Ares Games

Thread: OTT-CYM Mission 6 The Dog Days of August (11 & 12) by ShadowDragon

Default OTT-CYM Mission 6 The Dog Days of August (11 & 12) by ShadowDragon

OTT-CYM Mission 6: Dog Days of August 11-12 1916 – by ShadowDragon
    Original scenario by teaticket

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-%96-teaticket

The brick-red Thunderbird convertible turned into the long driveway, flanked by vineyards, that let to an attractive but homey house with a wraparound veranda. Tom was glad to be home. While it was an enjoyable flight it was a long one. Three American entertainers wanted to go fishing. He had taken them all the way up to Cape York and points in between there and Sydney – Port Stephens, Hervey Bay, Cairns. They had a gig in Sydney and, as keen fishermen, wanted a jaunt up the east coast.

It was the first long haul with the Pilatus Porter PC-6 that had picked up cheaply at an auction. A beautiful airplane and a welcome addition to the fleet of Koala Charters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYM0600.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	291357

The charter air business had been founded in the 20’s by his brother, Bruce, and his father-in-law, Jack. Bruce and Jack were actually the same age and had flown in the same squadron in the Great War. Tom was a generation younger – a late surprise to his mother – and had ended up marrying Jack’s daughter, Sofia. Koala Charters had been a very successful venture and more than paid the bills for the money losing venture that was the winery but the winery was the passion of his mother-in-law, Angelique. Originally from France and a long line of vintners, wine was in Angelique’s soul. Maybe they should have sold the winery and vineyard long ago but his father-in-law would deny his wife nothing. So they kept the enterprise going. Angelique insisted that one day Australians would come to appreciate their wine. Maybe. Tom could see that sooner or later the days of bush-piloting would come to an end and maybe by then the wine business would take over. Until then Jack and Bruce focussed on the airline. Angelique and Sofia focussed on the winery while Tom dabbled in both businesses. It was a happy mix.

As Tom approached the house his children and Sofia ran out to greet him. It was late in the day and the kids would be all wound up. Aw, that was okay. He’d get his father-in-law to tell one of his wartime stories which always got them settled.

Before long the whole crowd that was the extended family was on the veranda when Tom suggested, a twinkle in his eye, “Jack, you’ve never told the story of the first time you were shot down. I’m sure the children would love to hear it….as would I”.

“The FIRST time I was shot down!!! Don’t be so impertinent…”

“You were shot down, grandpa? What happened?” interrupted the eldest, Mikey.

“What happened? Well, I was killed.”

The two youngest looked on with eyes as wide as they’d go, but Mikey pinched his face and stared at his grandfather.

“I got better.”

Mikey still stared.

Jack chuckled at his joke. “Okay, I see I will have to tell you the tale. It was in August 1916. Your uncle Bruce was away being wined and dined for becoming an ace while the rest of us had to toil on. Three of us, Jock, Fergis and me, were called into the old man’s office. In addition to Sir Henry our flight commander, Flashman, was there. Sir Henry tossed a couple of photos on the table.

Name:	CYM0601.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	291356

“Gentleman, these were found on the body of a German officer shot down a few days ago.”

Everyone stared at Fergis as if he should know something about it, but Fergis just shrugged.

Rumsbottle went on, “I don’t think I need to tell you but, as you lot may might be too thick to figure it out, the Hun is planning an attack on the RNAS seaplane station in Dover. The admiral is quite concerned and since X Squadron has being making a name for itself he’s demanded that a flight of three planes fly back to Dover to shore up its defences.”

Before we left, Flashman gestured at Fergis, “Fergis, just a few words with you in private,” and the two of them headed off to another room.

Well the mission was a long shot. In those days you’d be lucky to intercept a raid, but luck was with us. Jock was flying further east up the coast while Fergis and I kept in close to Dover. It was good to be flying over water again. It reminded me of prairie wheat fields. We were flying high and decided to drop down to see what was what when we found ourselves on either side of three Hun Albatros C.III sneaking in to the port at a low altitude. That was quite courageous of them as Dover was a bit far from their bases in Belgium. They’d probably have to ditch.

