Ares Games

Thread: OTT-CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27 July 1916 by Vagabond

Default OTT-CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27 July 1916 by Vagabond

I’ve called you all in this morning because we just received a call from Colonel Rigsby, yes the same chap who let us know about the German interest in his section of the lines. You know he reported the Huns were sending observation planes over each day, photographing specific targets and we were worried that they would see the build up of our troops in the rear trenches.

On this morning patrol I sent Bouncer along with Henry de Lacy, I thought it would be an ideal opportunity for Henry to impart some wisdom to Bouncer, God knows he needs it. Show him the way to attack a two seater and generally improve his confidence. Taki was also on patrol in the same area to act as back up if needed but generally to let Henry do some training. I expected it to be a fairly easy job for them.

“Yes Sir we know most of that but why the briefing now” I asked. Uncle looked sadly in my direction “Well the call from Col Rigsby was to tell me all three of our planes were shot down in flames, they all went down on our side of the lines and he has men out, as we speak, searching for the planes and the pilots and he’s going to call when he has some news".

We all went very quiet then, reflecting on our friends and hoping they might have survived, but three flamers in one fight was unprecedented and almost certainly there would be deaths or possibly worse, disfigurements. I’d seen pilots jump from their planes rather than be burnt to death, some carried a pistol to end it quickly, some just prayed it would never happen to them.

The Colonel gave me a brief description of the fight which took place at quite a low altitude and so he could tell Henry’s Morane with it’s red cowl from Bouncers with it’s black cowl and as you know Taki was flying one of the DH2’s and they are fairly easy to recognise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	291276
    Anyway, he tells me that the pair of Moranes appeared over his section of the front coming from the NW and the first of the German observation planes came from the SE.

Name:	002 P1450165.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	291277
    He could see that Berry’s black nosed plane was leading the attack with Henry acting as wingman. He’s fairly certain that the enemy aircraft was an Albatros, he thinks the C1 although you know what these Army types are like, they can’t tell an Albatross from a Seagull.

Name:	003 P1450168.jpg 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	291279
    Well it flew straight over the first target and must have taken it’s pictures well before Berry and Henry reached it and was flying on to what must be the second target a small farm house when they attacked.

It sounds as if he was right about the CI because it didn’t fire back at them from the front and we know the pilot has a gun in the CIII. He’s fairly certain that Berry’s gun must have jammed because it fell silent almost as soon as it opened fire. It must be much quieter behind the trenches for him to hear a couple of machine guns even if they were at a low altitude, but he said he was quite sure about it.

Name:	004 P1450169.jpg 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	291278
    Berry and Henry pressed the attack but by that time the Hun pilot had positioned his plane so the Observer could fire back, Berry being closest took the brunt of the return fire and then all the planes stopped firing, it sounds like multiple jams, they seem to have as poor a supply of bullets as we do.

Name:	005 P1450173.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	291280
    Berry must have cleared his jam because he opened fire again and just as quickly his gun fell silent. Rigsby told me his men were intermittently cheering and groaning as the fight went on. Around this time he said that they could see a second plane in the far distance coming from the east but couldn’t make it out clearly.

Name:	006 P1450176.jpg 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	291281
    The thing he did emphasize was the aggression shown by the black nosed plane, even when it obviously couldn’t fire the pilot kept hounding the German, it was as though he wanted to ram the Hun. The German pilot seemed oblivious to this, he must have been a very cool customer because he flew on over the second target and once past it their gunner started to fire again.

Name:	007 P1450177.jpg 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	291282
    Flying over what would have been his 3rd target the Observer didn’t stop firing at Henry so they obviously didn’t need that 3rd photo, but that’s when Henry’s plane caught fire and he started jinking around trying to put the fire out.
    Berry was back in action having cleared his 2nd jam. Did no one tell him about the wooden mallet trick for clearing jams? It seems like he was a man possessed, his prop was almost up to the tail of the Albatros. Maybe he’d heard how Vagabond here recorded a kill for ramming an enemy plane rather than shooting it down. Who knows!

