Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why no Corsairs Or Zeros?

Not likely to be popular, and also, probably a later version than the one likely being released, is the RN 1841 Sqn plane of Lt 'Hammy' Gray.

Link: www.vintagewings.ca - The Last Canadian VC - Robert Hampton Gray

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RHG19.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	295433
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Not likely to be popular, and also, probably a later version than the one likely being released, is the RN 1841 Sqn plane of Lt 'Hammy' Gray.
    All the more reason Ares would likely select his aircraft - we did get the 'Banshee' version of the Dauntless and an RAF Thunderbolt.
    I would definitely get at least one.

I'd buy one too, but from what I'm hearing at Ares--take this with a grain, I could be mistaken--the old-school Airplane Packs with "named pilot" cards are WGF-only and generic-plus-decal Squadron Packs like we got for BoB and have coming for Guadalcanal are the WGS line for the foreseeable future.

The repainters finally get the "base schemes" they want, the "specific squadron" fans get what they want and the individual-pilot fans get pushed over onto DIY Road. Were I calling the plays, I'd have the art department draw up a deck of Pilot Cards for each Squadron Pack unit and post it as a PDF in the Downloads section. Paper product is cheap and quick to produce and offers myriad game-expansion options, I wish I could understand why it seems so dug-in with the entrenched resistance.

At 1/200, you wouldn't see a lot of difference in the sculpts between a Black Sheep F4U-1A and Gray's FG-1, so it would be a simple redeco or repaint.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 12-20-2020 at 13:24.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    All the more reason Ares would likely select his aircraft - we did get the 'Banshee' version of the Dauntless and an RAF Thunderbolt.
    I would definitely get at least one.
    Still a headscratcher that we didn't get Best (killer of Hiryu, but he sacrificed his flying career blowing out his eardrums to do it), Cleland or Vejtasa (both SBD fighter-killers who transferred to fighters and made Ace).
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    The red surround on the national insignia didn't last long, it was high visibility and in the PTO pilots reacted to any red markings like a bull to a red flag. (This is why British Commonwealth units in the Pacific had two-tone blue roundels instead of the usual red and blue.)
    I'm really surprised they used red on the insignia at all, given that they removed the red "meatball" from the white stars post-haste after Pearl Harbor.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

At this point we will all be happy with whatever we get.

Squadron packs work for me. (in fact I touted them back in 2015/16)
    Makes more sense than one-offs - especially for WGS

Better depiction of the first Corsairs into action:

M485 Blue-Grey top is a prewar color from before the ANA standardized paint system. Light Gray is comparable to the Neutral Gray of USAAF bellies, now FS 36270.

This is what a Black Sheep Corsair should look like during Boyington's tenure:

I'd expect that since canopies are separate components, Ares will probably tool both Birdcage and Bubble parts but only use the bubble.

Same plane, a few months earlier:

The red surround on the national insignia didn't last long, it was high visibility and in the PTO pilots reacted to any red markings like a bull to a red flag. (This is why British Commonwealth units in the Pacific had two-tone blue roundels instead of the usual red and blue.)
    OK, this is weird: I can see the links to the images in my reply with quote window, but I can't see the links or the images in DB's post
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

So, we have official confirmation, Rob tells me that three-tone is the game plan for the Corsair.

So, we have official confirmation, Rob tells me that three-tone is the game plan for the Corsair.

sweet! love the 3 tone camo!

update on adding PTO planes: I'm talking with Dave about AIM models and I also put in a big anticipatory order on the store here.

But . . . ever since I stacked two mini Japanese fighters onto a miniature carrier in Axis and Allies, mixing carriers and planes has been my goal with miniature warfare, so my question is how folks like to introduce carriers into Pacific scenarios.

I printed one carrier over five sheets of paper as a test, but I can tell already that that scale is impractical for regular small batch scenarios. (I did see the threads with the massive foam board carriers and that is beyond awesome.)

Is there a good size for using them as targets with AA abilities, maybe even with scenarios with landing and take-off, that is suitable for 2-3 game mats? What are your preferred files and images? Would you bring your favorite file to a Staples to print in color? On posterboard or foam board?

If there are choices, it'd be cool to get one Japanese carrier and one American carrier, preferably ones that were around in the early war, maybe participating in the Battle of Midway, and even where I could get matching decals for Dauntless, Wildcats, Zeros and Vals.

Will, check 'HERE' for USN decals from Miscmini and 'HERE' for Japanese decals.

Anything Enterprise for the USN as she fought through the whole war including Midway.

For ships I don't use the same scale as they would dominate the table. I use much smaller, Topside Minis (HERE) and 1/700 models depending on the type of game I want to run.

Found these from his museum in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Looks to be solid blue to me . . .

Name:	FB_IMG_1575516518184.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	295521

Name:	FB_IMG_1575516527075.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	295522

Dave, that would be an early M485 Blue-Gray--note the six-position insignia. IIRC Boyington was flying Corsairs with other squadrons before he took command of VMF-214 in Sept '43.

Quote Originally Posted by JediSmurf View Post
    update on adding PTO planes: I'm talking with Dave about AIM models and I also put in a big anticipatory order on the store here.

But . . . ever since I stacked two mini Japanese fighters onto a miniature carrier in Axis and Allies, mixing carriers and planes has been my goal with miniature warfare, so my question is how folks like to introduce carriers into Pacific scenarios.

I printed one carrier over five sheets of paper as a test, but I can tell already that that scale is impractical for regular small batch scenarios. (I did see the threads with the massive foam board carriers and that is beyond awesome.)

Is there a good size for using them as targets with AA abilities, maybe even with scenarios with landing and take-off, that is suitable for 2-3 game mats? What are your preferred files and images? Would you bring your favorite file to a Staples to print in color? On posterboard or foam board?

If there are choices, it'd be cool to get one Japanese carrier and one American carrier, preferably ones that were around in the early war, maybe participating in the Battle of Midway, and even where I could get matching decals for Dauntless, Wildcats, Zeros and Vals.
    There are several Carrier images in the WWII Files section, for American and Japanese carriers. There are rules for attacking them, too.

WWII Download Files: Page 2

Air to Ship Torpedo Reference Sheet

As I have a 1/200 scale HMS Glorious Aircraft Carrier, I have used these "Landing Gear" files for planes on deck: WOG II Aircraft Landing Gear (Paper Model Boxes)

Yes, the model is unwieldy on a table, but for Convention Demos nothing beats it for getting attention.

Name:	20150301_GloriousCrop.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	295527
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

For ship scale, it depends on the scenario. My personal preference is 1/1000-1200 for big ships. That said, I intend to use 1/700, due to the availability of waterline models (and my lack of Clipper-like modeling skills).
    Full (1/200) scale looks great on the convention table.
    Karl

As long as the Corsairs are inverted gull wing pre-painted United States aircraft, available in mass quantities, I will be happy with whatever historically accurate color scheme they pick. It has been so long you could probably make me happy by chopping the wheels off a Stuka, throwing some blue paint on it, and breaking my glasses!

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Did someone say... Heresy ?

Nobody expects...

"He is wise who watches"

I would only use a Stukasair against Tripods so the heresy will cancel out. I am looking forward to legit airplanes and decks for Pacific theater adventures. Until then I continue to paint skirmish warbands!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Corsairs inbound.
    By Woof in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-19-2019, 19:38
  2. Who loves Corsairs?
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2016, 09:35
  3. Aim Vought Corsairs.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-23-2015, 15:48
  4. Corsairs: Johnny Lightning
    By Dark Horse in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 01:55
  5. WGSF Skypilot 1/200 diecast Corsairs.
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 17:23