Fergis ended up just ahead of an Albatros with Turkish markings. We recognized the markings from our time in the Mediterranean. What was a Turk doing here? Or was it being flown by crew that were soon to head down to Turkey?

Name:	CYM0602.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	291355

Fergis got a few rounds in…

Name:	CYM0603.jpg 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	291354

But the Hun or Turk, as it were, had the better of the exchange as the observer hit an oil line and Fergis’ Neuport started to belch black smoke. Maybe the smoke would attract Jock as we could use the help. The Hun two-seaters were a tough foe and they were rapidly nearing the RNAS station.

Name:	CYM0604.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	291353

I came down out of the clouds on the other side, close to a brown Albatros with clear doped linen wings and German markings.

Name:	CYM0605.jpg 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	291352

I got very lucky and hit something important. The Albatros exploded and fluttered to the sea. But I didn’t get off too easily. The Hun had damaged my flight controls.

Name:	CYM0606.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	291351

That made it two on two but the all CDL Albatros had a head start on reaching the station. I was closest so it was going to be up to me to stop it.

Name:	CYM0607.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	291350

I did a bit of damage to the CDL Albatros but not enough and the observer further damaged my controls. I was going to be lucky to get back to the aerodrome.

Name:	CYM0608.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	291349

Fergis did some cracker jack flying and got into a good position but, as fate would have it, his Lewis jammed.

Name:	CYM0609.jpg 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	291348

With my next chance at the CDL Hun I was on target – the Albatros started to jerk about. I had hit the engine, but luck wasn’t all going my way. My controls had been hit again. The Nieuport was nearly flying without my guidance.

Name:	CYM0610.jpg 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	291347

I kept at the CDL Albatros but the Turkish plane came in on my starboard side and hit my controls for a third time. That was it. The Nieuport went into a glide toward the water. I brought it down on the water without too much damage but I needed to get out quickly. We had put flotation devices into our Nieuports in case we ended up ditching but the engine would still drag the nose and cockpit under water. I was lucky. I got out and hung onto the tail. A skill from the harbour was coming out to pick me up. In the meantime I had a front row seat on the rest of the air shot.

Name:	CYM0611.jpg 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	291346

The CDL Albatros would have to head home. I expected it to drop its bombs to lighten the load which it did but unfortunately it was close to the port.

Name:	CYM0612.jpg 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	291345

I crossed my fingers but the bombs hit close to the quay. Not a lot of damage but still some damage – a parked seaplane got hit. Not a great success and there was still the third Albatros. Fortunately help was on the way in the form of a Scotsman called Jock.

Name:	CYM0613.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	291344

Finally Fergis got sorted out and blasted the Turk. Flames flickered around the Albatros but luck was still playing footsie with us as the Turkish observer’s fire ripped great chucks of wood and fabric from the Nieuport. Fergis headed back to the aerodrome.

Name:	CYM0614.jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	291343

That left just Jock to stop the flaming Turkish plane that continued toward the RNAS station but his Lewis seemed to have jammed.

Name:	CYM0615.jpg 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	291342

Those Turks were gutsy and accurate. Their bombs dropped right on the entrance to the station’s magazine. Wooosh! I though the whole cliffside would come down.

Name:	CYM0616.jpg 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	291341

It was too late but using that clever trick with a mallet we learned from some RFC chaps ferrying some RNAS Nieuports no less, Jock got his Lewis unjammed was determined to make the Turks pay.

Name:	CYM0617.jpg 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	291340

I wasn’t sure if it wasn’t Jock who was going to pay the price.

Name:	CYM0618.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	291339

But Jock persisted and the Turkish Albatros went down which was darn fortunate as Jock’s Nieuport looked as bad as Fergis’.

Name:	CYM0619.jpg 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	291338

So there I was sopping wet with seawater, sipping some hot tea and being driven back to the aerodrome by some friendly RN lads – “Great show, sir. You really blasted that Hun out of the sky. Pity of the magazine though.”

Still, I was feeling pretty chuffed at shooting down one Albatros, driving off another and most importantly being alive, when I arrived at the aerodrome. Jock and Fergis were in a lorry waiting for me. “Hop in, Jack. The admiral wants to see us ASAP.”