Name:	008 P1450180.jpg 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	291283
    Rigsby said that the fire seemed to be causing a lot of damage to the red nose Morane but that as Henry was circling trying to put the flames out he was still following Berry and the Albatros.

Berry is almost in the cockpit with the German Observer and he got even closer still, probably too close to fire and take advantage of the situation.

Name:	009 P1450182.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	291284
    At the last minute rather than plough into the enemy, Berry pulled his Morane to the left and the German Observer took full advantage of the situation, pouring a withering fire into it and Berry’s plane started to smoke really badly. By this time the other plane that had appeared was recognised as a second Albatros. Rigsby told me they must be trying to cover a wide front and get pictures of the north side of his position as well.

As this was happening Henry continued his turn, but no longer following Berry and looked as if he was making for home. Rigsby said the fire seemed to be diminishing a little.

Name:	010 P1450185.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	291285
    The German continued to pour fire into Berry’s plane and the smoke turned to fire. At the same time, the 2nd German plane flew over its first target.

Henry flew away from the lines headed home but his plane was still on fire and Rigsby said he didn’t see him crash but thought it was inevitable.

Name:	011 P1450188.jpg 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	291286
    Berry’s Morane though, was well alight, and

Name:	012 P1450189.jpg 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	291287
    came crashing down in a huge fireball.

Name:	013.JPG 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	291288
    With the drama taking place up in the sky they hadn’t noticed a 3rd plane arrive, which the Colonel said was certainly a DH2, all scaffolding and canvas and has to be Taki. By this time the first German plane was well on his way back to no mans land and the second one had flown over 2 targets and was turning for home as well.

Name:	014 P1450192.jpg 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	291289
    Taki did what he always does, he went straight for the Albatros, guns blazing, Rigsby said the men started cheering again and he’s almost certain that the German pilot was hit in the first blaze of gunfire. The plane dipped and lost height but quickly recovered.

Name:	015 P1450193.jpg 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	291290
    He continued flying straight at the Albatros, the Colonel was sure he would just fly straight into it, there was a slight faltering in the gunfire from the German, almost as if the gunner had been hit but it quickly resumed in intensity.
    Thinking about it the Colonel is also sure that Taki must have been hit because his plane jerked hard to the left and zoomed up like it was on a wire, before it seemed to come back under control and continued in it’s hard bank to the left.

Name:	016 P1450195.jpg 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	291291
    Whether or not he was hit, Taki was swinging the DH2 back for a second attack when his plane burst into flames.

Name:	017 P1450198.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	291292
    But that didn’t seem to stop him at all, as he lined up for another run at the Albatros and they must have been thinking that the seven demons from hell were coming for them. Which indeed they probably were.

Name:	018 P1450199.jpg 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	291293
    Pressing his attack hard, the Albatros was taking a huge amount of damage but they are very strongly built, not like some of our planes and it continued to fly home.

Name:	019 P1450201.jpg 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	291294
    Then suddenly there was a big explosion, the fire must have caught the fuel tank he thought and Taki’s plane went down.

As I said earlier he’s got men out searching and will let us know how things stand.

Well that was a disastrous fight. I haven’t rolled the dice to see what will happen to my men and I’m not looking forward to the results. Let’s hope the dice gods are on my side.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 08-18-2020 at 02:17.

The Butchers Bill

Name:	020.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	291418
    2/Lt Henry de Lacy = FRTB – No Kills

The 3 tokens on the right are the fire damage, after the first one he was at 8 points on a 10 point aircraft, he managed to blow the fire out with his manoeuvrings just before he left the table but the plane was too badly damaged to return to the action. There was huge relief when he landed at the drome.

Name:	021.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	291269
    F/Sgt Wilfred Berry = SD/FLM - FT– No Kills

C&W Rolled 5 -2FLM = 3 Injured Skip 1D6 Scenarios rolled 5 = skip 5 scenarios.

Bouncer Berry crashed in a similar manner to his normal landing procedure, he closed his eyes and prayed, unfortunately he was trapped in the plane and suffered burns to parts of his anatomy that he doesn’t wish to show to any of his mess mates but he fully appreciated the tender care he received from the nursing staff and is in no hurry to get back to the Squadron.

