Ares Games

Thread: Ballantine's Illustrated History of WWII?

Default Ballantine's Illustrated History of WWII?

Any one remember these? It was in the early '60's you could buy these for a dollar! I could buy one to read whilst getting the monthly crew cut at the barber shop. So began my library! There were a hundred of them! Lots of memories . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200819_133218.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	291470

These were great. I had quite a few in the day. I hope I still have some of them. Won't know for sure till after the movers come next Thursday. Actually it will be a while after the delivery before I can check as this won't even be on the priority list.

Still have one or two of mine.

Hello everyone, my name is Tom. I just wanted to introduce myself to you.
    David, I've had about thirty of these books since the 1970's. I love these books! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15978726784772907924418031312493.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	291479

Hi Tom - welcome to the drome from over here in the south west of England

lol, welcome, Tom! Great intro

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Any one remember these? It was in the early '60's you could buy these for a dollar! I could buy one to read whilst getting the monthly crew cut at the barber shop. So began my library! There were a hundred of them! Lots of memories . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200819_133218.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	291470
    Ha, I remember collecting these back in the seventies. The local newsagent in the small coastal town where I was boarding at the time used to get them for me.

The school I taught at was about 15km inland and I drove a bright yellow school bus.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Tom, from here 'across The Pond' in the United Kingdom.

I remember those books but I do not think that I ever owned one.

Thought I bought a bunch of them, but it looks like just these two -
    Both by Kenneth Macksey:
    Afrika Korps
    Panzer Division: The Mailed Fist

Amazon Link

Got them back in 1968 - my first real 'war books'.

Ah nostalgia ...... alas poor Yorrick I think I tossed my two out some time ago. They did not age well. One was on the Zero and the other Guadalcanal. I also had a tattered volume of "How England saved Europe" that I read many times too. It is about the Great War (1793 - 1815), Wellington and all that stuff if anyone is interested. Probably available as an E book these days.

Welcome to the 'Drome, Tom!

I've got a few of these - the ones I remember off the top of my head all referred to the Pacific war, since I was writing a carrier campaign located around the Solomon Islands and these were the only books I could find which listed ships' names for each historical battle/operation; thoroughly useful info!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

ive got a couple of those. i think one of thems for the ss. have to dig them out and look lol. always tried to pick them up whenever i came across them as they had excellent pics and were quite informative.

I still have a couple of dozen collecting dust on my bookshelf. They were good reads for their time.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2016, 00:38
  2. Not planes but a WWII piece of history
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-27-2016, 00:16
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 13:41
  4. The Immelman... Illustrated
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 35