“Medals, you think.”

“Don’t know. They just said ASAP.”

Soon enough we were before the admiral and me still sopping wet.

“I suppose you gentlemen think I’m going to congratulate you for shooting down a couple of enemy aeroplanes. Well, I am not. Your job was to protect the harbour and a rather fine mess you made of that. Fortunately the magazine was not too damaged which is more than I can say about her ladyship’s fine china. Several pieces smashed due to the explosions. You’ll be paying for the damage out of your wages. X Squadron! Top notch flyers! Bah! You are to return to you home station at once. I don’t want to see you three around here a second longer than necessary.”

Well, we sure left there with our tails between our legs.

On the trip back to France, Fergis was in a foul mood.

“What’s with him?” I asked Jock. “He’s not upset by the chewing out the admiral gave us, is he.”

“Nay, laddie, he’s upset because I got the credit for downing the Turk even though he had done most of the damage. He says it would have helped to remove the dark cloud over his head, but now it’s still there.”

Tom interjected, “So what was the black cloud over Fergis?”

“in due course, Tom…in due course….but not tonight,” Jack smiled.

"In all my years of knowing you, dad, I've never heard the end of the story for Fergis."

Jack smiled.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 12-12-2020 at 16:31.

Victory Points:

Seadogs = 2 X 4 (tandem shot down) + 1 X 2 (tandem forced from battle) = 10 points
    Adlers = 1 X 2 (scout shot down) + 2 X 1 (scouts forced from battle) + 2 X 3 (bombing the port) + 1 X 3 (tandem making it home) = 13 points plus bonus points for damaging the admiral's wife's china.

Adler victory by a good margin.

Butcher’s Bill
    Note that I made some errors when doing the photos – as noted on the photos – which was due to my placing the damage cards on the wrong plane’s card. Although I did play it correctly despite this goof up.

The Seadogs

Nieuport 11
    FSL Jock MacDonald / FRTB-D / - / 1 kill

Name:	CYM06BBJock.jpg 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	291359

Nieuport 11
    FSL Jack Wilde / SD-Sea / - / 1 kill
    C&W: Rolled 11 – 1 SD – 1 Sea = 9; all well when you land well

Name:	CYM06BBJack.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	291360

Nieuport 11
    FSL Fergis O’Neil / FRTB-D / - / -

Name:	CYM06BBFergis.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	291361

The Adlers

Albatros C.III
    Obltn Karl Ray / SD - EXP / - / 0 kills
    C&W: Roll 5 – 3 EXP -1 Sea = 1; KIA

Ltn Franz Rolfes / SD – EXP / - / 0 kills
    C&W: Roll 5 – 3 EXP -1 Sea = 1; KIA

Name:	CYM06BBKarl.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	291358

Albatros C.III
    Vzfwbl Hans Schwendemann / FRTB-E / - / 0 kills

Ltn Alois Böning / FRTB-E / - / 1 kill, bombed the quay

Name:	CYM06BBAlois.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	291363

Albatros C.III
    Fwbl Alfred Garrelt / SD-FLM / - / 0 kills
    C&W = 7 - 2 FLM -1 SEA = 4; injured, roll = 2, skip 2
    E&E = 6 -1 FLM -1 SEA -1BEL = 3; captured and escaped, roll 4, skip 2

Ltn Christian Fiesler / SD-FLM / - / 0 kills, bombed the magazine
    C&W = 5 -2 FLM -1 SEA = 2; KIA

Name:	CYM06BBChristian.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	291362
    Last edited by flash; 08-19-2020 at 03:23. Reason: Tally Adjust (BEL & FRTB-E added)

Excellent, Paul.
    Your effects seem to get better and better with each post, and your story is getting more and more involved.

An Adler victory you say?

The bean counters are happy with the damage caused, I suppose, but there will be tears in the Fatherland when the news gets home.
    3 KIA out of 6 - a very black day for our side.

Koalas are not bears.
    Apart from that, a great AAR with good use of graphic enhancements

Love the bullet 'stream' overlays!