Name:	022.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	291270
    2/Lt Ichiro Takahashi = SD/EXP - WIA - FT – No Kills

C&W Rolled 9 -3EXP - 1WIA = 5 - Injured Skip 1D3 Scenarios - rolled 1 = skip 1 scenarios.
    Taki has no memory of the explosion, he says that he was just going for the Hun and was sure he was going to get him, when the world went black and how he survived he’s no idea. Nor is he complaining either.

All I can say is thank goodness for some decent dice rolling, Mrs V couldn’t understand why I played with myself for a few hours and came out of my room in a very grumpy mood. She didn’t understand that was because 2 of my pilots had been shot down in flames and I didn’t know if they would survive. She thinks I should take up a proper hobby like fishing or golf. What can I say!

Name:	023 P1450205.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	291271
    Ltn Karl Grassmann - RTB - No Kills

Ltn Dietrich Beer = RTB - 1 Kill - Berry
    2 Photos

Name:	024 P1450206.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	291272
    Vzfwbl Wilhelm Heinrich – FRTB – WIA – No Kills

C&W = Rolled 7 -1WIA +1 Landed Safely = 7 Injured Skip 1D2 Scenarios = Rolled 2 = skip 1 Scenario.

Ltn Bertram Hoendorf – FRTB – WIA – 1Kill Takahashi

C&W = Rolled 12 -1WIA +1 Landed Safely = 12 Alls well when you land well.
    2 Photos

The German planes landed and their crew swaggered over to their mess, waving the photographic plates and giving the thumbs up, both planes having scored 1 kill each and the maximum number of photos. I’ve not added it up Pete because it was as comprehensive white wash as I’ve had, and I’ve had a few.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 08-19-2020 at 08:35.

Well that sounded worse than it came out.

None of your pics are showing

Or have I caught you in the midst of posting like I used to do with Dale (Setarius) and sometimes with Baz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE

Your Butcher's pics are showing now.

Perhaps you meant for the actual AAR to be just text, like Iain has done.
    It was a great telling thereof and REP is on its way.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 08-17-2020 at 18:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

Well that sounded worse than it came out.

None of your pics are showing

Or have I caught you in the midst of posting like I used to do with Dale (Setarius) and sometimes with Baz.
    I thought I caught John in the middle of 'photo insertion' too.

John, congratulations buddy - three flamers and the pilots all survived - to hell with the photos, that's what I call a result Enjoyed the AAR immensely but didn't see a single pic - guess I'm going blind as well as senile

Rep inbound (and not one of them a flamer, you'll be glad to know )

Thumbs up

Ye gods John what a disaster!
    At least all your Pilots survived which was a miracle if you ask me!
    Have some Rep to make you feel better old mate.

Hells teeth, it's this double picture posting debacle. When I posted yesterday all the pictures doubled up at the bottom. Then I went back and edited them and it all looked ok, so where they have gone since last night I've no idea. It really is most frustrating.
    I'll try and re-input them today.

None of the pictures were showing on my tablet but they are all showing on my laptop. I used the laptop to create the post so some how it must be linking to the pictures on my laptop although they are all on the wings of war site.

I've deleted them and re-inserted them in a completely different way to how I've done it in the past and this time it seems to have worked.

Can anyone point me to a definitive post on how to incorporate pictures because what I'm doing is too frustrating for words.

Anyway - sorry for the moaning and thanks for your interest, I've done mission 5 as well so might try to do that later.
    Cheers

Ye Gods, that was a rather bruising encounter John - thanks for persisting with the photo thing and letting us see the action. I notice that 2/Lt Henry de Lacy's Butcher's Bill has lost it's image though.
    I don't know what the cause of the issue is and have never suffered from it but I had taken to loading my images differently myself before it cropped up.
    I used to create albums and load the images into the AAR from the attachments upload manager, for some time now I just go from Insert Image / from computer and it all works fine.

