Ares Games

Thread: a jasta 25 squadron 50 story (2)

Default a jasta 25 squadron 50 story (2)

Haupmann Philip von Turpitz checked his watch again. Where were they? What were their names again? They'd arrived mid morning, all fresh and eager. Then the phone had rang and High Command had made it very clear he had no option.

Then he heard the aircraft engines. He crushed the urge to rush outside. Calm, in command. He casually left his office and leaned against the doorframe watching the two Rolands come into land. Where was the third plane? The planes rolled to a halt and the four men climbed out all smiles , punching and slapping each other. Well that's four returned.

"Go see Leutenant Posseldt and give him your report. Where's the other plane?

Brom's coming sir. We caught up with him but he was going slowly. He waved us on. He's sure to be ba"

The sound that interupted him was unrecognisable as that of an Albatros D.II engine that had taken off two hours ago. The plane clunked to a halt and the pilot leapt out of the cockpit shouting

"I got one, I got one"

Lucas Marcus Poseldt had great difficulty but he finally typed the following report:

Mission: Photograph railyard and surrounding depot 10 miles due West behind enemy lines.

Planes and pilots - Albatros D.II Pilot Leutenant Gustav Brom
    Roland C.II Pilot Leutenant Ludwig Giam Observer Leutenant Hans Browski
    Roland C.II Pilot Leutenant Wilheim Fahlsbrusch Observer Leutenant Johann Lasli

They spotted three enemy aircraft over the target and three AA machine guns in front.

Nieuport 17 - F/O M L (Emil) Harris
    Spad 7 - F/O Robert Kemp
    Spad 7 - F/O Edward (Eddie) Edwards

Brom led the attack against the Central AA machine gun which peppered his plane (2 + RRD) He pressed on, destroying the gun (5, 3) but suffered badly (3 + Engine Damage) As he pulled away he shot at the Nieuport 17 in his path (1, 0) Brom again closed on Harris (1 + RRD, 1) As the Nieuport filled his gunsights, he couldn't miss (0, 0 + Gun Jam) Sheisse

Meanwhile Giam attacked the right hand AA machine gun, both parties receiving damage - Roland (3) AA machine gun (2 + Gun Jam) As he flew past Browski finished the job (3) as the guns final shots missed (0)

Behind the railyard Kemp felt the sharp loss of power in the Spad's engine and was forced to return to base.

Browski got a perfect photo of the right hand depot, following closely behind Lasli also got the perfect photo.

The sky above the railyard was suddenly full of planes and machine gun bullets. Edwards riddled the Albatros (3) only for Brom to return the favour (4) Edwards tried to manoevre away from the hail of bullets, succeeding (0, 0) only to be hit by Fahlsbrusch (2 + Smoke) Brom then found the other Spad (Harris) in his sights (0). He tried again (4) and Fahlsbrusch added to Harris' misery (3)

The right hand AA machine gun opened fire as Brom flew too close (0, 0) but missed.

Suddenly the two Rolands found themselves sharing the same airspace. Giam looked up to see two wheels poking through his upper wing (2) only for them to quickly dissapear as Fahlsbrusch hauled back on the stick, without any damage (0) Every time Harris managed to earn some breathing space, a second later the Albatros was on him again (3 + Engine Damage) The plane was a colander of holes and his thoughts to getting out of this. Again came the sound of bullets ripping into the plane (1) and the Nieuport headed for home, straight downwards.

As Fahlsbrusch brought the Roland round, lining up for another photo, he gave Lasli a perfect shot that destroyed the right hand AA machine gun post (1, 3) with the AA machine guns missed (0, 0) Giam in the leading Roland set up Browski for the perfect photo. Lasli fired as they flew past Edwards (0, 2 + Fire) The Fire burned on (2) and the observer fired again (1) with the end of Edwards' Spad being delivered by the pilot (1).

Ignoring the final AA machine gun, by flying behind it, they were able to take six photos, two of each target and headed for home.

C/W F/O M L (Emil) Harris Rolled 8 S/D -1 = 7 Skip 1d2 missions Rolled 1, miss 1 scenario

C/W F/O Edward (Eddie) Edwards Rolled 9 S/D -1 = 8 Skip 1d2 missions Rolled 2, miss 1 scenario.

Addendum: Leutenant Marcu Posseldt survived both World Wars and one day he was being interviewed by a reporter about his wartime experiences.

"I must have done hundreds, if not a few thousand of these After Action reports, but one sticks in my mind, even after all these years. You interview, almost interogate, the pilots on their return. The majority are just relieved to be alive, and tired. They deliver a dull, monotone, factual report. Flew this direction, at this altitude, spotted enemy aircraft at this altitude, on this heading, engaged, shot at, was shot at, saw this etc, etc. 10-15 minutes maximum. They were on an adrenelin rush and just kept going. I'd try to interupt their flow, just to get one voice, so I could take some notes but then another would interuptwith another bit and off they'd go again. We spent a good half hour with the Roland crews argueing. Giam insisted that Fahlsbrusch owed him a new planesince he'd put his wheels through his top wing and Fahlsbrusch saying that if Giam had looked up he would have seen him and that maybe a bit more basic training was needed - that nearly caused a fight. Brom's first kill was from another Albatros pilot returning from another mission Fahlsbrusch's first kill was confirmed by Browski.

I needed a drink and we all went to the Mess. I know the first kill usually buys the drinks but I did it as they all still on a high, still moving their arms to describe various actions. I introduced them to the few other pilots in the Mess. They sat down at a table, drinking and talking. Slowly the volume subsided and within ten minutes, they were all sleeping like babies.

Hang on a minute, I've still got it somewhere"

Posseldt rumaged around in a desk and then

"Yes, here it is"

He produced an old photograph of five fresh, oil covered faces, asleep at a table with empy beer steins in front of them.

" I wonder where they are now"
    Last edited by camel crew; 08-17-2020 at 04:59.

Nice AAR Iain. Any chance of seeing some pics to go with it?

PS Its possible somebody will shift your report to the AAR threads. That would be quite normal

Ello Mike

Slightly photo phobic at the moment. I need to do some stuff on my lap top and phone to get it sorted. I can get the photo on my phone and then it all goes pear shaped. Doing odd missions following OTT campaign. This is the mission with my earliest planes/cards. Spad VIIs were played by XIIIs and the Albatros D.IIs were played by D.IIIs with relevant maneouvre decks. First time I've tried six planes and the solo sheets. Also figuring out how to introduce a scenario with six Rookie planes - you gotta start somewhere.

Great AAR - especially seeing there are no photos to guide you.
    You must take extensive notes..

Thanks Pete

Basic notes: Round 1, who did what to who, why n where. Round 2 repeat, etc. Took 12 rounds. then comes the fun of trying to write it up and hang a story around it. Loved the Posseldt idea when it came to me

Slightly photo phobic at the moment.
    Hi Iain, I don't know if the following will help or not in your situation, but in case its of any use at all, here is a guide to uploading photos to the Drome :

Uploading AAR photos to the Drome

There are different ways to add photos to a thread, but this is my step by step approach and it has worked for me for a long time now. Its time consuming and for large AARs with loads of pics, it can be very laborious. But perservere.

Photos -
    Step 1. Take photos with phone camera. Write AAR.
    Step 2. Connect phone to computer and upload photos to "pictures" file.
    Step 3. Create a file inside the pictures file and give it a name that suits the AAR. Just open up the pictures file, right click and chose "new - file", then name it and pop your photos inside.
    Step 4. Either with paint or picture manager, open each photo and resize. I use picture manager and resize all pics to 20% of the original. No need to save in both sizes unless you intend to print. The number of pixels will make no difference to the quality of the image as shown on a computer screen. But it will make a difference if ever you want to print the image, in which case use the original size or better. The reduced size will also save you huge amounts of space on your Drome account (see the "PS" below). Add photos to AAR script.
    Step 5. Close the file with the AAR photos in it. Keep your AAR open as a guide.
    Step 6. Go to the Drome web page and find the location of the place you want to post your AAR. Click on "Post New Thread" and give it an AAR heading. This new window is where your AAR is going to be posted.
    Step 7. Reduce the size of the screen showing the Drome page so that you can now see two open windows, the drome and your AAR in a window next to it.
    Step 8. Copy the whole AAR, (pictures and all, although these will not be transferred at this stage), then paste into the drome window. If you have given each photo of your AAR a simple reference number, these will appear in the Drome window and you can use this info in steps 13 and 14.
    Step 9. At the bottom of the Drome page into which you have pasted the beginnings of your new AAR thread, click on "Manage Attachments". Another, third, window, will appear.
    Step 10. Click on "Add Images" then "Browse". This will take you into your own files search.
    Step 11. Find the file containing your AAR pictures.
    Step 12. Locate the first image click on it and upload it to the third window. When that has been done ( a few secs only) a message appears at the bottom of the third window reading "Insert on line one".
    Step 13. Make sure you have clicked your curser in the Drome window at the exact point you want the photo to go - (this is where those photo reference numbers come in handy. I just remove them just before I click "insert on line one" - see next step).
    Step 14. Go back to the third window and click on the button which says "Insert on Line One". The code for your photo will appear in the correct place. Don't worry about spacing, the code will do that for you.
    Step 15. Repeat steps 10 to 14 for all images.
    Step 16. When you are happy that all has been included, go to the bottom of the Drome page and click on "Preview Post". make sure all is good. Then return and click on "Add Post". Job Done.

I think I've got this right and no doubt there are alternative solutions, but this works for me.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
    Mike

PS A modest subscription to the Drome will give you as much uploading space as you need and will also support the running of the site, which we all value so highly. No pressure
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 08-17-2020 at 01:29.

Enjoyable report, even without the photos. Keep up the good work.

Similar Missions

1. a 95 squadron jasta 25 story
    By camel crew in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2020, 17:09
  2. Italian Front: Jasta 11 versus 60 Squadron
    By john snelling in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2016, 16:11
  3. Squadron/Jasta, colours WW1!
    By Sparky in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 32