Neat special effects Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Stacking the dead like cord wood there Paul - nearly doubled your tally in one mission
    I liked your facsimile of the port and coastline, worked a treat with the mats in use and enhanced the action shots

Uncle says:

Well that was a bit of a disaster as far as protecting the port goes but you did your best chaps, at least you all got back in one piece and splashed a couple of the Hun fellows in the process. Couple of points with the Tally - you count as behind enemy lines for E&E & this is cumulative with being down in the drink - didn't effect the result on this occasion.
    Time for a hot toddy methinks.

Meanwhile over the lines..
    Ltn Alois Böning is awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class and Observers badge for his victory & service to the Kaiser.
    Ltn Franz Rolfes is posthumously awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class and Observers badge for his victory & service to the Kaiser.
    Last edited by flash; 08-19-2020 at 03:53.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Excellent, Paul.
    Your effects seem to get better and better with each post, and your story is getting more and more involved.

An Adler victory you say?

The bean counters are happy with the damage caused, I suppose, but there will be tears in the Fatherland when the news gets home.
    3 KIA out of 6 - a very black day for our side.
    The C&W rolling is a game all on its own. Don’t know about the fatherland but it left me in shock.

The involved storyline left out an important bit. It was supposed to mention that one of the fishermen was Bing Crosby which is a nod to my uncle who was a bush pilot and flew people - Bing Crosby, Neil Armstrong to northern Canada on fishing trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Koalas are not bears.
    Apart from that, a great AAR with good use of graphic enhancements
    Yes, they’re not bears. Oops. How did that get in there. Will edit it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Love the bullet 'stream' overlays!
    Glad you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Neat special effects Paul

Thanks, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Stacking the dead like cord wood there Paul - nearly doubled your tally in one mission
    I liked your facsimile of the port and coastline, worked a treat with the mats in use and enhanced the action shots

Uncle says:

Well that was a bit of a disaster as far as protecting the port goes but you did your best chaps, at least you all got back in one piece and splashed a couple of the Hun fellows in the process. Couple of points with the Tally - you count as behind enemy lines for E&E & this is cumulative with being down in the drink - didn't effect the result on this occasion.
    Time for a hot toddy methinks.

Meanwhile over the lines..
    Ltn Alois Böning is awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class and Observers badge for his victory & service to the Kaiser.
    Ltn Franz Rolfes is posthumously awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class and Observers badge for his victory & service to the Kaiser.
    Four more damage points and and all 3 Nieuports would have been in the drink too.

I was trying to figure out what to for the options. I had to go with the port one since the squadron is RNAS. Then I remembered the Sails of Glory coastline. Internet provided the aerial shot of the port and RNAS station. I’m looking forward to seeing Mike’s masterpiece which inspired me.

KIA - yikes. The roster is bleeding red. That’s all I can say about that.

Question. On E&E - in this case would that count only for the Germans being so close to the Uk or would it be for both sides?

Awards for the Adlers were well deserved on their part but shouldn’t it be Christian Fiesler instead of Franz Rolfes? When I checked the red dot on the bomb card with the cutout of the RNAS station schematic I used i lieu of a target card and it was dead centre over the entrance to the magazine. Good bombing or lucky bombing - it matters not

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    ..Awards for the Adlers were well deserved on their part but shouldn’t it be Christian Fiesler instead of Franz Rolfes?
    Nothing to do with bombing success - medal achievement is based on number of missions & kills - 2 missions & 1 kill gets Rolfes over the line for the Iron Cross, as well as a wooden one in his case.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nothing to do with bombing success - medal achievement is based on number of missions & kills - 2 missions & 1 kill gets Rolfes over the line for the Iron Cross, as well as a wooden one in his case.
    Ah, right! Makes sense. Ltn Rolfes

Thumbs up

Just got around to catching up on your AAR Paul.
    Well not a Victory but you made the old Hun pay a good price for his success!
    Great story line again & I like the way you have blended the generations together.
    I really like your shooting visuals. Top Stuff!
    Some Rep is on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Just got around to catching up on your AAR Paul.
    Well not a Victory but you made the old Hun pay a good price for his success!
    Great story line again & I like the way you have blended the generations together.
    I really like your shooting visuals. Top Stuff!
    Some Rep is on its way.
    Thanks, Baz. It’s been fun working out the backstory and learning bits about Australia. So much for write about what you know.