Uncle says:

What a rum do ! Lady luck was seriously against us this time chaps but count ourselves fortunate that no-one bought the farm. Let us hope things go better next time out.

meanwhile from the other side of the front...
    Ltn Bertram Höhndorf is awarded the Iron Cross 1st class for his victories and service to the Kaiser
    Ltn Dietrich Beer is awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class & Observers badge for his victories and service to the Kaiser
    Last edited by flash; 08-18-2020 at 04:16.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Great pics John (all showing now) and, I repeat, another beautifully told tale

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Ye Gods, that was a rather bruising encounter John - thanks for persisting with the photo thing and letting us see the action. I notice that 2/Lt Henry de Lacy's Butcher's Bill has lost it's image though.
    I don't know what the cause of the issue is and have never suffered from it but I had taken to loading my images differently myself before it cropped up.
    I used to create albums and load the images into the AAR from the attachments upload manager, for some time now I just go from Insert Image / from computer and it all works fine.
    Dave I've always used the inset/upload image from the computer and then started getting the double picture postings. The last couple of times I've loaded the text and then edited the post, inserted 1 picture, saved it, then edited the post, inserted 1 picture and saved it, ad nauseum.

In the end this time I did it from the upload manager and it worked which is exactly the reverse of the way you have gone. It makes little sense to me, all I can think is I must have some peramerter set up wrongly, although I'm not aware of changing anything.

The pics are showing , so I read it al again just now.
    Even greater tale with the illustrations.

The double picture thing is not due to anything you are doing wrong.
    It seems to happen to some of us and not others.
    Keith was unable to determine the cause.
    There is no set pattern - some in the UK are fine, some not; same here in the USA.

I gave up worrying about it. "It is what it is."

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Dave I've always used the inset/upload image from the computer and then started getting the double picture postings. The last couple of times I've loaded the text and then edited the post, inserted 1 picture, saved it, then edited the post, inserted 1 picture and saved it, ad nauseum.

In the end this time I did it from the upload manager and it worked which is exactly the reverse of the way you have gone. It makes little sense to me, all I can think is I must have some peramerter set up wrongly, although I'm not aware of changing anything.
    I have no idea what the cause is John but am curious what method is used in thread creation and whether that will shed any light on the issue.

When you create an AAR thread do you save the text first and then edit to add the images, or,
    do you create the thread, add the text, then add the images before you save ?

I do the latter using the method mentioned earlier.
    It may have no bearing on anything but you never know. Maybe I'll try it a different way to see if I can trigger the fault.

You should be able to add all your pics in a sitting (under 1 hour) one at a time but without having to save each one, one at a time.. that way madness lies !
    Last edited by flash; 08-18-2020 at 13:01.

I get the duplicated images any time I post a picture.

Here's an example:

Name:	48-DSCN1619_InPixio.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	291299
    Last edited by flash; 08-18-2020 at 11:22. Reason: experiment on pic.. no duplicate now !

or,
    do you create the thread, add the text, then add the images before you save ?
    If you are doing a mini survey Dave, this is what I do too - Haven't experienced the duplicate problem this way yet.

Hmm - I played about with it Pete....

In Go advanced I used the image manager, selected the image, added it in line to the thread and saved it
    It appears as something or other[ATTACH]
    Then Edited the thread again and deleted the original [img] line - hey presto - no duplicate !
    Lot of work for an AAR though.
    Question is - how are you adding photos Pete ? - They are not appearing as attachments as mine do when editing.

And just to show I can - I took out the duplicate of your first pic in mission 4...

More work maybe but it is something you can do yourself with a couple of iterations of aerodrome open so you can match the pics to where you want them.

Rather than Hijacking John's AAR any further we'll look at this in the campaign thread here:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post536546
    Last edited by flash; 08-18-2020 at 12:56.

Thumbs up

The Photos were worth waiting for John. Well done.

Thanks Barry, I think my hands must be shaking more than they used to because the planes are a little fuzzy, mind you that might be the Shiraz, you never know.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting We Will Go - 27th July 1916 - Mike's AAR
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-18-2020, 03:22
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 14:07
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-17-2020, 13:05
  4. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 4: A-Hunting Flash Will Go - 27 July 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches