Ares Games

Thread: CYM Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August '16 --gully_raker.

Default CYM Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August '16 --gully_raker.

Uncle stood outside the Squadron HQ Hut looking towards the Front Lines & Uncle was very worried!
    The aircraft from the mornings Offensive Patrol had returned piecemeal all showing signs of battle damage but one pilot had not yet returned. 2nd Lt. Jonathon Snow, the young 19 year old from Devon had not yet returned & his Airco DH-2 was nearing its 2 & 3/4 hour endurance limit. Uncle feared the worst!
    Suddenly he heard the familiar sound of a 100hp Gnome rotary engine blipping its throttle as it cleared the trees on the outskirts of Bentangles Aerodrome the home of the Bulldogs Squadron.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR DH-2 landing.jpeg  Views: 44  Size: 7.6 KB  ID: 291658" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The small pusher scout soon landed & a weary Jon Snow climbed out & inspected to shredded fabric on the wings of his aircraft as Uncle made his way to the scene.

"Ha Mr Snow, so good to see you back home safely. I was getting very concerned you might not make it!"
    "Sorry Sir but I had one deuce of a time getting back after I got separated from the patrol after we got jumped by a ruddy big mob of Huns"
    "Well" said Uncle, "better come into the Office & you can tell me the full story as you debrief"

Seated opposite Uncle & fortified by a glass of Uncle's excellent single malt Scotch, Lt Snow told his tale.

"After the dogfight petered out I found myself alone in the sky. No sign of any of our chaps or the old Hun!" "So I checked my compass & made towards home". "Not long after I noticed 3 German aircraft heading back towards their lines. One of those new Halberstadters & 2 Fokker E.III's. One Green & one CDL".

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 02.jpg  Views: 44  Size: 109.8 KB  ID: 291660" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I thought my best chance was to fly straight towards them, try to catch them unawares & bolt for home. Sadly that did not quite work out as I soon found myself under fire from one of the Fokkers but I managed to get a good burst into the tail of the CDL one.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 03.jpg  Views: 44  Size: 243.9 KB  ID: 291662" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I managed to "thread the needle" without any more damage as the Halberstadt & the green E.III collided in trying to chase me.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 05.jpg  Views: 45  Size: 187.0 KB  ID: 291663" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I must admit I had a rush of blood & thought "why not" so I pulled an Immlemann & got a good burst into the Halberstadt which had chased me & a lucky hit set him on fire.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 06.jpg  Views: 45  Size: 201.6 KB  ID: 291664" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Unfortunately I now found myself in a cone of fire from a Fokker & the D.II who no doubt wanted to get even. Fortunately not much damage resulted although my rudder felt a bit slack! { NOTE! I was a bit slow marking the Gun Jam on the D.II so the pilot got a "Free Hit"}

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 07.jpg  Views: 45  Size: 164.3 KB  ID: 291665" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As the Halberstadt turned for the German Lines the fire flared up.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 08.jpg  Views: 45  Size: 177.9 KB  ID: 291666" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I now found myself thoroughly committed as the CDL Fokker joined in the fight.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 09.jpg  Views: 45  Size: 207.3 KB  ID: 291667" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As often happens the aircraft separated to look for an advantage & I saw the Halberstadt continuing to burn as it headed towards German territory.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 46  Size: 185.3 KB  ID: 291668" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 11.jpg  Views: 46  Size: 176.7 KB  ID: 291669" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I soon turned the tables on the cream E.III but my deflection shooting was not good & no damage resulted!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 13.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 219.4 KB  ID: 291670" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

In the meantime the fire on the Halberstadt had flared up but had then sputtered out & the German pilot was able to land safely back at his aerodrome.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 12.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 195.5 KB  ID: 291671" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 14.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 115.9 KB  ID: 291672" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I continued my duel with the CDL Fokker & while he did more damage to my wings, I heard his Oberursel engine clatter & I knew I had caused damage to it.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 15.jpg  Views: 48  Size: 227.7 KB  ID: 291673" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Again we separated & rejoined the combat & this time I got lucky as I fired the last of the drum the Fokker suddenly exploded in front of me & it fell to earth in a fiery mess.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 17.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 191.9 KB  ID: 291674" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 18.jpg  Views: 48  Size: 197.5 KB  ID: 291675" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 19.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 162.7 KB  ID: 291676" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I now had a clear run towards home as the Green Fokker had finally realised he could not catch me before I reached safety. I knew I was getting dangerously low on fuel & had used up all my ammo drums.
    And that Sir is the tale of my Solo Fight!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 20.jpg  Views: 48  Size: 184.5 KB  ID: 291677" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 21.jpg  Views: 49  Size: 238.3 KB  ID: 291678" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Uncle stared at the young pilot for a few seconds before he spoke. "Well Jon, all I can say you were dammed lucky today & I trust you will be more careful in the future". A grin then broke over Uncle's face & he said. "However congratulations on you victory today which has been confirmed by one of our artillery batteries so it will be your shout in the Officers Mess tonight!"

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Jon Snow.jpg  Views: 46  Size: 4.4 KB  ID: 291680" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Thoughts & Observations

Well that was a most enjoyable Romp!
    I chose SNIPER as the second Ace Skill & did not need to use the Lucky Pilot skill.
    I decided to only play the 3 Vs 1 scenario for a number of reasons which I wont bother you with.
    I used Dave's D8 charts & no Altitude.
    It looked like it was headed for a Draw until that very last exchange of shots when the Boom card appeared which gave me the victory.

RESULT: A British Victory.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 08-28-2020 at 18:15. Reason: Title adjust

Default The BUTCHERS BILL!

Reserved for the Butchers Bill.

The Solo Pilot
    2nd Lt Jon Snow
    RTB- 1 Kill--Ltn Gerhard Bruning CDL E.III

Name:	<acronym title=BB 1.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 169.7 KB  ID: 291686" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Note: the 2 x 1 damage cards were given when the Halberstadt's gun was jammed. See note in AAR.

German Forces

Ltn Justus Lotz
    FRTB--Fire--No Kills.

Name:	<acronym title=BB 2.jpg  Views: 48  Size: 115.7 KB  ID: 291687" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn. Albert Heldman--Green E.III
    RTB--No Kills

Name:	<acronym title=BB 4.jpg  Views: 48  Size: 89.6 KB  ID: 291688" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Gerhard Brunig--CDL Fokker E.III-No Kills
    SD/BOOM/FT
    Rolled 7 - 3 Boom = 4 Injured.
    Rolled 6 = Skips 6 Scenarios.

Name:	<acronym title=BB 3.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 149.1 KB  ID: 291689" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by gully_raker; 08-25-2020 at 20:55.

Well played Baz, a unique start and foreshortened by being a three on one but a jolly good scrap for all that. Uncle decided Snow should get his inherent sniper skill as he made such good use of it; he'll have to make good use of the one shot chance in the future until he makes ace !

Uncle says:

Jolly well done young chap, bagged one and sent one packing, not a bad days work. Now let's get into the Mess and get your tab running !
    Last edited by flash; 08-26-2020 at 09:37.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Congrats on the victory and, I think, Jonathan's first victory....and here's you griping about the 'Boom' card. There's to the 'Boom Card' and Jonathan's victory

Nice one, Baz.
    Snow did your boys proud.
    Unfortunate for our Adler Bruning - he will be recovering until the campaign is almost over - but at least he survived.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well played Baz, a unique start and foreshortened by being a three on one but a jolly good scrap for all that. Uncle decided Snow should get his inherent sniper skill as he made such good use of it; he'll have to make good use of the one shot chance in the future until he makes ace !

Uncle says:

Jolly well done young chap, bagged one and sent one packing, not a bad days work. Now let's get into the Mess and get your tab running !
    Lt Snow thanks you Uncle for the inherent skill & the Bar Tab is indeed up & running!

Hi Barry. Great AAR and game. One on three is what we like to read about! Just wanted to ask, did you use limited ammunition rules or modified ammunition rules?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Barry. Great AAR and game. One on three is what we like to read about! Just wanted to ask, did you use limited ammunition rules or modified ammunition rules?
    Hi Gary. I used the OTT CYM Ammo rules which means the DH-2 gets to shoot 3 times before a drum change which takes 3 maneuvers. I usually will change a drum if down to one shot & the aircraft have separated which happened a couple of times in the game.
    The solo pilot was given both Lucky Pilot & Sniper ace skills but I did not need to use Lucky Pilot.

Roll on November '16 when we get twice the capacity for the Lewis !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Roll on November '16 when we get twice the capacity for the Lewis !
    AMEN to that!

A most enjoyable read Barry and a great outcome for your young pilot, well done Jon Snow.

Only down side is that the stricken Halberstadt got away or it would have been 2 victories instead of one.

I'm very late on this one Baz, sorry, but it was a great show. Well done. The take on the mission is an interesting one and young Jon Snow made a tremendous go of it. I'll share a pint with that one any day So glad he made it back to the barn and a good victory for the Bulldogs - always good that is

Rep inbound

Well done and some brave flying by young Jon. He had some luck on his side but he put himself in good firing positions to do the business.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 5: Going Solo - 5th August 1916 - by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 07:55
  2. AAR OTTCYM - Mission 5 - Going Solo - 5th August 1916 by flash
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 01:02
  3. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 5: Going Solo - 5 August 1916 - {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9