FYI - that’s some open pit coal mining up the Hunter valley. Sort of like the Grand Canyon. The things you learn.

Great story and AAR Paul. Rep on way. Love the way this game this game sends you down so many different avenues. One day you may all meet my Jasta's ground crew - names all gathered from Bunderslega 2

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Great story and AAR Paul. Rep on way. Love the way this game this game sends you down so many different avenues. One day you may all meet my Jasta's ground crew - names all gathered from Bunderslega 2
    Thanks. Look forward to meeting your ground crew.

Another excellent story, very enjoyable read as well. I probably said it before but the way you present the pictures and graphics works really well.
    The SoG coastline came in handy, well done to think of using it, made a big difference to the look of the game.
    Shame about so many dead Albatrii crew. Hummm a German victory! I'm not so sure about that .

Good to see Jack Wilde didn't die, that would take some quick thinking to explain away, but nice to see the old mallet trick working so well

PS it's good to see you made a few mistakes, makes me feel so much better about my continual screw ups.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 09-26-2020 at 01:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Another excellent story, very enjoyable read as well. I probably said it before but the way you present the pictures and graphics works really well.
    The SoG coastline came in handy, well done to think of using it, made a big difference to the look of the game.
    Shame about so many dead Albatrii crew. Hummm a German victory! I'm not so sure about that .

Good to see Jack Wilde didn't die, that would take some quick thinking to explain away, but nice to see the old mallet trick working so well

PS it's good to see you made a few mistakes, makes me feel so much better about my continual screw ups.
    Thanks for your comments. It took some experimentation and a wee bit of gnashing of teeth but I'm content with current presentation. The key factors were (1) does the picture complement the story and (2) does it help the reader follow the story. Should have been obvious criteria from the start - but eventually I do learn.

As for Jack Wilde taking a dunk in the channel, yeah, it would have taken some quick thinking as that was the one option for which I didn't have an explanation.

Mistakes? Mistakes? Me?

A fine yarn indeed Paul. Thoroughly enjoyed that. Like the story line, like the special effects. Thanks for the entertainment. Just one minor point of confusion - Am I going completely daft or did you attack Dunkirk rather than Dover. I got a little confused about that one. But it matters not I guess. It was a jolly good fight and fortunately Grandad survived to spin another tale of derring do

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    A fine yarn indeed Paul. Thoroughly enjoyed that. Like the story line, like the special effects. Thanks for the entertainment. Just one minor point of confusion - Am I going completely daft or did you attack Dunkirk rather than Dover. I got a little confused about that one. But it matters not I guess. It was a jolly good fight and fortunately Grandad survived to spin another tale of derring do
    Doh! It’s supposed to be Dover. Must have hit my head when I went into the sea. Will make the edits - for posterity if nothing else.

Well, a bloody scrum when the magazine blew. Probably the worst was the broken China.

Ah, you keep doing it, leaving us on the hook for the next story. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Well, a bloody scrum when the magazine blew. Probably the worst was the broken China.

Ah, you keep doing it, leaving us on the hook for the next story. Well done!
    I’m on the hook too. I keep waiting for suitable - ie not ambiguous - game results. Well we’re getting to the close of the campaigns so I think I will have to force the issue. But how? Depends on the scenarios we offered.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    I’m on the hook too. I keep waiting for suitable - ie not ambiguous - game results. Well we’re getting to the close of the campaigns so I think I will have to force the issue. But how? Depends on the scenarios we offered.
    It's a long way to November of 1918 so you may not have to force the issue. We may well continue on with our cast of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    It's a long way to November of 1918 so you may not have to force the issue. We may well continue on with our cast of characters.
    True, but I think I want something to happen by the end of this campaign....not that the story will be resolved, just moved along a bit.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT CYM Mission 6 “The Dog Days of August” 11/8/1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-13-2021, 15:57
  2. AAR OTT CYM Mission 5 Going Solo - 5 August 1916 by ShadowDragon
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-04-2021, 13:53
  3. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-20-2020, 07:23
  4. Replies: 13