Ares Games

Thread: Fire and overdive

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Default Fire and overdive

My son and I disagreed on this last night.

Overdive can be used to try to put out a fire, I see it as a three move special action, otherwise why would the rule be there.

He argues that if you are on fire you cannot play any straights, and all three three maneuvers are straights.

Seems obvious to me, but teenagers often require other collaboration

A "Straight" has a small black direction arrow at the bottom left corner of the card, which points directly ahead (Wings of War - Nexus),
    or has a small blue direction arrow at the bottom right corner of the card, which points directly ahead (Wings of Glory - Ares)
    Other cards have an arrow pointing left, for sideslips as well as turns, or right.
    Climb, Dive, Stall and all these others do not have the arrow pointing directly ahead, so they are not "Straights".

<< RAP Basic Rules, page 6 column 2 "Card Anatomy" Climb and Dive are specifically excluded from being "straights"
    also see page 7 top of column 1 "Immelmann.................a player must plan a straight move (a card with the [ahead arrow] symbol)" >>

Overdive specifically allows two 'otherwise' "steep" manoeuvres back-to-back, Stall then Dive, provided the third card is a 'straight' <<RAP Advanced rules, page 15. bottom of column 2.>>

Also, see the note at the bottom of column 1 on page 15
    "The dive card looks similar to a straight, but it is not considered a straight as far as other rules are concerned..................and a dive is not considered a straight."

Then, page 16 column 2
    SPECIAL DAMAGE, FIRE DAMAGE

"If an airplane with flame counters executes an overdive, after the straight of the overdive it takes a 'B' damage card and discards as many flame counters as indicated.........."

So, my reading is that the plane MUST follow the Stall-Dive combo (neither of which is a "straight") with a compulsory "straight" (which is only allowed after a Stall-Dive combo).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Give him the rulebook Mike.
    The rules on p15 specifically say in regard to the overdive "It can be planned also by airplanes on fire, even if straights are normally forbidden for them".

"He is wise who watches"

The straight card played third is not causing the plane to fly straight, it is representing a second dive card. Since most packs of manoeuvre cards only contain one dive card and the length of the arrow on the straight is the same as the length of the arrow on the dive, using the straight card is the best way to show the second dive action.

Similar Missions

1. Special manoeuvres - Immelmann, Split-S and Overdive
    By Prodromoi in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-26-2015, 20:32
  2. New dive and overdive rules
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-14-2015, 05:38
  3. Spli-S, Overdive, while engine dmaged
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 5