that is until I Imell and he catches me and I can’t return his fire.

We slide past each other and then both Imell and fly straight at each other yet again.

Name:	023 P1450247.jpg 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	291751
    Coming within range we both let fly and I can see I’ve done considerable damage to his plane, however the damage he’s done to my plane makes her unresponsive and I know I’m going to have to run for home soon.

Name:	024 P1450248.jpg 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	291752
    We pass within inches of each other, at least I do, for him it’s centimetres but we are both a bit white faced however you measure it. As we pass I manage a grim smile because I have one last trick up my sleeve and know what both our next moves are.

Name:	025 P1450249.jpg 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	291753
    I Imell again but he doesn’t and I’m on his tail, a long range shot sets his plane afire.

Name:	026 P1450252.jpg 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	291754
    And he crashes to the ground, I whoop with joy, until I look at the canvas streaming in ribbons from the shattered air-frame of the Nieuport and I very carefully fly home, wondering if Mary missed a golden opportunity to bring a sinner into the fold - we’ll never know.

Well Mike that was an exciting ride and if you had got me killed I would have damned you for a fool but the lucky attribute got me out of jail so well done. I don’t know if I got the scenario right as I don’t get internet in my war games room and so went with my notes which were a bit vague on what the first 2 planes did but as I didn’t bring on any reinforcements I’m taking the win.

Since I played and wrote this I’ve read all the game reports and am amazed at the variety in the results, and I’m astounded at the number of pilots who took on 5 planes on their own, you need to see some one about that, I thought I was being foolhardy fighting 3 of them.

Cheers

Butchers Bill

Name:	027 P1450253.jpg 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	291755
    2/Lt John Vagabond – FRTB – 2 Kills
    The Lucky Ace explosion being ignored.

Name:	028 P1450255.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	291756
    Ltn Freidrich Dannhuber = FLM – FT – No Kills
    C&W = Rolled 10 -2FLM = 8 injured - skip 1D2 - rolled 6 skip 2 scenarios.

Name:	029 P1450256.jpg 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	291757
    Ltn Walter Hubrich = SD, WIA, FT – No Kills
    C&W = Rolled 8 -1SD -1WIA = 6 Injured – skip 1D3 - rolled 3 = skip 2 scenarios.

Name:	030 P1450257.jpg 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	291758
    Ltn Hans Khun = FRTB – No Kills
    Last edited by Vagabond; 08-27-2020 at 13:05.

Thanks Mike, I followed your notes on uploading photos into the report and it seems to have worked like a charm. I checked it on my tablet and it looks OK there as well. I didn't touch the WYSIWYG button and did use the Preview Post which I'd never seen before even though it is in plain sight.

I have to say I would not have been able to figure your method out for myself so a big from me.
    Cheers

Thumbs up

Holy Moses! (or should I have said Mary )
    You certainly had divine assistance in that one John.
    I think you should attend the local Church every Friday for a month to give thanks!
    All joking aside. Well played mate. Having the Boom card negated certainly helped but that was the rule so good luck.
    I like you played the 3 Vs 1 game & it was a close one.
    Great story writing as we have come to expect so have some Rep on me.

Another interesting tale of JV and His Merry Men (without the Merry Men).
    Two Kills to boot!

I did like the special FRTB rules in this scenario - I wonder if it's something to consider as a standard House Rule for future campaigns?
    Perhaps modified so that an aircraft is forced from the fray, but with the qualifier that if the smoke or flame goes out while still on the table, a return is allowed?

Good to see you got the photo thing sorted - hope I can do the same on my next outing.
    I fiddled with a post and got it to work on a single pic - still unsure about multiples.

Huzzah! Two kills for JV. So not a bad outing at all. and all around I’d say.

I nearly had the same result as you. The lead two Huns nearly flew off the mat. So it ended up being two 3 on 1 matches instead of 5 on 1.

Well played John, the beginning made me dizzy but once Jerry had sorted himself out a bit it got lively; their tripping over each other may have saved a few of us !
    Nice to see the ultimate "Olé" from the lucky pilot skill, it was worth hanging on to it. You don't seem to have selected another inherent skill as per the scenario brief so I think Uncle will be selecting something for you.

Uncle says:

Well done old chap, that was a near run thing and lady luck was riding with you for sure. Bagged a couple of the blighters along the way after a lot of split arsing about the blue, if our witnesses are to be believed, so I think you might find
    Acrobatic pilot as an inherent skill useful in the future.. remember it's a once a game skill to start with, and try not to kill yourself in the process !
    Now lets go and celebrate.

Acrobatic Pilot:This pilot may perform a non-straight manoeuvre after an Immelmann, or, a Split-S.
    When you use this skill take five recovery tokens.

REP gun jammed..
    Last edited by flash; 08-28-2020 at 02:36.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Holy Moses! (or should I have said Mary )
    You certainly had divine assistance in that one John.
    I think you should attend the local Church every Friday for a month to give thanks!
    All joking aside. Well played mate. Having the Boom card negated certainly helped but that was the rule so good luck.
    I like you played the 3 Vs 1 game & it was a close one.
    Great story writing as we have come to expect so have some Rep on me.
    Thanks Barry, when I lost half the planes points early on I thought this was a mistake flying the mission as me, but it came good in the end, which I'm pleased about. I think it might have made me an ace, I need to check. I'm just about to read your game, hope it went well for you.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Another interesting tale of JV and His Merry Men (without the Merry Men).
    Two Kills to boot!

I did like the special FRTB rules in this scenario - I wonder if it's something to consider as a standard House Rule for future campaigns?
    Perhaps modified so that an aircraft is forced from the fray, but with the qualifier that if the smoke or flame goes out while still on the table, a return is allowed?

Good to see you got the photo thing sorted - hope I can do the same on my next outing.
    I fiddled with a post and got it to work on a single pic - still unsure about multiples.
    Cheers Pete, The photos went fairly easily, I'd done my normal thing of typing the photo number into my report and I'd got the 2 windows open, not something I've done on this site before but it does help reference things. Things were going swimingly except for the fact that I had two number 8 photos and only included 1 of them in the report so after that everything was out by one which confused the heck out of me.

Re the FRTB, if its a special rule I'm don't mind, but would prefer not to have it as a compulsory one cause I keep forgetting them. I'm sure it's not my age.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Huzzah! Two kills for JV. So not a bad outing at all. and all around I’d say.

I nearly had the same result as you. The lead two Huns nearly flew off the mat. So it ended up being two 3 on 1 matches instead of 5 on 1.
    I think if I'd had to face 5 enemy I would just have run away. I should check the scenario to see if I got it right but it was an enjoyable game which is really the point.

Thanks Dave, in my notes I made some comment about getting dizzy but forgot to include that in the write up.

Acrobatic Pilot it is - cheers

Well, well John. How have I managed to miss this one and others for so long. Guess I'm losing the plot Its a fine take on the mission and I shall say, with reference to your prayers - "Dia is Muire duit". The mission was originally the idea of a mate of mine who insisted on having three Albatros DIIIs and two Albatros DVas against my sole Albert Ball Nieuport. I was amazed to survive long enough to shoot down one of the DIIIs and chase off a second, but then I took so much damage I had to quit. My mate did point out that such actions took place for real, but not under our game rules and conditions. Hence the temporary changes to the rules regarding EA having to quit on a special damage card. It was intended to give you a fighting chance. Glad you took that opportunity and survived
    I think you were particularly brave to use 2nd Lt John Vagabond for this one and I would have been truly mortified had he not made it under such pressure. Well done you
    REP - I hope and very well deserved.

Well old 2/Lt Vagabond showed the stuff he was made of. Keeping the faith and throwing himself into the Hun time and time again paid off with or without Mary,s blessing. Thanks John, enjoyed this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Well old 2/Lt Vagabond showed the stuff he was made of. Keeping the faith and throwing himself into the Hun time and time again paid off with or without Mary,s blessing. Thanks John, enjoyed this one.
    We'll have less of the 'old' 2/Lt Vagabond, even if you are a whipper snapper yourself, and besides I am Acting Lt now, well until I post my next game report.

A most enjoyable read John, and being the first one I have cought up with for months all the more for that.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    A most enjoyable read John, and being the first one I have cought up with for months all the more for that.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    It's always good to see you in this part of the Forum.

Similar Missions

1. AAR CYM Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August '16 --gully_raker.
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 08:07
  2. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 5: Going Solo - 5th August 1916 - by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 07:55
  3. AAR OTTCYM - Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August 1916 by flash
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 01:02
  4. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 5: Going Solo - 5 August 1916 - {Stumptonian}