Ares Games

Thread: CANCON 2021

Default CANCON 2021

Announcement by those running Cancon, the Canberra Games Society (CGS)

G-day,

The Canberra Games Society “Convention team” and the club committee have discussed the current Covid-19 situation, and have come to the sad conclusion, that Cancon 2021 is unable to be run in a manner to make it a viable or safe event.

The current 1 person per 4 square meters would reduce our capacity for players in each hall, by at least half. Our traders would be restricted in numbers of staff and customers allowed in their stands, our games library is unable to sanitise board games between users, and even card games would only be able to run with 50% participation. There is also the probability the canteen would not be allowed to operate.

One other issue is our main hall (Budawang) is currently the main ACT Covid-19 mobile (Drive through) testing centre. This removes the hall, the link building and the main carpark from our access.

The organising committee will meet again in October, but this will be to consider an ACT only, Wintercon style event for the weekend before Australia day. This will only happen if there are no restrictions of any kind, in place, or likely to occur.

One a happy note… We will be offering Cancon 2021 T-shirt and Polo shirts.

These will be available online, and will be made to order, so no spares.

The price will include postage as applicable.

Keep any eye on the CGS page for T-shirt and Polo Shirt details. They will be available until late December 2020. and will be posted on mid to late January.

Yet another one bites the dust, huge shame for all those hoping to go... lets hope this is all over soon or we will forget what everyone looks like

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Yet they're still planning t sell T-shirts for an event which won't be going ahead?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for the heads up Zoe. We can still hope for Wintercon.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Zoe. We can still hope for Wintercon.
    While I'm preparing for that as a contingency, I don't think the odds are good. Even Cancon 2022 isn't certain. The problem there is that the Budawang building will still likely be in use as the main drive in testing centre for the region.

Wintercon 2021 could be held in the smallest of the three main buildings, which is also much cheaper, but I think it's likely that even if there are no regulations enforcing social distancing, it's such an obviously good idea that many people won't go anyway, especially in the dead of winter when it can get bloody cold. That would make it non viable. The CGS only has around a hundred members, and even small conventions have a 5 figure budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Yet they're still planning t sell T-shirts for an event which won't be going ahead?
    Why not? It's all we have. Some people will want the complete set, this con has been running for over 40 years.

Similar Missions

1. DONCASTER 2021
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster Con
    Replies: 297
    Last Post: 09-26-2021, 04:46
  2. Wings over Wairarapa 2021
    By CaptMoonbeam in forum New Zealand Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2021, 11:54
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2020, 06:59
  4. Cancon 2015